NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. GaGa73

Seagull droppings in water butt

I use water from a butt caught off a roof all the time, even seedlings and young plants. I think rain water is safer/better/more natural than chlorinated from the mains. I do use rainwater...
    I use water from a butt caught off a roof all the time, even seedlings and young plants. I think rain water is safer/better/more natural than chlorinated from the mains. I do use rainwater carefully though and aim the water at the soil/base of plants, especially with salad crops. A bit of...
    I use water from a butt caught off a roof all the time, even seedlings and young plants. I think rain water is safer/better/more natural than chlorinated from the mains. I do use rainwater carefully though and aim the water at the soil/base of...
    I use water from a butt caught off a roof all the time, even seedlings and young plants. I think rain water is safer/better/more natural than chlorinated from the mains. I do use rainwater...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Niall

Sunflower help!

Give it a good soak & feed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Danny30

Revice Struggling Plants

Sweet peas just last the summer. When I deadhead I just nip back to the next split. Some roses have a mass of blooms so you are only nipping back a couple of inches. Some flowers you nip back...
    Sweet peas just last the summer. When I deadhead I just nip back to the next split. Some roses have a mass of blooms so you are only nipping back a couple of inches. Some flowers you nip back quite a bit. If your annuals are wilting they probably need watering. I have some larger annuals in...
    Sweet peas just last the summer. When I deadhead I just nip back to the next split. Some roses have a mass of blooms so you are only nipping back a couple of inches. Some flowers you nip back quite a bit. If your annuals are wilting they probably...
    Sweet peas just last the summer. When I deadhead I just nip back to the next split. Some roses have a mass of blooms so you are only nipping back a couple of inches. Some flowers you nip back...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Weedstoo

Where should I plant these Herbaceous Perrenials?

Then just plant them on the ground. The ridge is only for heavy, waterlogged clay soil.
    Then just plant them on the ground. The ridge is only for heavy, waterlogged clay soil.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. tommymcg

Topiary lollipops

Hi Thanks for your advice in the past. Changed the size of pots and some greenery is returning. What should I feed them on? Thanks Tommy
    Hi Thanks for your advice in the past. Changed the size of pots and some greenery is returning. What should I feed them on? Thanks Tommy
    Topiary.jpg 20220321_155032[1].jpg 20220321_155025[1].jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Tara Jane

Deadheading

Got it. Thanks for the advice. I have now chopped it back. I can actually see two new heads appearing at the base.
    Got it. Thanks for the advice. I have now chopped it back. I can actually see two new heads appearing at the base.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Markluke

Coleus in pot

Hi,The pot looks big enough for a while, the test is if it dries out the compost every day or when you can see a bundle of fine white roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.Dont mistake a...
    Hi,The pot looks big enough for a while, the test is if it dries out the compost every day or when you can see a bundle of fine white roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.Dont mistake a bit of wilting as dryness in this very hot weather , if it does and the compost is moist, just place...
    Hi,The pot looks big enough for a while, the test is if it dries out the compost every day or when you can see a bundle of fine white roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.Dont mistake a bit of wilting as dryness in this very hot weather...
    Hi,The pot looks big enough for a while, the test is if it dries out the compost every day or when you can see a bundle of fine white roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.Dont mistake a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Weedstoo

Can anyone ID these plants, flowers, weeds?

Acer 'Garnet' (Japanese Maple)Equisetum arvense (Mare's Tail)Geranium (Crane's Bill)Meconopsis cambrica (Welsh Poppy)Possibly Chamereion angustifolium (Rosebay Willowherb)Nick
    Acer 'Garnet' (Japanese Maple)Equisetum arvense (Mare's Tail)Geranium (Crane's Bill)Meconopsis cambrica (Welsh Poppy)Possibly Chamereion angustifolium (Rosebay Willowherb)Nick
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Michael04

Help please Hardy Asiatic Lily White

Many thanks both :dbgrtmb: :thanks:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. doubleudee
    Like x 7

I think I've finally cracked it!

Thanks all, I'll probably 'try' to keep a couple alive indoors when it starts to get colder, but even my conservatory gets cold in winter overnight after the central heating switches off, but the...
    Thanks all, I'll probably 'try' to keep a couple alive indoors when it starts to get colder, but even my conservatory gets cold in winter overnight after the central heating switches off, but the greenhouse will be a lot colder if I leave them there. At least I've fitted an automatic watering...
    Thanks all, I'll probably 'try' to keep a couple alive indoors when it starts to get colder, but even my conservatory gets cold in winter overnight after the central heating switches off, but the greenhouse will be a lot colder if I leave them...
    Thanks all, I'll probably 'try' to keep a couple alive indoors when it starts to get colder, but even my conservatory gets cold in winter overnight after the central heating switches off, but the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. DevonPhil

Taming very established Wisteria

Hello Phil, well done! You've certainly got the Wisteria cracked now :) So....onto the exciting part where you make some changes. Keep us posted :biggrin:
    Hello Phil, well done! You've certainly got the Wisteria cracked now :) So....onto the exciting part where you make some changes. Keep us posted :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. wren1

Lupin aphids

I think the point is unless you have a Lupin that repels aphids your not going to get rid of them easily.I think the Lupin aphid is specific to Lupin so can't really see how growing something...
    I think the point is unless you have a Lupin that repels aphids your not going to get rid of them easily.I think the Lupin aphid is specific to Lupin so can't really see how growing something non Lupin is going to deter them from Lupin. :dunno:
    I think the point is unless you have a Lupin that repels aphids your not going to get rid of them easily.I think the Lupin aphid is specific to Lupin so can't really see how growing something non Lupin is going to deter them from Lupin. :dunno:
    I think the point is unless you have a Lupin that repels aphids your not going to get rid of them easily.I think the Lupin aphid is specific to Lupin so can't really see how growing something...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Eric Lai

Can anyone help me to save my Cherry Laurel

Thanks a lot
    Thanks a lot
    Thanks a lot
    Thanks a lot
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. RDM0801

Laying Turf on New Build Top Soil...

I'm not keen on applying anything to the soil I don't need to - added expense! If I can get away with just preparing the existing soil and laying the turf (with a couple of lengths of gravel...
    I'm not keen on applying anything to the soil I don't need to - added expense! If I can get away with just preparing the existing soil and laying the turf (with a couple of lengths of gravel trenches for peace of mind) then that's what I'll do!To me, the topsoil just looks like soil with a few...
    I'm not keen on applying anything to the soil I don't need to - added expense! If I can get away with just preparing the existing soil and laying the turf (with a couple of lengths of gravel trenches for peace of mind) then that's what I'll...
    I'm not keen on applying anything to the soil I don't need to - added expense! If I can get away with just preparing the existing soil and laying the turf (with a couple of lengths of gravel...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. New2Gardening

Need help to identifying this fern and any hints/tips

If it was mine I'd cut off all the old fronds (being very careful not to cut the emerging shoots). I did this on all my ferns back in late March - both deciduous (Drypoteris cristata) and...
    If it was mine I'd cut off all the old fronds (being very careful not to cut the emerging shoots). I did this on all my ferns back in late March - both deciduous (Drypoteris cristata) and evergreen (Polystichum polyblepharum) and both have come up a treat, looking really lush and perky.
    If it was mine I'd cut off all the old fronds (being very careful not to cut the emerging shoots). I did this on all my ferns back in late March - both deciduous (Drypoteris cristata) and evergreen (Polystichum polyblepharum) and both have come...
    If it was mine I'd cut off all the old fronds (being very careful not to cut the emerging shoots). I did this on all my ferns back in late March - both deciduous (Drypoteris cristata) and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Joe Bore

New Garden Advice!

Welcome to the forum @Joe Bore it's nice to see you have an interest in gardening, surprisingly not a lot of people do, i can tell you this from experience, if you enjoy it, however you start it's...
    Welcome to the forum @Joe Bore it's nice to see you have an interest in gardening, surprisingly not a lot of people do, i can tell you this from experience, if you enjoy it, however you start it's always a work in progress and there's always a lot of defining factors in that but you'll get the...
    Welcome to the forum @Joe Bore it's nice to see you have an interest in gardening, surprisingly not a lot of people do, i can tell you this from experience, if you enjoy it, however you start it's always a work in progress and there's always a...
    Welcome to the forum @Joe Bore it's nice to see you have an interest in gardening, surprisingly not a lot of people do, i can tell you this from experience, if you enjoy it, however you start it's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Stu66

What plant is this?

Mine are more 'spanish looking' however they do have scent and have white varients amongst them which I like very much
    Mine are more 'spanish looking' however they do have scent and have white varients amongst them which I like very much
    20220423_191135[1964].jpg DSC_0051.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. hi2u_uk

what do plants grown in

thanks im just going to hire 2 labourers and pay them daily at the end of the day. I will be buying everything else myself so i know where the money is goingIve found the geotextile membrane...
    thanks im just going to hire 2 labourers and pay them daily at the end of the day. I will be buying everything else myself so i know where the money is goingIve found the geotextile membrane but would a woven one or non woven one be best to put on top of the rubble before putting soil down :gaah:
    thanks im just going to hire 2 labourers and pay them daily at the end of the day. I will be buying everything else myself so i know where the money is goingIve found the geotextile membrane but would a woven one or non woven one be best to...
    thanks im just going to hire 2 labourers and pay them daily at the end of the day. I will be buying everything else myself so i know where the money is goingIve found the geotextile membrane...
    20220412_152118.jpg 20220415_140337.jpg 20220412_152118.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Kelc

Cabbage help

Aww thankyou
    Aww thankyou
    Aww thankyou
    Aww thankyou
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. New2Gardening

Looking for advice/tips on Acers

Welcome to the forum. I love Acers. I planted one at the back end of the year. I saw it on the cover of a catalogue. "Taylor", my surname, so I just had to have it. Though rather small it survived...
    Welcome to the forum. I love Acers. I planted one at the back end of the year. I saw it on the cover of a catalogue. "Taylor", my surname, so I just had to have it. Though rather small it survived the winter. It is a very delicate looking thing. I planted another Acer a few weeks back. They were...
    Welcome to the forum. I love Acers. I planted one at the back end of the year. I saw it on the cover of a catalogue. "Taylor", my surname, so I just had to have it. Though rather small it survived the winter. It is a very delicate looking...
    Welcome to the forum. I love Acers. I planted one at the back end of the year. I saw it on the cover of a catalogue. "Taylor", my surname, so I just had to have it. Though rather small it survived...
    IMG_1062.jpg IMG_1064.jpg IMG_1061.jpg IMG_1060.jpg IMG_1059.jpg IMG_1058.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice