1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pests, Diseases and Cures

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley

Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.!

That's got to have been the King Tom of the area! That's hilarious! :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley
    Like x 3

Did you know.... WASPS HATE PEPPERMINT..!!

Of my god, that's the first time I hear about this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley

An Organic Mite Control Spray for your Greenhouse..!!

Hiya Daisybelle :) As often as possible but for me 2 or 3 times is enough......an evening spray would keep foliage damp all night. I had peaches in a conservatory a few years back and red spider was...
    Hiya Daisybelle :) As often as possible but for me 2 or 3 times is enough......an evening spray would keep foliage damp all night. I had peaches in a conservatory a few years back and red spider was rife. I lightly sprayed with water regularly .....no sprays other than water for me on edible...
    Hiya Daisybelle :) As often as possible but for me 2 or 3 times is enough......an evening spray would keep foliage damp all night. I had peaches in a conservatory a few years back and red spider was rife. I lightly sprayed with water regularly...
    Hiya Daisybelle :) As often as possible but for me 2 or 3 times is enough......an evening spray would keep foliage damp all night. I had peaches in a conservatory a few years back and red spider was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Kandy
    Like x 6

Lily Beetles and Larva...

Strangely they ate my cream little but two orange ones survive. I knocked one off my plant and squared it under my foot, left a great big red blob on the patio
    Strangely they ate my cream little but two orange ones survive. I knocked one off my plant and squared it under my foot, left a great big red blob on the patio
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

Safe ways to deter Cats from your Garden Information only..

Cayenne or black pepper can be sprinkled around garden in your borders and anywhere you don't want them to go. This is rather unpleasant but harmless and apart from some sneezing it will...
    Cayenne or black pepper can be sprinkled around garden in your borders and anywhere you don't want them to go. This is rather unpleasant but harmless and apart from some sneezing it will eventually keep them away from the area I have found. Garlic, in a spray, which contains garlic oil also...
    Cayenne or black pepper can be sprinkled around garden in your borders and anywhere you don't want them to go. This is rather unpleasant but harmless and apart from some sneezing it will eventually keep them away from the area I have found....
    Cayenne or black pepper can be sprinkled around garden in your borders and anywhere you don't want them to go. This is rather unpleasant but harmless and apart from some sneezing it will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7.   » Normal Threads
  8. Baalmaiden

Annuals that slugs and snails dislike

I used this on my delphiniums but also (and not a joke) some electric slug rings which didn't kill but seemed to keep them off. Any way my delphiniums were untouched. Just mentioning the Grazers...
    I used this on my delphiniums but also (and not a joke) some electric slug rings which didn't kill but seemed to keep them off. Any way my delphiniums were untouched. Just mentioning the Grazers slug slug spray but at the moment unable to include links.I had a commercial slug electric fence...
    I used this on my delphiniums but also (and not a joke) some electric slug rings which didn't kill but seemed to keep them off. Any way my delphiniums were untouched. Just mentioning the Grazers slug slug spray but at the moment unable to include...
    I used this on my delphiniums but also (and not a joke) some electric slug rings which didn't kill but seemed to keep them off. Any way my delphiniums were untouched. Just mentioning the Grazers...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jacquiscrap

Lilly beatle and vine weevil, at it already!

Funny KT53 they never bother my Hostas but instead decimate my climing rose (typically only after I treat the black spot, I swear that rose hates me). Can’t grow strawberries they never last the...
    Funny KT53 they never bother my Hostas but instead decimate my climing rose (typically only after I treat the black spot, I swear that rose hates me). Can’t grow strawberries they never last the season and nematodes are so expensive here I tend to just work around with plants they ignore.
    Funny KT53 they never bother my Hostas but instead decimate my climing rose (typically only after I treat the black spot, I swear that rose hates me). Can’t grow strawberries they never last the season and nematodes are so expensive here I tend...
    Funny KT53 they never bother my Hostas but instead decimate my climing rose (typically only after I treat the black spot, I swear that rose hates me). Can’t grow strawberries they never last the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. The Buddleja Garden
    Informative x 3

Recently Emerged Buddleja Pest

Last year was the first time I'd seen significant aphid damage to Buddlejas, even to some B. davidii cultivars. It's been so bad so far this year (undercover), the aphids have even killed some...
    Last year was the first time I'd seen significant aphid damage to Buddlejas, even to some B. davidii cultivars. It's been so bad so far this year (undercover), the aphids have even killed some immature plants. This seems to be nationwide problem, with people telling me about distorted foliage...
    Last year was the first time I'd seen significant aphid damage to Buddlejas, even to some B. davidii cultivars. It's been so bad so far this year (undercover), the aphids have even killed some immature plants. This seems to be nationwide problem,...
    Last year was the first time I'd seen significant aphid damage to Buddlejas, even to some B. davidii cultivars. It's been so bad so far this year (undercover), the aphids have even killed some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Jenny_Aster

Pear Tree Under Attack

Ah well there goes another problem. There's a nice sycamore tree at the back of our house belonging to a neighbour, it's about 4 or 5m away and it's up against the fence. It's no problem, I like...
    Ah well there goes another problem. There's a nice sycamore tree at the back of our house belonging to a neighbour, it's about 4 or 5m away and it's up against the fence. It's no problem, I like it even though half of it overhangs, it doesn't block much sun. They've put a nest box on the tree,...
    Ah well there goes another problem. There's a nice sycamore tree at the back of our house belonging to a neighbour, it's about 4 or 5m away and it's up against the fence. It's no problem, I like it even though half of it overhangs, it doesn't...
    Ah well there goes another problem. There's a nice sycamore tree at the back of our house belonging to a neighbour, it's about 4 or 5m away and it's up against the fence. It's no problem, I like...
    oie_ovyEB5TiNdE0.jpg oie_2fdHoYnyXkZC.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. BB3

What's biting me?

Never heard of them. A bit impolite to bite when we haven't even been introduced! They don't look like flea bites . Had plenty of them when we had pets.
    Never heard of them. A bit impolite to bite when we haven't even been introduced! They don't look like flea bites . Had plenty of them when we had pets.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. DaveMK

What to do with Lichen on soil?

We used to get it in the front garden of a previous house - mature trees and a small, compacted 'lawn' etc. It usually disappeared of it's own accord through the main season. In borders, I'd agree...
    We used to get it in the front garden of a previous house - mature trees and a small, compacted 'lawn' etc. It usually disappeared of it's own accord through the main season. In borders, I'd agree - some regular mulching will help and will also improve the soil structure which in turn will help...
    We used to get it in the front garden of a previous house - mature trees and a small, compacted 'lawn' etc. It usually disappeared of it's own accord through the main season. In borders, I'd agree - some regular mulching will help and will also...
    We used to get it in the front garden of a previous house - mature trees and a small, compacted 'lawn' etc. It usually disappeared of it's own accord through the main season. In borders, I'd agree...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Alf

Tree Peony Problems

Flowers of sulphur is a good fungicide.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ViewAhead

Phlox Pharaoh Blue Eye

Thank you. :) Ah, I didn't realise they were prickly. Still, better than highly edible. :dbgrtmb:
    Thank you. :) Ah, I didn't realise they were prickly. Still, better than highly edible. :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Charentejohn

Mystery bugs in the soil-believed to be beetles eventually ?

I tried the grit method on all my pots, not sure if it worked, but I didn't lose any plants.
    I tried the grit method on all my pots, not sure if it worked, but I didn't lose any plants.
    upload_2024-2-21_12-33-49.png IMG_20220507_151704361_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20220507_151726789_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20220507_151743053_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20220507_151716244_HDR~3.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Els

Hello, i have an amazing 10 year old Red Robin hedge, but three plants seem to be diseased?

In that case, maybe something called Photinia leaf spot. If the plants have been under stress due to the extremes of weather (hot dry summers and wet winters), this makes them more susceptible....
    In that case, maybe something called Photinia leaf spot. If the plants have been under stress due to the extremes of weather (hot dry summers and wet winters), this makes them more susceptible. If your plants have been healthy up until now, the weather over the last 2 or 3 years might well have...
    In that case, maybe something called Photinia leaf spot. If the plants have been under stress due to the extremes of weather (hot dry summers and wet winters), this makes them more susceptible. If your plants have been healthy up until now, the...
    In that case, maybe something called Photinia leaf spot. If the plants have been under stress due to the extremes of weather (hot dry summers and wet winters), this makes them more susceptible....
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Paul-South-West

Problem Skimmia - What to do

Many thanks for that. Truth be told I think it is in a poor location in an inherited garden so I think you have hit the nail on the head. I will keep up with other posters' advice on mulch,...
    Many thanks for that. Truth be told I think it is in a poor location in an inherited garden so I think you have hit the nail on the head. I will keep up with other posters' advice on mulch, watering and feed etc. to give it TLC and give it the chance to be the best it can be in the location it...
    Many thanks for that. Truth be told I think it is in a poor location in an inherited garden so I think you have hit the nail on the head. I will keep up with other posters' advice on mulch, watering and feed etc. to give it TLC and give it the...
    Many thanks for that. Truth be told I think it is in a poor location in an inherited garden so I think you have hit the nail on the head. I will keep up with other posters' advice on mulch,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Andrew Wilson

Hornbeam Problem

What are the conditions like? I know hornbeam can be happy with damper soil than beech, but even they can have too much of a good thing. Or maybe the soil has dried out in the past .., and the...
    What are the conditions like? I know hornbeam can be happy with damper soil than beech, but even they can have too much of a good thing. Or maybe the soil has dried out in the past .., and the hornbeam was really struggling?
    What are the conditions like? I know hornbeam can be happy with damper soil than beech, but even they can have too much of a good thing. Or maybe the soil has dried out in the past .., and the hornbeam was really struggling?
    What are the conditions like? I know hornbeam can be happy with damper soil than beech, but even they can have too much of a good thing. Or maybe the soil has dried out in the past .., and the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. wiseowl
    Like x 3

Caterpillars

I wondered about that too @JWK - just because there looked like a definite 'head'. I've never seen one in the flesh though, and I don't even know if we get them round here, so I've no idea about...
    I wondered about that too @JWK - just because there looked like a definite 'head'. I've never seen one in the flesh though, and I don't even know if we get them round here, so I've no idea about timing. Mind you - I haven't seen any caterpillars yet. Probably still too early for them in my area.
    I wondered about that too @JWK - just because there looked like a definite 'head'. I've never seen one in the flesh though, and I don't even know if we get them round here, so I've no idea about timing. Mind you - I haven't seen any caterpillars...
    I wondered about that too @JWK - just because there looked like a definite 'head'. I've never seen one in the flesh though, and I don't even know if we get them round here, so I've no idea about...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. NigelJ
    Informative x 9

Leptospirosis, a warning.

I agree that squirrels can be dangerous. :hate-shocked:In the Lake District they have lots of sign on the roads telling the squirrels to go slower.
    I agree that squirrels can be dangerous. :hate-shocked:In the Lake District they have lots of sign on the roads telling the squirrels to go slower.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. siliconglen

Rhododendron looking very poorly - what do to?

Take the flower bud off, cut back all dead wood to living wood, clear all competing plants or weeds from the area.Leave it for now and watch it closely for new growth, if it wants to survive it...
    Take the flower bud off, cut back all dead wood to living wood, clear all competing plants or weeds from the area.Leave it for now and watch it closely for new growth, if it wants to survive it will, will it look good, probably not for a few years.
    Take the flower bud off, cut back all dead wood to living wood, clear all competing plants or weeds from the area.Leave it for now and watch it closely for new growth, if it wants to survive it will, will it look good, probably not for a few...
    Take the flower bud off, cut back all dead wood to living wood, clear all competing plants or weeds from the area.Leave it for now and watch it closely for new growth, if it wants to survive it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Quovadisuk

Fruit tree issue with I think is a disease?

Juvenile beech trees also retain their leaves over winter.
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. mick

Pests

I haven't had issues with voles but deer will create that sort of damage.What is the shrub please Mick?
    I haven't had issues with voles but deer will create that sort of damage.What is the shrub please Mick?
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. ricky101

Red Spider Mite - Eggs ?

Have never used any biological predators and take your point about their leaves being too hairy for the RSM.Looking at sites like Dibleys they do not show RSM as a pest on Streps, though there...
    Have never used any biological predators and take your point about their leaves being too hairy for the RSM.Looking at sites like Dibleys they do not show RSM as a pest on Streps, though there are Tarsonemid mites aka cyclamen mites which are very similar but again their eggs are clear like...
    Have never used any biological predators and take your point about their leaves being too hairy for the RSM.Looking at sites like Dibleys they do not show RSM as a pest on Streps, though there are Tarsonemid mites aka cyclamen mites which are...
    Have never used any biological predators and take your point about their leaves being too hairy for the RSM.Looking at sites like Dibleys they do not show RSM as a pest on Streps, though there...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Tracy P

Camelia - black new shoots

Thank you both. The presence of aphids confused me. I had a gap in my otherwise demanding job and I just used it to do the long due pruning, but I am learning that nature's schedule is more...
    Thank you both. The presence of aphids confused me. I had a gap in my otherwise demanding job and I just used it to do the long due pruning, but I am learning that nature's schedule is more important than my schedule. Now I must apologise to the camelia :thinking:
    Thank you both. The presence of aphids confused me. I had a gap in my otherwise demanding job and I just used it to do the long due pruning, but I am learning that nature's schedule is more important than my schedule. Now I must apologise to the...
    Thank you both. The presence of aphids confused me. I had a gap in my otherwise demanding job and I just used it to do the long due pruning, but I am learning that nature's schedule is more...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. zebrina

buxus problem

I'd agree with removing it. Issues with box plants are so widespread now it's just going to be a chore if to keep it.
    I'd agree with removing it. Issues with box plants are so widespread now it's just going to be a chore if to keep it.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice