1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Pests, Diseases and Cures

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. NigelJ

Lily beetles 2017

Their larvae will do the real damage once they get out of their eggs, Scudo.:dunno::gaah::snorky:"Lily beetleLilies (Lilium species and hybrids), Giant lilies (Cardiocrinumspecies) and fritillaries (Fritillaria...
    Their larvae will do the real damage once they get out of their eggs, Scudo.:dunno::gaah::snorky:"Lily beetleLilies (Lilium species and hybrids), Giant lilies (Cardiocrinumspecies) and fritillaries (Fritillaria species) can be extensively defoliated by the common and widespread insect known as lily beetle or...
    Their larvae will do the real damage once they get out of their eggs, Scudo.:dunno::gaah::snorky:"Lily beetleLilies (Lilium species and hybrids), Giant lilies (Cardiocrinumspecies) and fritillaries (Fritillaria species) can be extensively defoliated by the...
    Their larvae will do the real damage once they get out of their eggs, Scudo.:dunno::gaah::snorky:"Lily beetleLilies (Lilium species and hybrids), Giant lilies (Cardiocrinumspecies) and fritillaries (Fritillaria...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley

Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2015

Some friends of ours tried that in an attempt to deter their neighbour's cat. What they didn't know is that the cat was deaf! :rolleyespink:Not just younger people. I can hear them :old:. I also had to have...
    Some friends of ours tried that in an attempt to deter their neighbour's cat. What they didn't know is that the cat was deaf! :rolleyespink:Not just younger people. I can hear them :old:. I also had to have our burglar alarm retuned (combines ultrasonics and infrared) as I could hear it. They tested the...
    Some friends of ours tried that in an attempt to deter their neighbour's cat. What they didn't know is that the cat was deaf! :rolleyespink:Not just younger people. I can hear them :old:. I also had to have our burglar alarm retuned (combines ultrasonics and...
    Some friends of ours tried that in an attempt to deter their neighbour's cat. What they didn't know is that the cat was deaf! :rolleyespink:Not just younger people. I can hear them :old:. I also had to have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Kandy
    Like x 6

Lily Beetles and Larva...

Strangely they ate my cream little but two orange ones survive. I knocked one off my plant and squared it under my foot, left a great big red blob on the patio
    Strangely they ate my cream little but two orange ones survive. I knocked one off my plant and squared it under my foot, left a great big red blob on the patio
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley

An Organic Mite Control Spray for your Greenhouse..!!

hi yes im in uk but i could buy a bottle that is 100ml but only need 5ml per litre obviously i dont mind the smell of lavender but dont want to over use and make items i grow taste of lavender lol
    hi yes im in uk but i could buy a bottle that is 100ml but only need 5ml per litre obviously i dont mind the smell of lavender but dont want to over use and make items i grow taste of lavender lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

Safe ways to deter Cats from your Garden Information only..

Cayenne or black pepper can be sprinkled around garden in your borders and anywhere you don't want them to go. This is rather unpleasant but harmless and apart from some sneezing it will...
    Cayenne or black pepper can be sprinkled around garden in your borders and anywhere you don't want them to go. This is rather unpleasant but harmless and apart from some sneezing it will eventually keep them away from the area I have found. Garlic, in a spray, which contains garlic oil also...
    Cayenne or black pepper can be sprinkled around garden in your borders and anywhere you don't want them to go. This is rather unpleasant but harmless and apart from some sneezing it will eventually keep them away from the area I have found....
    Cayenne or black pepper can be sprinkled around garden in your borders and anywhere you don't want them to go. This is rather unpleasant but harmless and apart from some sneezing it will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Daisies
    Locked Sticky
    Like x 17

Anti-cat threads will be summarily closed

PLEASE TAKE NOTEDue to the incendiary nature of the topic, any further ANTI-CAT threads WILL BE SUMMARILY CLOSED AND MAY EVEN BE DELETED!Daisees has spoken!
    PLEASE TAKE NOTEDue to the incendiary nature of the topic, any further ANTI-CAT threads WILL BE SUMMARILY CLOSED AND MAY EVEN BE DELETED!Daisees has spoken!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8.   » Normal Threads
  9. Fat Controller

Fox!

:) I put out food for hedgehogs but it attracted foxes, I either have the option of shooting them or trapping them as putting a grill over the gate just made them jump/climb the 2 metre fence. ATM...
    :) I put out food for hedgehogs but it attracted foxes, I either have the option of shooting them or trapping them as putting a grill over the gate just made them jump/climb the 2 metre fence. ATM I've opted for a trap as the first line of defence, if that fails, it's "bang", goodbye fox.:sad:
    :) I put out food for hedgehogs but it attracted foxes, I either have the option of shooting them or trapping them as putting a grill over the gate just made them jump/climb the 2 metre fence. ATM I've opted for a trap as the first line of...
    :) I put out food for hedgehogs but it attracted foxes, I either have the option of shooting them or trapping them as putting a grill over the gate just made them jump/climb the 2 metre fence. ATM...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Clare G

keeping the pests out: boundary protection idea

In the past I've had ultrasonic devices and they worked pretty well but replacing batteries was expensive. I've recently invested in a pair of solar powered ones and they are working very well and...
    In the past I've had ultrasonic devices and they worked pretty well but replacing batteries was expensive. I've recently invested in a pair of solar powered ones and they are working very well and at around £20 for the pair I reckon they were worth it. In one remote corner of our garden there's...
    In the past I've had ultrasonic devices and they worked pretty well but replacing batteries was expensive. I've recently invested in a pair of solar powered ones and they are working very well and at around £20 for the pair I reckon they were...
    In the past I've had ultrasonic devices and they worked pretty well but replacing batteries was expensive. I've recently invested in a pair of solar powered ones and they are working very well and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. MattC76

What’s wrong with my laurel?!

Laurel is tough. I grow lots of it, and there is usually some leaf damage very like you have there I think you probably have leaf cutter bees at work, as well as a few adult vine weevils...
    Laurel is tough. I grow lots of it, and there is usually some leaf damage very like you have there I think you probably have leaf cutter bees at work, as well as a few adult vine weevils tucking in. My 'eaten' laurels always grow away strongly once the spring comes, and the chewed leaves...
    Laurel is tough. I grow lots of it, and there is usually some leaf damage very like you have there I think you probably have leaf cutter bees at work, as well as a few adult vine weevils tucking in. My 'eaten' laurels always grow away...
    Laurel is tough. I grow lots of it, and there is usually some leaf damage very like you have there I think you probably have leaf cutter bees at work, as well as a few adult vine weevils...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ricky101

Rat Poison in Compost Heap

@Zigs, Good job I never step in the places, they send me cold :whistle:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Jack Snakes

Peach Leaf Curl

Thanks for your reply.. Will be fine Jack. :) When you eat your first peaches it will all be worthwhile:Wino:
    Thanks for your reply.. Will be fine Jack. :) When you eat your first peaches it will all be worthwhile:Wino:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. shiney

Trouble With Fuschia

would love to grow these, but my zone is too cold for them to survive over winter. and not about to fuss with bringing them inside. I try to keep my life simple. have enough to do already.
    would love to grow these, but my zone is too cold for them to survive over winter. and not about to fuss with bringing them inside. I try to keep my life simple. have enough to do already.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Frey

leaves yellow then turn black and curl

:doh: wot am i like - I just told me, Aunt, to eat JA's cos they're good for her :snorky: .....does that mean she'll have to eat Globe Artichokes :heehee: Best get back and put her on nutritional hold till i got me...
    :doh: wot am i like - I just told me, Aunt, to eat JA's cos they're good for her :snorky: .....does that mean she'll have to eat Globe Artichokes :heehee: Best get back and put her on nutritional hold till i got me info right :help: ...thanks for the heads up @pete Gawd knows what i could have advised her :huh:
    :doh: wot am i like - I just told me, Aunt, to eat JA's cos they're good for her :snorky: .....does that mean she'll have to eat Globe Artichokes :heehee: Best get back and put her on nutritional hold till i got me info right :help: ...thanks for the heads up @pete Gawd...
    :doh: wot am i like - I just told me, Aunt, to eat JA's cos they're good for her :snorky: .....does that mean she'll have to eat Globe Artichokes :heehee: Best get back and put her on nutritional hold till i got me...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Snorky85

Vine weevil!

I think the comments below explain why I, in my opinion! would prefer to adopt the method of drowning, as other gardeners have .... to any chemicals :sad: Im fully aware of the tenacity of any pest...
    I think the comments below explain why I, in my opinion! would prefer to adopt the method of drowning, as other gardeners have .... to any chemicals :sad: Im fully aware of the tenacity of any pest ...as i said in my previous post the soil as we speak will be checked for grubs as i put any plants in...
    I think the comments below explain why I, in my opinion! would prefer to adopt the method of drowning, as other gardeners have .... to any chemicals :sad: Im fully aware of the tenacity of any pest ...as i said in my previous post the soil as we speak...
    I think the comments below explain why I, in my opinion! would prefer to adopt the method of drowning, as other gardeners have .... to any chemicals :sad: Im fully aware of the tenacity of any pest...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. HarryS

Clematis Problems x 2 , Help

Update on my Burma Star:dunno:..its looking a bit sad...a before and after picture....although there seem to be two 'after' pictures!
    Update on my Burma Star:dunno:..its looking a bit sad...a before and after picture....although there seem to be two 'after' pictures!
    DSCN1751.jpg DSCN1750.jpg DSCN1754.jpg 20170914_142752.jpg 20170709_204736.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. trevor but

a cure for powdery mildew

@trevor but ...Your most:sign0016:hope it's as successful for you, as it was for me Lupins :dbgrtmb:
    @trevor but ...Your most:sign0016:hope it's as successful for you, as it was for me Lupins :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ricky101

Rat Proof Compost Bin - ??

Our council is exactly the same @ricky101, and fly tipping increased almost instantly. I can never understand the thinking behind failing to maintain things, only to spend 10-15 times more...
    Our council is exactly the same @ricky101, and fly tipping increased almost instantly. I can never understand the thinking behind failing to maintain things, only to spend 10-15 times more sorting the resulting problems. :scratch:
    Our council is exactly the same @ricky101, and fly tipping increased almost instantly. I can never understand the thinking behind failing to maintain things, only to spend 10-15 times more sorting the resulting problems. :scratch:
    Our council is exactly the same @ricky101, and fly tipping increased almost instantly. I can never understand the thinking behind failing to maintain things, only to spend 10-15 times more...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Squirrel nuts

Rose sawfly

Hi Squirrel nuts, I do sympathise with your predicament. We live in 'insect paradise' here....most of them of the stinging/biting variety. Unfortunately, sawflies do seem more resistant than most...
    Hi Squirrel nuts, I do sympathise with your predicament. We live in 'insect paradise' here....most of them of the stinging/biting variety. Unfortunately, sawflies do seem more resistant than most to chemical and bacterial control. This is a long shot, but would old-fashioned fly papers or yellow...
    Hi Squirrel nuts, I do sympathise with your predicament. We live in 'insect paradise' here....most of them of the stinging/biting variety. Unfortunately, sawflies do seem more resistant than most to chemical and bacterial control. This is a long...
    Hi Squirrel nuts, I do sympathise with your predicament. We live in 'insect paradise' here....most of them of the stinging/biting variety. Unfortunately, sawflies do seem more resistant than most...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. ricky101

Ants again...

Sounds good Stanley :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. TomatoeTomato

Disease on my potatoes?

Thanks! That's super interesting. I've been doing a bunch of searching today and saw it mentioned a few times. I couldn't get a pic today, but this is probably the closest I could find online...
    Thanks! That's super interesting. I've been doing a bunch of searching today and saw it mentioned a few times. I couldn't get a pic today, but this is probably the closest I could find online (source):According to that site, this is Rhizoctonia. Though I'm still a little torn, as the leaves...
    Thanks! That's super interesting. I've been doing a bunch of searching today and saw it mentioned a few times. I couldn't get a pic today, but this is probably the closest I could find online (source):According to that site, this is...
    Thanks! That's super interesting. I've been doing a bunch of searching today and saw it mentioned a few times. I couldn't get a pic today, but this is probably the closest I could find online...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Sally Parker

Crocosmia Brown Tips

Oh, ok, get what you are saying now! Thanks Verdun! :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Heucherella
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Howard Stone

Box Blight

I'll try to post some photos later, but yes, I've found the caterpillar. Better caterpillar than blight I think!I'm spraying with Bug Clear Ultra.
    I'll try to post some photos later, but yes, I've found the caterpillar. Better caterpillar than blight I think!I'm spraying with Bug Clear Ultra.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. ahsanj

Residential lawn issue

Then I think it is a combination of worm casts and leatherjackets ahsanj :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. awomaninsane

Poorly apples

Thanks @Irmemac that looks exactly like what it is. Its a shame that there is nothing I can do to fix it though. :sad:
    Thanks @Irmemac that looks exactly like what it is. Its a shame that there is nothing I can do to fix it though. :sad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Fat Controller

What are these?

I've taken another look at the bag today - there is a few of them in there, but not that many, and Mrs C is walloping it out to the birds to get shot of it. Its in the shed, so if they can find...
    I've taken another look at the bag today - there is a few of them in there, but not that many, and Mrs C is walloping it out to the birds to get shot of it. Its in the shed, so if they can find space in there to live, good on 'em I say, coz it is rammed full! :biggrin:
    I've taken another look at the bag today - there is a few of them in there, but not that many, and Mrs C is walloping it out to the birds to get shot of it. Its in the shed, so if they can find space in there to live, good on 'em I say, coz it...
    I've taken another look at the bag today - there is a few of them in there, but not that many, and Mrs C is walloping it out to the birds to get shot of it. Its in the shed, so if they can find...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options