Pests, Diseases and Cures

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Like x 3

Did you know.... WASPS HATE PEPPERMINT..!!

Of my god, that's the first time I hear about this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

Safe ways to deter Cats from your Garden Information only..

Cayenne or black pepper can be sprinkled around garden in your borders and anywhere you don't want them to go. This is rather unpleasant but harmless and apart from some sneezing it will...
    Cayenne or black pepper can be sprinkled around garden in your borders and anywhere you don't want them to go. This is rather unpleasant but harmless and apart from some sneezing it will eventually keep them away from the area I have found. Garlic, in a spray, which contains garlic oil also...
    Cayenne or black pepper can be sprinkled around garden in your borders and anywhere you don't want them to go. This is rather unpleasant but harmless and apart from some sneezing it will eventually keep them away from the area I have found....
    Cayenne or black pepper can be sprinkled around garden in your borders and anywhere you don't want them to go. This is rather unpleasant but harmless and apart from some sneezing it will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley

Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.!

I would possibly have trouble with them as we had to have our burglar alarm readjusted from the standard setting when it was fitted. The engineers said they had to put it on 'dog' setting for me :heehee:...
    I would possibly have trouble with them as we had to have our burglar alarm readjusted from the standard setting when it was fitted. The engineers said they had to put it on 'dog' setting for me :heehee: so that dogs can no longer hear it. :noidea:
    I would possibly have trouble with them as we had to have our burglar alarm readjusted from the standard setting when it was fitted. The engineers said they had to put it on 'dog' setting for me :heehee: so that dogs can no longer hear it. :noidea:
    I would possibly have trouble with them as we had to have our burglar alarm readjusted from the standard setting when it was fitted. The engineers said they had to put it on 'dog' setting for me :heehee:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Kandy
    Like x 6

Lily Beetles and Larva...

Strangely they ate my cream little but two orange ones survive. I knocked one off my plant and squared it under my foot, left a great big red blob on the patio
    Strangely they ate my cream little but two orange ones survive. I knocked one off my plant and squared it under my foot, left a great big red blob on the patio
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Marley Farley

An Organic Mite Control Spray for your Greenhouse..!!

Hiya Daisybelle :) As often as possible but for me 2 or 3 times is enough......an evening spray would keep foliage damp all night. I had peaches in a conservatory a few years back and red spider was...
    Hiya Daisybelle :) As often as possible but for me 2 or 3 times is enough......an evening spray would keep foliage damp all night. I had peaches in a conservatory a few years back and red spider was rife. I lightly sprayed with water regularly .....no sprays other than water for me on edible...
    Hiya Daisybelle :) As often as possible but for me 2 or 3 times is enough......an evening spray would keep foliage damp all night. I had peaches in a conservatory a few years back and red spider was rife. I lightly sprayed with water regularly...
    Hiya Daisybelle :) As often as possible but for me 2 or 3 times is enough......an evening spray would keep foliage damp all night. I had peaches in a conservatory a few years back and red spider was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7.   » Normal Threads
  8. Els

Hello, i have an amazing 10 year old Red Robin hedge, but three plants seem to be diseased?

In that case, maybe something called Photinia leaf spot. If the plants have been under stress due to the extremes of weather (hot dry summers and wet winters), this makes them more susceptible....
    In that case, maybe something called Photinia leaf spot. If the plants have been under stress due to the extremes of weather (hot dry summers and wet winters), this makes them more susceptible. If your plants have been healthy up until now, the weather over the last 2 or 3 years might well have...
    In that case, maybe something called Photinia leaf spot. If the plants have been under stress due to the extremes of weather (hot dry summers and wet winters), this makes them more susceptible. If your plants have been healthy up until now, the...
    In that case, maybe something called Photinia leaf spot. If the plants have been under stress due to the extremes of weather (hot dry summers and wet winters), this makes them more susceptible....
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Paul-South-West

Problem Skimmia - What to do

Many thanks for that. Truth be told I think it is in a poor location in an inherited garden so I think you have hit the nail on the head. I will keep up with other posters' advice on mulch,...
    Many thanks for that. Truth be told I think it is in a poor location in an inherited garden so I think you have hit the nail on the head. I will keep up with other posters' advice on mulch, watering and feed etc. to give it TLC and give it the chance to be the best it can be in the location it...
    Many thanks for that. Truth be told I think it is in a poor location in an inherited garden so I think you have hit the nail on the head. I will keep up with other posters' advice on mulch, watering and feed etc. to give it TLC and give it the...
    Many thanks for that. Truth be told I think it is in a poor location in an inherited garden so I think you have hit the nail on the head. I will keep up with other posters' advice on mulch,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Andrew Wilson

Hornbeam Problem

What are the conditions like? I know hornbeam can be happy with damper soil than beech, but even they can have too much of a good thing. Or maybe the soil has dried out in the past .., and the...
    What are the conditions like? I know hornbeam can be happy with damper soil than beech, but even they can have too much of a good thing. Or maybe the soil has dried out in the past .., and the hornbeam was really struggling?
    What are the conditions like? I know hornbeam can be happy with damper soil than beech, but even they can have too much of a good thing. Or maybe the soil has dried out in the past .., and the hornbeam was really struggling?
    What are the conditions like? I know hornbeam can be happy with damper soil than beech, but even they can have too much of a good thing. Or maybe the soil has dried out in the past .., and the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Jacquiscrap

Lilly beatle and vine weevil, at it already!

Too early here, but the lily beetle is certainly becoming more common. Not cold enough over winter to see them off, I presume.
    Too early here, but the lily beetle is certainly becoming more common. Not cold enough over winter to see them off, I presume.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Alf

Tree Peony Problems

@Alf Many horticultural retailers offer a replacement service if any purchase fails to grow or dies. Have you checked with the garden centre where you purchased these peonies?
    @Alf Many horticultural retailers offer a replacement service if any purchase fails to grow or dies. Have you checked with the garden centre where you purchased these peonies?
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Baalmaiden

Annuals that slugs and snails dislike

It's not huge then @Baalmaiden , but there's plenty of plants which will be fine, although I think if you're going to try your grass that you saved, there won't be a huge amount of room for a lot...
    It's not huge then @Baalmaiden , but there's plenty of plants which will be fine, although I think if you're going to try your grass that you saved, there won't be a huge amount of room for a lot more planting. I'm not sure how quickly that would grow for this year - most will take a while to...
    It's not huge then @Baalmaiden , but there's plenty of plants which will be fine, although I think if you're going to try your grass that you saved, there won't be a huge amount of room for a lot more planting. I'm not sure how quickly that would...
    It's not huge then @Baalmaiden , but there's plenty of plants which will be fine, although I think if you're going to try your grass that you saved, there won't be a huge amount of room for a lot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. siliconglen

Rhododendron looking very poorly - what do to?

Take the flower bud off, cut back all dead wood to living wood, clear all competing plants or weeds from the area.Leave it for now and watch it closely for new growth, if it wants to survive it...
    Take the flower bud off, cut back all dead wood to living wood, clear all competing plants or weeds from the area.Leave it for now and watch it closely for new growth, if it wants to survive it will, will it look good, probably not for a few years.
    Take the flower bud off, cut back all dead wood to living wood, clear all competing plants or weeds from the area.Leave it for now and watch it closely for new growth, if it wants to survive it will, will it look good, probably not for a few...
    Take the flower bud off, cut back all dead wood to living wood, clear all competing plants or weeds from the area.Leave it for now and watch it closely for new growth, if it wants to survive it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Quovadisuk

Fruit tree issue with I think is a disease?

Juvenile beech trees also retain their leaves over winter.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Charentejohn

Mystery bugs in the soil-believed to be beetles eventually ?

I tried the grit method on all my pots, not sure if it worked, but I didn't lose any plants.
    I tried the grit method on all my pots, not sure if it worked, but I didn't lose any plants.
    upload_2024-2-21_12-33-49.png IMG_20220507_151704361_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20220507_151726789_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20220507_151743053_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20220507_151716244_HDR~3.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ricky101

Red Spider Mite - Eggs ?

Have never used any biological predators and take your point about their leaves being too hairy for the RSM.Looking at sites like Dibleys they do not show RSM as a pest on Streps, though there...
    Have never used any biological predators and take your point about their leaves being too hairy for the RSM.Looking at sites like Dibleys they do not show RSM as a pest on Streps, though there are Tarsonemid mites aka cyclamen mites which are very similar but again their eggs are clear like...
    Have never used any biological predators and take your point about their leaves being too hairy for the RSM.Looking at sites like Dibleys they do not show RSM as a pest on Streps, though there are Tarsonemid mites aka cyclamen mites which are...
    Have never used any biological predators and take your point about their leaves being too hairy for the RSM.Looking at sites like Dibleys they do not show RSM as a pest on Streps, though there...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. mick

Pests

I haven't had issues with voles but deer will create that sort of damage.What is the shrub please Mick?
    I haven't had issues with voles but deer will create that sort of damage.What is the shrub please Mick?
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Tracy P

Camelia - black new shoots

Thank you both. The presence of aphids confused me. I had a gap in my otherwise demanding job and I just used it to do the long due pruning, but I am learning that nature's schedule is more...
    Thank you both. The presence of aphids confused me. I had a gap in my otherwise demanding job and I just used it to do the long due pruning, but I am learning that nature's schedule is more important than my schedule. Now I must apologise to the camelia :thinking:
    Thank you both. The presence of aphids confused me. I had a gap in my otherwise demanding job and I just used it to do the long due pruning, but I am learning that nature's schedule is more important than my schedule. Now I must apologise to the...
    Thank you both. The presence of aphids confused me. I had a gap in my otherwise demanding job and I just used it to do the long due pruning, but I am learning that nature's schedule is more...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. zebrina

buxus problem

I'd agree with removing it. Issues with box plants are so widespread now it's just going to be a chore if to keep it.
    I'd agree with removing it. Issues with box plants are so widespread now it's just going to be a chore if to keep it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. NigelJ
    Informative x 9

Leptospirosis, a warning.

I agree that squirrels can be dangerous. :hate-shocked:In the Lake District they have lots of sign on the roads telling the squirrels to go slower.
    I agree that squirrels can be dangerous. :hate-shocked:In the Lake District they have lots of sign on the roads telling the squirrels to go slower.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. wiseowl

I D Caterpillar

Water soluble caterpillars? Great idea, I wish my slug population would take a leaf out of that book :biggrin: The thing sort of looks like a moth larvae. It's not hairy at all and is out and about quite...
    Water soluble caterpillars? Great idea, I wish my slug population would take a leaf out of that book :biggrin: The thing sort of looks like a moth larvae. It's not hairy at all and is out and about quite late in the season. :scratch:
    Water soluble caterpillars? Great idea, I wish my slug population would take a leaf out of that book :biggrin: The thing sort of looks like a moth larvae. It's not hairy at all and is out and about quite late in the season. :scratch:
    Water soluble caterpillars? Great idea, I wish my slug population would take a leaf out of that book :biggrin: The thing sort of looks like a moth larvae. It's not hairy at all and is out and about quite...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. waylannder2002
    Informative x 5

Found a Solution to the Rat Problem

Unfortunately we have lots of rats in the UK. Probably the result of our bad habits of throwing fast food away in places they can access. A lot of farms have 'farm cats' which are semi wild but...
    Unfortunately we have lots of rats in the UK. Probably the result of our bad habits of throwing fast food away in places they can access. A lot of farms have 'farm cats' which are semi wild but encouraged by the farmers to hang around so they keep down vermin. The mothers teach the kittens how...
    Unfortunately we have lots of rats in the UK. Probably the result of our bad habits of throwing fast food away in places they can access. A lot of farms have 'farm cats' which are semi wild but encouraged by the farmers to hang around so they...
    Unfortunately we have lots of rats in the UK. Probably the result of our bad habits of throwing fast food away in places they can access. A lot of farms have 'farm cats' which are semi wild but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Balc

Itsy Bitsy caterpillars 2023

Sorry in taking so long to reply to you I've hardly been on here this week & then only on the weather thread, mostly, from my phoneThanks for the reply. I've grown Carnations on the balcony many...
    Sorry in taking so long to reply to you I've hardly been on here this week & then only on the weather thread, mostly, from my phoneThanks for the reply. I've grown Carnations on the balcony many times before as they are a favourite flower of my wife's but I've never seen the moth on the...
    Sorry in taking so long to reply to you I've hardly been on here this week & then only on the weather thread, mostly, from my phoneThanks for the reply. I've grown Carnations on the balcony many times before as they are a favourite flower of my...
    Sorry in taking so long to reply to you I've hardly been on here this week & then only on the weather thread, mostly, from my phoneThanks for the reply. I've grown Carnations on the balcony many...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Fof

Holly Leaf curl

Hi guys At the end of 2021, I planted a shortish mixed hedge. In it I included Ilex aquifolium and Ilex aquifolium 'Argentea Marginata'. Throughout last year, presumably because of the drought,...
    Hi guys At the end of 2021, I planted a shortish mixed hedge. In it I included Ilex aquifolium and Ilex aquifolium 'Argentea Marginata'. Throughout last year, presumably because of the drought, all of the sulked and refused to do very much. This year I am seeing good new growth on all, with...
    Hi guys At the end of 2021, I planted a shortish mixed hedge. In it I included Ilex aquifolium and Ilex aquifolium 'Argentea Marginata'. Throughout last year, presumably because of the drought, all of the sulked and refused to do very...
    Hi guys At the end of 2021, I planted a shortish mixed hedge. In it I included Ilex aquifolium and Ilex aquifolium 'Argentea Marginata'. Throughout last year, presumably because of the drought,...
    P1090227.jpg P1090232.jpg P1090247.jpg P1090217.jpg P1090252.jpg P1090242.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Dugie

Dahlia issue

I will give this a shot.
    I will give this a shot.
    I will give this a shot.
    I will give this a shot.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. hi2u_uk

Salt water as a weedkiller

We use 5L of white vinegar to a cup of salt, been doing this for 5 years on paving, treating it twice a year
    We use 5L of white vinegar to a cup of salt, been doing this for 5 years on paving, treating it twice a year
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice