What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Aidan mc

UK seed suppliers (delivering to NI)

I cant read all that can you just sum up what it says.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

Seed sowing 2024

Don't do that, seedlings need to gather all the sun's energy they can so taking off any leaves is a bad idea. Even when the cotyledons start to yellow leave them on as the plant recovers nutrients...
    Don't do that, seedlings need to gather all the sun's energy they can so taking off any leaves is a bad idea. Even when the cotyledons start to yellow leave them on as the plant recovers nutrients back from them.
    Don't do that, seedlings need to gather all the sun's energy they can so taking off any leaves is a bad idea. Even when the cotyledons start to yellow leave them on as the plant recovers nutrients back from them.
    Don't do that, seedlings need to gather all the sun's energy they can so taking off any leaves is a bad idea. Even when the cotyledons start to yellow leave them on as the plant recovers nutrients...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. noisette47

Reliable Seed Suppliers

I've now got a cart at Plantworld Seeds (UK) . They do ship to Canada so that looks like my best bet so far. :scratch:
    I've now got a cart at Plantworld Seeds (UK) . They do ship to Canada so that looks like my best bet so far. :scratch:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5.   » Normal Threads
  6. Sheps

Red Valerian cuttings

It's a rampant self-sower here. Often the white form but I usually get some red and some that's more of a deep pink. I frequently pull some out when it appears in amongst other things.
    It's a rampant self-sower here. Often the white form but I usually get some red and some that's more of a deep pink. I frequently pull some out when it appears in amongst other things.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. earlydaze
    Informative x 9

Cuttings that root in water

Whilst we're on the subject of jam jars, cling film over the top, sharpened pencil to make a few holes, cuttings go through the holes into the water. Less evaporation and less chance for leaves...
    Whilst we're on the subject of jam jars, cling film over the top, sharpened pencil to make a few holes, cuttings go through the holes into the water. Less evaporation and less chance for leaves and debris to contaminate the water. I'm quite sure everyone does this, don't they?:)
    Whilst we're on the subject of jam jars, cling film over the top, sharpened pencil to make a few holes, cuttings go through the holes into the water. Less evaporation and less chance for leaves and debris to contaminate the water. I'm quite sure...
    Whilst we're on the subject of jam jars, cling film over the top, sharpened pencil to make a few holes, cuttings go through the holes into the water. Less evaporation and less chance for leaves...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Fof

Propagating Glandora prostrata

I didn't use bottom heat...in fact, I don't with a lot of my softwood propagation now.
    I didn't use bottom heat...in fact, I don't with a lot of my softwood propagation now.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. groundbeetle

When to put Aubretia seedlings outside?

The pots of Aubretia seedlings I had kept on the kitchen windowsill I planted in bigger pots outside, and some survived a bit but others just seem to have got obliterated by the heavy rain. The...
    The pots of Aubretia seedlings I had kept on the kitchen windowsill I planted in bigger pots outside, and some survived a bit but others just seem to have got obliterated by the heavy rain. The ones that I put outside but kept them in their small pots have done well, though they grew slowly and...
    The pots of Aubretia seedlings I had kept on the kitchen windowsill I planted in bigger pots outside, and some survived a bit but others just seem to have got obliterated by the heavy rain. The ones that I put outside but kept them in their...
    The pots of Aubretia seedlings I had kept on the kitchen windowsill I planted in bigger pots outside, and some survived a bit but others just seem to have got obliterated by the heavy rain. The...
    D2832AB0-B14A-43A9-A6F1-5680A77FF57D_1_201_a.jpeg 2A3D8F3D-A82A-4525-B7AD-0C4A0001CDCA_1_201_a.jpeg C0065C4F-19E6-4FEC-B1BE-946643131B99_1_201_a.jpeg C77FCFB2-6AC4-4CB7-BEDE-B6C20D72F40E_1_201_a.jpeg F562E953-823A-4EDB-95F8-8EA28DAF4B47.jpeg EDD5CD3B-6EFF-4566-BD7C-649765C49BCD_1_201_a.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. CanadianLori

How translate sowing instructions from zone 7 or so, down to zone 5

Thank you, that is what I will do!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Upsydaisy

Should I wait a bit longer....

Ok thanks pete...I'll tackle it tomorrow.:):blue thumb:I'll leave you in peace to continue in your recovery now.:biggrin:
    Ok thanks pete...I'll tackle it tomorrow.:):blue thumb:I'll leave you in peace to continue in your recovery now.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Michael Hewett

Cuttings

And I thought you meant the 1792 renovation. :old:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. wiseowl

Seed Sowing 2023

Link to new threadSeed sowing 2024
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. vbgr

Broad beans have now germinated

We are near the south coast Devon, but we have had quite a lot of frost last week with zero temperatures. No snow though. The wind chill has been pretty cold these last few days. At the moment...
    We are near the south coast Devon, but we have had quite a lot of frost last week with zero temperatures. No snow though. The wind chill has been pretty cold these last few days. At the moment it’s 6 degrees. Tonight we expect 2 o.V
    We are near the south coast Devon, but we have had quite a lot of frost last week with zero temperatures. No snow though. The wind chill has been pretty cold these last few days. At the moment it’s 6 degrees. Tonight we expect 2 o.V
    We are near the south coast Devon, but we have had quite a lot of frost last week with zero temperatures. No snow though. The wind chill has been pretty cold these last few days. At the moment...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. CanadianLori

No seeds in Dwarf Dahlias?

Its amazing how big those tubers can get first year from seed. I grew those big 4ft /5ft high ones a long time ago from seed and the tubers were massive.
    Its amazing how big those tubers can get first year from seed. I grew those big 4ft /5ft high ones a long time ago from seed and the tubers were massive.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Jackhughes35

Propagating hawthorn

I have just taken Hawthorn cuttings this morning. I cut off some of the fresh growth, cut them below a node, wiped off thorns and lowest leaves, dipped them in Hormone Rooting Compound and stuck...
    I have just taken Hawthorn cuttings this morning. I cut off some of the fresh growth, cut them below a node, wiped off thorns and lowest leaves, dipped them in Hormone Rooting Compound and stuck them in a pot of 50% seed compost and 50% vermiculite. Watered them, sprayed the leaves and stood...
    I have just taken Hawthorn cuttings this morning. I cut off some of the fresh growth, cut them below a node, wiped off thorns and lowest leaves, dipped them in Hormone Rooting Compound and stuck them in a pot of 50% seed compost and 50%...
    I have just taken Hawthorn cuttings this morning. I cut off some of the fresh growth, cut them below a node, wiped off thorns and lowest leaves, dipped them in Hormone Rooting Compound and stuck...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Balc
    Like x 5

Seed sowing 2022

I sow Sweet Peas in toilet roll tubes half filled with potting compost and topped off with seed compost. A sowing a few weeks back left a few tubes with "no shows" so the next sowing I just popped...
    I sow Sweet Peas in toilet roll tubes half filled with potting compost and topped off with seed compost. A sowing a few weeks back left a few tubes with "no shows" so the next sowing I just popped further seeds in these tubes and other fresh tubes. And yes, "no shows" again in these tubes though...
    I sow Sweet Peas in toilet roll tubes half filled with potting compost and topped off with seed compost. A sowing a few weeks back left a few tubes with "no shows" so the next sowing I just popped further seeds in these tubes and other fresh...
    I sow Sweet Peas in toilet roll tubes half filled with potting compost and topped off with seed compost. A sowing a few weeks back left a few tubes with "no shows" so the next sowing I just popped...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. PeterJ

Looking after seedlings once germinated

@PeterJ it depends on what you are growing too. I tend to grow a lot of annuals so I am used to the pot shifting dance. By the time I am able to plant out them out, I usually have about 150 to 180...
    @PeterJ it depends on what you are growing too. I tend to grow a lot of annuals so I am used to the pot shifting dance. By the time I am able to plant out them out, I usually have about 150 to 180 little pots of annuals. Lots of running up and down the stairs.And I still buy more in the...
    @PeterJ it depends on what you are growing too. I tend to grow a lot of annuals so I am used to the pot shifting dance. By the time I am able to plant out them out, I usually have about 150 to 180 little pots of annuals. Lots of running up and...
    @PeterJ it depends on what you are growing too. I tend to grow a lot of annuals so I am used to the pot shifting dance. By the time I am able to plant out them out, I usually have about 150 to 180...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. martious

Black Currant Propagation

I asked a similar question about half a year ago.Turns out black currant plants are nigh indestructible. Mine took about a month to develop a full root system. It now grows outside in the soil...
    I asked a similar question about half a year ago.Turns out black currant plants are nigh indestructible. Mine took about a month to develop a full root system. It now grows outside in the soil without any protection and seems to do great.Hopefully next year there will be the first berries...
    I asked a similar question about half a year ago.Turns out black currant plants are nigh indestructible. Mine took about a month to develop a full root system. It now grows outside in the soil without any protection and seems to do...
    I asked a similar question about half a year ago.Turns out black currant plants are nigh indestructible. Mine took about a month to develop a full root system. It now grows outside in the soil...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Blue arbour

French lavender and rosemary cuttings

It looks silly that I say they prefer it dry then agree with in water. :rolleyespink: I do Oleander and Hibiscus in either water to root or directly in compost. A lot of these shrub cuttings root either way...
    It looks silly that I say they prefer it dry then agree with in water. :rolleyespink: I do Oleander and Hibiscus in either water to root or directly in compost. A lot of these shrub cuttings root either way but in water is quicker to root then plant into compost.
    It looks silly that I say they prefer it dry then agree with in water. :rolleyespink: I do Oleander and Hibiscus in either water to root or directly in compost. A lot of these shrub cuttings root either way but in water is quicker to root then plant into...
    It looks silly that I say they prefer it dry then agree with in water. :rolleyespink: I do Oleander and Hibiscus in either water to root or directly in compost. A lot of these shrub cuttings root either way...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. JWK

Clematis armandii propagation

Thanks @Spruce
    Thanks @Spruce
    Thanks @Spruce
    Thanks @Spruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Sian in Belgium

When to lift and divide snowdrops

Well, the sunshine beckoned outside, and the large clumps of snowdrops have been lifted and replanted within about 30 mins of coming out of the ground, so they should not have dried out. About to...
    Well, the sunshine beckoned outside, and the large clumps of snowdrops have been lifted and replanted within about 30 mins of coming out of the ground, so they should not have dried out. About to go around and water them in, as we have no rain forecast for the next 5 days...
    Well, the sunshine beckoned outside, and the large clumps of snowdrops have been lifted and replanted within about 30 mins of coming out of the ground, so they should not have dried out. About to go around and water them in, as we have no rain...
    Well, the sunshine beckoned outside, and the large clumps of snowdrops have been lifted and replanted within about 30 mins of coming out of the ground, so they should not have dried out. About to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Scrungee

Sarcococca from cuttings and/or seeds

@Jenny namaste I would say Sarcococca confusa; this is what mine looks likes this year.
    @Jenny namaste I would say Sarcococca confusa; this is what mine looks likes this year.
    IMG_20210224_104918677_HDR.jpg IMG_20210224_104910325_HDR.jpg 20230128_144230.jpg Sarcococca confusa.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. ricky101

Pelargonium Cuttings

Possibly two popular plants are Pelargoniums and Fuchsias. They will tolerate some harsh treatmens at times, and perhaps for the average gardener, they are easy to propagate. Although cuttings...
    Possibly two popular plants are Pelargoniums and Fuchsias. They will tolerate some harsh treatmens at times, and perhaps for the average gardener, they are easy to propagate. Although cuttings can be taken at almost any time year, there are snags. The prosective plant material may be too new,...
    Possibly two popular plants are Pelargoniums and Fuchsias. They will tolerate some harsh treatmens at times, and perhaps for the average gardener, they are easy to propagate. Although cuttings can be taken at almost any time year, there are...
    Possibly two popular plants are Pelargoniums and Fuchsias. They will tolerate some harsh treatmens at times, and perhaps for the average gardener, they are easy to propagate. Although cuttings...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. mazambo

Blue Poppy

As your plants were sown last year and are not this year’s sowings, with this being the case then it should be fine to let the plants flower and yes you are definitely going to have flowers. Your...
    As your plants were sown last year and are not this year’s sowings, with this being the case then it should be fine to let the plants flower and yes you are definitely going to have flowers. Your plant looks reasonably big enough to survive flowering.@Perki is correct though, if the plants are...
    As your plants were sown last year and are not this year’s sowings, with this being the case then it should be fine to let the plants flower and yes you are definitely going to have flowers. Your plant looks reasonably big enough to survive...
    As your plants were sown last year and are not this year’s sowings, with this being the case then it should be fine to let the plants flower and yes you are definitely going to have flowers. Your...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice