Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. begoodian

Potting on seedlings

Seedlings tend not to worry too much about the exact potting compost, or even the exact watering. But I think the cold gets to everything.
    Seedlings tend not to worry too much about the exact potting compost, or even the exact watering. But I think the cold gets to everything.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. sal73

Orange bauhinia

I've grown B.variegata from seed and they germinate easily. The problem that I've had is getting them beyond the seedling stage. I have just one left and that seems to have stalled. That said, I...
    I've grown B.variegata from seed and they germinate easily. The problem that I've had is getting them beyond the seedling stage. I have just one left and that seems to have stalled. That said, I moved house when they were very young last spring so it may romp away this summer.
    I've grown B.variegata from seed and they germinate easily. The problem that I've had is getting them beyond the seedling stage. I have just one left and that seems to have stalled. That said, I moved house when they were very young last spring...
    I've grown B.variegata from seed and they germinate easily. The problem that I've had is getting them beyond the seedling stage. I have just one left and that seems to have stalled. That said, I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Kristen

Growing Hippeastrum from seed

I have grown them from seed but it was a long time ago. I dont think you need to wait before planting, think I planted edge way on, in the pots. It is a long process until flowering. Might be...
    I have grown them from seed but it was a long time ago. I dont think you need to wait before planting, think I planted edge way on, in the pots. It is a long process until flowering. Might be a good idea to buy up loads of those bulbs you often see after christmas in garden centres being...
    I have grown them from seed but it was a long time ago. I dont think you need to wait before planting, think I planted edge way on, in the pots. It is a long process until flowering. Might be a good idea to buy up loads of those bulbs you...
    I have grown them from seed but it was a long time ago. I dont think you need to wait before planting, think I planted edge way on, in the pots. It is a long process until flowering. Might be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Lorea

Astrantia from seed

I use MP compost from Leroy Merlin, mixed with a bit of sharp sand. They have different prices, so not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. I did have some last year which was well...
    I use MP compost from Leroy Merlin, mixed with a bit of sharp sand. They have different prices, so not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. I did have some last year which was well dodgy - after watering, the stuff which came out of the bottom of the pots looked like tea! All the...
    I use MP compost from Leroy Merlin, mixed with a bit of sharp sand. They have different prices, so not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. I did have some last year which was well dodgy - after watering, the stuff which came out of...
    I use MP compost from Leroy Merlin, mixed with a bit of sharp sand. They have different prices, so not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. I did have some last year which was well...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. David G

Time to sow seeds

Hi goosegog I have put some parsnip seeds in the ground but germinated them indoors so I hope that helps, at least the cold easterly wind has gone. I will sow courgette squash tomato and cucumber...
    Hi goosegog I have put some parsnip seeds in the ground but germinated them indoors so I hope that helps, at least the cold easterly wind has gone. I will sow courgette squash tomato and cucumber after the weekend Good luck Dave
    Hi goosegog I have put some parsnip seeds in the ground but germinated them indoors so I hope that helps, at least the cold easterly wind has gone. I will sow courgette squash tomato and cucumber after the weekend Good luck Dave
    Hi goosegog I have put some parsnip seeds in the ground but germinated them indoors so I hope that helps, at least the cold easterly wind has gone. I will sow courgette squash tomato and cucumber...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Victoria Plum

Dividing perennials now (hello again everyone!!!)

Thank you!It's a nice afternoon so I'll get onto it!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. intel

Quick Question About Strawberry Runners

Don't let them dry out in there..!! ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. pheobe

Rosa Rugosa hedge

Hi Eric thick gloves is a must and long handled lopers before you even start If me I would take out all the dead wood and 50% of the OLD growth and leave all the new growth from last year if...
    Hi Eric thick gloves is a must and long handled lopers before you even start If me I would take out all the dead wood and 50% of the OLD growth and leave all the new growth from last year if you can this type of rose grows denser by suckering so its doing what it should if growing where you...
    Hi Eric thick gloves is a must and long handled lopers before you even start If me I would take out all the dead wood and 50% of the OLD growth and leave all the new growth from last year if you can this type of rose grows denser by...
    Hi Eric thick gloves is a must and long handled lopers before you even start If me I would take out all the dead wood and 50% of the OLD growth and leave all the new growth from last year if...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. chipper

Plants for a border

Many thanks Silver Surfer and everyone else, I'm planning it out and sourcing the plants :) I'll post a piccy when it's done.
    Many thanks Silver Surfer and everyone else, I'm planning it out and sourcing the plants :) I'll post a piccy when it's done.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. whis4ey
    Like x 3

Winter problems

I think your memory isn't too bad ... the major part of that fencing was done a few years ago. Four panels were not too bad and were covered in ivy, so were left alone at that time. Their time...
    I think your memory isn't too bad ... the major part of that fencing was done a few years ago. Four panels were not too bad and were covered in ivy, so were left alone at that time. Their time has now come :)
    I think your memory isn't too bad ... the major part of that fencing was done a few years ago. Four panels were not too bad and were covered in ivy, so were left alone at that time. Their time has now come :)
    I think your memory isn't too bad ... the major part of that fencing was done a few years ago. Four panels were not too bad and were covered in ivy, so were left alone at that time. Their time...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Fat Controller

When will be safe to plant out?

Right, I need to get round to sorting this passiflora today - its not looking happy at all in the kitchen now, with a load of leaves having dropped off leaving only bare stem; what is best for...
    Right, I need to get round to sorting this passiflora today - its not looking happy at all in the kitchen now, with a load of leaves having dropped off leaving only bare stem; what is best for this - sink it as deep as possible in the bigger pot and hope that it spurs on some growth, or cut it...
    Right, I need to get round to sorting this passiflora today - its not looking happy at all in the kitchen now, with a load of leaves having dropped off leaving only bare stem; what is best for this - sink it as deep as possible in the bigger pot...
    Right, I need to get round to sorting this passiflora today - its not looking happy at all in the kitchen now, with a load of leaves having dropped off leaving only bare stem; what is best for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Robajobs

Delphiniums from seed

Yes, I think they will germinate better if left "cool". I sow mine in the Winter, leave them in the unheated conservatory so they get plenty of cool / cold, and then as Winter draws to a close...
    Yes, I think they will germinate better if left "cool". I sow mine in the Winter, leave them in the unheated conservatory so they get plenty of cool / cold, and then as Winter draws to a close they germinate. I have had a couple of packets that have not germinated at all, but as all had...
    Yes, I think they will germinate better if left "cool". I sow mine in the Winter, leave them in the unheated conservatory so they get plenty of cool / cold, and then as Winter draws to a close they germinate. I have had a couple of packets that...
    Yes, I think they will germinate better if left "cool". I sow mine in the Winter, leave them in the unheated conservatory so they get plenty of cool / cold, and then as Winter draws to a close...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Spruce

Chinese Lantern seeds but...

Aha! This thread reminds me .... I need to send a certain someone a PM!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Fat Controller

Lavatera cuttings

Sounds about right to me, they should be 4 to 6" long. Lavatera are good confidence builders, they root quite easily. You could try salvia and sambucus too.
    Sounds about right to me, they should be 4 to 6" long. Lavatera are good confidence builders, they root quite easily. You could try salvia and sambucus too.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Kristen
    Like x 6

Lily Scaling

Tipped out the bags of lily scales in order to pot them up yesterday. Should have done it a while back as the roots were a bit matted ... I bought 5 lilies of each variety, and from each I...
    Tipped out the bags of lily scales in order to pot them up yesterday. Should have done it a while back as the roots were a bit matted ... I bought 5 lilies of each variety, and from each I took a couple of scales (could perhaps have taken more ...). I've potted up between 7 and 15 pots for...
    Tipped out the bags of lily scales in order to pot them up yesterday. Should have done it a while back as the roots were a bit matted ... I bought 5 lilies of each variety, and from each I took a couple of scales (could perhaps have taken...
    Tipped out the bags of lily scales in order to pot them up yesterday. Should have done it a while back as the roots were a bit matted ... I bought 5 lilies of each variety, and from each I...
    IMG_5856_LilyScaling.jpg IMG_5844_LilySeedlings.jpg IMG_5848_Holly.jpg DSC_0445.jpg IMG_6307_LilyScaling.jpg IMG_6306_LilyScaling.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Val..

Poppy seeds

Hold on, Val...........why not grow them as Sheal is. Sowing them as plugs could cure that impatience of yours!!:heehee:
    Hold on, Val...........why not grow them as Sheal is. Sowing them as plugs could cure that impatience of yours!!:heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Scotkat

A big ask donation of Evergreen Clematis cuttings

Please wanted for the walled garden restoration project of Glamis Castle. Is there anyone who would like to donate. Pm if you would .
    Please wanted for the walled garden restoration project of Glamis Castle. Is there anyone who would like to donate. Pm if you would .
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. sebwilkins

Growing osteospermum from cuttings or seeds?

I've been trying to grow the hardy species ecklonis and jucundum from seed for a couple of years and wouldn't recommend it! If you've got access to established plants then cuttings are a doddle...
    I've been trying to grow the hardy species ecklonis and jucundum from seed for a couple of years and wouldn't recommend it! If you've got access to established plants then cuttings are a doddle...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. OxfordNick

Strawberry runners

Make a sausage of compost around them with some cling film (for an "air layer") ?
    Make a sausage of compost around them with some cling film (for an "air layer") ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. sue71

Dead Cuttings!

Sue, Pamsdish, for this type of plant you layer stems. Pin down any stem close to the ground. The stem will root from any leaf axil in touch with the ground.
    Sue, Pamsdish, for this type of plant you layer stems. Pin down any stem close to the ground. The stem will root from any leaf axil in touch with the ground.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice