1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Roses

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. wiseowl

Members Roses 2024

I've got a couple of tiny buds on my Palais Biron. Completely covered in aphids. I did wipe them off, but they're very determined. Hopefully they won't affect the blooms too badly, it was my...
    I've got a couple of tiny buds on my Palais Biron. Completely covered in aphids. I did wipe them off, but they're very determined. Hopefully they won't affect the blooms too badly, it was my favorite last year.
    I've got a couple of tiny buds on my Palais Biron. Completely covered in aphids. I did wipe them off, but they're very determined. Hopefully they won't affect the blooms too badly, it was my favorite last year.
    I've got a couple of tiny buds on my Palais Biron. Completely covered in aphids. I did wipe them off, but they're very determined. Hopefully they won't affect the blooms too badly, it was my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. wiseowl
    Like x 11

Rose Of The Year 2024

Oh thank you, I might have to have a look. I have not bought roses from them before.
    Oh thank you, I might have to have a look. I have not bought roses from them before.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. wiseowl

ITS A GOOD TIME TO PRUNE YOUR ROSES

Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch...
    Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch above the bud, slanting away from the bud and I still teach my students that an angled cut allows...
    Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch above the bud, slanting away from the bud and I...
    Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky
    Informative x 4

Propagating A Rose By Taking A Cutting

ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5...
    ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5 leaves,from the stock plant.Remove all except the top two leaf shoots but keep the buds.Cut the...
    ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5 leaves,from the stock plant.Remove all except the...
    ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5...
    P1340546.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky

Rose Replant Disease

Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose...
    Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose where one has been in the last 2 years? You could suffer from rose replant disease and the rose could...
    Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose where one has been in the last 2 years? You could...
    Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. wiseowl
    Like x 11

The History Of The Peace Rose

Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking...
    Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking bottle of homemade perfume. Bless her, she always put on a surprised look ( as adults we now think it...
    Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking bottle of homemade perfume. Bless her, she always...
    Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky

Growing Roses In Pots/Containers

Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A...
    Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A young Rose can be started in container smaller than eventually necessary and repotted as it becomes...
    Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A young Rose can be started in container smaller...
    Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky
    Like x 3

The Seven Groups Of Roses

thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my...
    thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my climbers are a group in themselves and that a few other groups exist. Very new to roses so just having a...
    thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my climbers are a group in themselves and that a few other...
    thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky
    Friendly x 3

ROSE PROBLEMS/BLACK SPOT/ Etc

CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects...
    CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects have no effect on your Rose they can be wiped off by hand or or dislodged with a jet of water from...
    CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects have no effect on your Rose they can be wiped off by...
    CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects...
    18cc0b5799bb2ccd75941b9f866888b0--trimming-roses-trim-roses.jpg 789-Rose-Pruning-Diagram.jpg Capture.JPG 74b6f1e8-5b17-11e5-91ef-1b38574a319f-316x316.jpg Sulphur.JPG cuckoo Spit.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Sandy Ground

Black Spot thoughts

Sounds lovely Sandy Ground, the scent of roses is so evocative of a Summer’s day, and I am an inveterate rose sniffer whenever I come across them.
    Sounds lovely Sandy Ground, the scent of roses is so evocative of a Summer’s day, and I am an inveterate rose sniffer whenever I come across them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. wiseowl
    Useful x 7

Pot Sizes

Thank you, That is going to be really helpful!
    Replies:
    Views:
  13.   » Normal Threads
  14. Butterfly6

Leggy Ipsahan

Thanks @lizzie27, I might just try rearranging it and re-tying in after it’s flowered this year. It flowers so prolifically and the scent is fabulous. I’ve been a bit tentative at the moment as I...
    Thanks @lizzie27, I might just try rearranging it and re-tying in after it’s flowered this year. It flowers so prolifically and the scent is fabulous. I’ve been a bit tentative at the moment as I didn’t want to risk breaking any stems and losing the flowersAm reassured that yours seems to...
    Thanks @lizzie27, I might just try rearranging it and re-tying in after it’s flowered this year. It flowers so prolifically and the scent is fabulous. I’ve been a bit tentative at the moment as I didn’t want to risk breaking any stems and losing...
    Thanks @lizzie27, I might just try rearranging it and re-tying in after it’s flowered this year. It flowers so prolifically and the scent is fabulous. I’ve been a bit tentative at the moment as I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. MoodyBlooms

Yves Piaget

Ah, yeah, that doesn't sound like my garden is the best place for it. Maybe I'll brave it if I ever move to a slightly sunnier plot a little further south.Nice to see a local-ish here!
    Ah, yeah, that doesn't sound like my garden is the best place for it. Maybe I'll brave it if I ever move to a slightly sunnier plot a little further south.Nice to see a local-ish here!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. fumanchu
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. RoisinMcGuire

Rose arches & climbing rose fence photos please

I've researched it a lot over the years and it's a toss-up between Guinée and Etoile de Hollande :)
    I've researched it a lot over the years and it's a toss-up between Guinée and Etoile de Hollande :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. brotherwaj

Raising level of rose bed

I always bury roses a bit when I plant them so that the graft is below the soil level, not as much as 6 inches though. I think also that it's too late to dig them up so I would leave them where...
    I always bury roses a bit when I plant them so that the graft is below the soil level, not as much as 6 inches though. I think also that it's too late to dig them up so I would leave them where they are.
    I always bury roses a bit when I plant them so that the graft is below the soil level, not as much as 6 inches though. I think also that it's too late to dig them up so I would leave them where they are.
    I always bury roses a bit when I plant them so that the graft is below the soil level, not as much as 6 inches though. I think also that it's too late to dig them up so I would leave them where...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. katecat58
    Like x 4

Discounts for roses

Also 20% off Peter Beales with code FEB20 until 24th March.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. TheMadHedger

Which rose bushes have the strongest scents, & which online stores are the best places to buy roses?

It's worth it @Ergates quite frequently the most fragrant are also the most thorny. I've been wanting a hedge of them after seeing them used like that in a rental in Norfolk five years ago...if...
    It's worth it @Ergates quite frequently the most fragrant are also the most thorny. I've been wanting a hedge of them after seeing them used like that in a rental in Norfolk five years ago...if the conifer hedge on one side of my new garden fails... I'll get it :biggrin:
    It's worth it @Ergates quite frequently the most fragrant are also the most thorny. I've been wanting a hedge of them after seeing them used like that in a rental in Norfolk five years ago...if the conifer hedge on one side of my new garden...
    It's worth it @Ergates quite frequently the most fragrant are also the most thorny. I've been wanting a hedge of them after seeing them used like that in a rental in Norfolk five years ago...if...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Jenny_Aster

So It Sstarts - Green/Black Fly!

Yes, that's why I was shocked.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Flumpy

ID and help please

That's good to know @Mrs Hilliard, I've got one in my cold frame at the moment!
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Jacquiscrap

Finding a rose as a memorial

Thanks Anni D, looks like I can order for delivery after my return from vacation which is perfect. Thanks for the link to the website they have a huge choice.
    Thanks Anni D, looks like I can order for delivery after my return from vacation which is perfect. Thanks for the link to the website they have a huge choice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Jonn

Doomed rose?

I certainly will. I have another 3 climbing roses which have problems that I will be posting about at some point. The garden is pretty small but there were 6 climbing roses, 4 trees and several...
    I certainly will. I have another 3 climbing roses which have problems that I will be posting about at some point. The garden is pretty small but there were 6 climbing roses, 4 trees and several shrubs mostly in pots as well as a dozen troughs, couple of dozen other smaller pots and several...
    I certainly will. I have another 3 climbing roses which have problems that I will be posting about at some point. The garden is pretty small but there were 6 climbing roses, 4 trees and several shrubs mostly in pots as well as a dozen troughs,...
    I certainly will. I have another 3 climbing roses which have problems that I will be posting about at some point. The garden is pretty small but there were 6 climbing roses, 4 trees and several...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Dropmore
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Mr Vine Eye
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. clanless

Control of rose black spot

I'm a big believer in plenty of mulch around Roses to smother any nasties getting splashed back up onto the plants:blue thumb:
    I'm a big believer in plenty of mulch around Roses to smother any nasties getting splashed back up onto the plants:blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. fumanchu

CLIMBERS

Thanks everybody, you lot are such a good help - I think I'll just haul it out and bin it. I got it in a hurry as it was a big fast-growing rose, to cover an ugly fence, but then we put up the...
    Thanks everybody, you lot are such a good help - I think I'll just haul it out and bin it. I got it in a hurry as it was a big fast-growing rose, to cover an ugly fence, but then we put up the trellis & don't need it now. And I'll read the bumf carefully when I replace it. But I could live with...
    Thanks everybody, you lot are such a good help - I think I'll just haul it out and bin it. I got it in a hurry as it was a big fast-growing rose, to cover an ugly fence, but then we put up the trellis & don't need it now. And I'll read the bumf...
    Thanks everybody, you lot are such a good help - I think I'll just haul it out and bin it. I got it in a hurry as it was a big fast-growing rose, to cover an ugly fence, but then we put up the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Butterfield

When to prune roses

Mine get shortened in Sept/Oct to reduce wind rock and then a proper prune between Dec and Mar on a dry, frost free and sunny day. Any later occurring frost/salt wind damage can be tidied up in...
    Mine get shortened in Sept/Oct to reduce wind rock and then a proper prune between Dec and Mar on a dry, frost free and sunny day. Any later occurring frost/salt wind damage can be tidied up in spring. Christmas day is a good one if conditions are right, I also tend to do the soft fruit at the...
    Mine get shortened in Sept/Oct to reduce wind rock and then a proper prune between Dec and Mar on a dry, frost free and sunny day. Any later occurring frost/salt wind damage can be tidied up in spring. Christmas day is a good one if conditions...
    Mine get shortened in Sept/Oct to reduce wind rock and then a proper prune between Dec and Mar on a dry, frost free and sunny day. Any later occurring frost/salt wind damage can be tidied up in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Marlton

Ambridge Rose

Good luck @Marlton with your search my friend I have exausted all my search contacts apart from USA/Australia/New Zealand
    Good luck @Marlton with your search my friend I have exausted all my search contacts apart from USA/Australia/New Zealand
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Bear1

Rose hip seeds from dog rose

If I remember correctly, rosa canina does come true, but there might be a slight bleaching of the flowers(more white than pink on some seedlings). Besides that, they're fairly easy.
    If I remember correctly, rosa canina does come true, but there might be a slight bleaching of the flowers(more white than pink on some seedlings). Besides that, they're fairly easy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Jacquiec

Please help me with my brown thumb

Thanks a lot for your help; I'll repot it today
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Surfer

Pruning rose bush

Yes @infradig, you're right. I had my winter pruning hat on when I replied. :doh:
    Yes @infradig, you're right. I had my winter pruning hat on when I replied. :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice