1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Harmony Arb
    Like x 3

The Importance Of Proper Pruning Of Trees

Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Harmony Arb
    Like x 6

Tree Health Diagnosis - A self help guide

Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!! The trees have been planted in the garden since...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!!...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Harmony Arb

The Importance of Tree Roots

When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had...
    When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had been well and truly soaked. This meant having the hose on all night, which had a adverse affect to...
    When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had been well and truly soaked. This meant having the...
    When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Harmony Arb

The Importance Of Tree Ecosystems

:wink::hehe: They are right I am afraid Harmony... :hehe:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Sargan

Pruning hedge - Cotoneaster franchetii

I know this is the 'tree' sub-forum, but seemed best match.I have this year planted a 75m run of Cotoneaster franchetii - I used Mycorrhizal Fungi on roots, imported new soil for the 75m trench,...
    I know this is the 'tree' sub-forum, but seemed best match.I have this year planted a 75m run of Cotoneaster franchetii - I used Mycorrhizal Fungi on roots, imported new soil for the 75m trench, and water daily when dry, and feed weekly with seaweed feed. So given them as good as I...
    I know this is the 'tree' sub-forum, but seemed best match.I have this year planted a 75m run of Cotoneaster franchetii - I used Mycorrhizal Fungi on roots, imported new soil for the 75m trench, and water daily when dry, and feed weekly with...
    I know this is the 'tree' sub-forum, but seemed best match.I have this year planted a 75m run of Cotoneaster franchetii - I used Mycorrhizal Fungi on roots, imported new soil for the 75m trench,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Beeder

Cleveland pear

@Beeder Certainly does look like a good crop of Aphids you have there looks like a couple of different kinds too..Well I think if I were you I would try a spray of weak washing up liquid/dish...
    @Beeder Certainly does look like a good crop of Aphids you have there looks like a couple of different kinds too..Well I think if I were you I would try a spray of weak washing up liquid/dish soap solution mixed with a little Lavender oil in a spray bottle for now and it might help.. Then in...
    @Beeder Certainly does look like a good crop of Aphids you have there looks like a couple of different kinds too..Well I think if I were you I would try a spray of weak washing up liquid/dish soap solution mixed with a little Lavender oil in a...
    @Beeder Certainly does look like a good crop of Aphids you have there looks like a couple of different kinds too..Well I think if I were you I would try a spray of weak washing up liquid/dish...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Nishant

Privet Hedge

Hello Friends,I live in Croydon: Uk. I am looking for thick Privet hedge roots. Just wondering if anyone was uprooting Privet, they can let me know and I could arrange for having this...
    Hello Friends,I live in Croydon: Uk. I am looking for thick Privet hedge roots. Just wondering if anyone was uprooting Privet, they can let me know and I could arrange for having this collected.So in case you come across a thick Privet which is going to be removed, please let me know. I will...
    Hello Friends,I live in Croydon: Uk. I am looking for thick Privet hedge roots. Just wondering if anyone was uprooting Privet, they can let me know and I could arrange for having this collected.So in case you come across a thick Privet which...
    Hello Friends,I live in Croydon: Uk. I am looking for thick Privet hedge roots. Just wondering if anyone was uprooting Privet, they can let me know and I could arrange for having this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. melanie93

Eucalyptus tree leaves turning brown and dropping?

Thanks for the replies. Leaf dropping seems to have calmed down since I posted. So fingers crossed it will be okay!
    Thanks for the replies. Leaf dropping seems to have calmed down since I posted. So fingers crossed it will be okay!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Ella17

Help please!!

I didn't realise they needed that much water!! I use a full watering can every other day - so obviously that's not enough! Thank you for the advice, I will get the feed that you suggest and hope...
    I didn't realise they needed that much water!! I use a full watering can every other day - so obviously that's not enough! Thank you for the advice, I will get the feed that you suggest and hope that they will recover. Do you think the fruits will be edible this year or are they too badly damaged?
    I didn't realise they needed that much water!! I use a full watering can every other day - so obviously that's not enough! Thank you for the advice, I will get the feed that you suggest and hope that they will recover. Do you think the fruits...
    I didn't realise they needed that much water!! I use a full watering can every other day - so obviously that's not enough! Thank you for the advice, I will get the feed that you suggest and hope...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. JDQuinn

Sick Libernum tree

Hi guys,I hope someone can give me a little advice on a sick libernum I have. It is a young sapling about 7ft tall. I bought it about early August time last year and planted it within a few...
    Hi guys,I hope someone can give me a little advice on a sick libernum I have. It is a young sapling about 7ft tall. I bought it about early August time last year and planted it within a few days of purchase. The rootball appeared healthy and I planted it by digging out, loosening the...
    Hi guys,I hope someone can give me a little advice on a sick libernum I have. It is a young sapling about 7ft tall. I bought it about early August time last year and planted it within a few days of purchase. The rootball appeared healthy and...
    Hi guys,I hope someone can give me a little advice on a sick libernum I have. It is a young sapling about 7ft tall. I bought it about early August time last year and planted it within a few...
    IMG_2451.JPG IMG_2446.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. TheMadHedger

Sapling ID required please

Thanks very much, for a sapling it has grown very fast over the past couple of months (far more so than my horse chestnut, oak and hazel saplings which I grew from nuts found in the wild). If...
    Thanks very much, for a sapling it has grown very fast over the past couple of months (far more so than my horse chestnut, oak and hazel saplings which I grew from nuts found in the wild). If that's in any way indicative of how fast it will continue to grow then I definitely need to at least...
    Thanks very much, for a sapling it has grown very fast over the past couple of months (far more so than my horse chestnut, oak and hazel saplings which I grew from nuts found in the wild). If that's in any way indicative of how fast it will...
    Thanks very much, for a sapling it has grown very fast over the past couple of months (far more so than my horse chestnut, oak and hazel saplings which I grew from nuts found in the wild). If...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Marley Farley

My poor Tulip Tree.!!

@pete Doh what am I thinking.!!!! I think you are spot on as I do have the darker veins and the mottling.. Thanks Pete you are a star.! :ThankYou::star::star::star:
    @pete Doh what am I thinking.!!!! I think you are spot on as I do have the darker veins and the mottling.. Thanks Pete you are a star.! :ThankYou::star::star::star:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Mike77

Sick Apple Tree

I wouldn't worry just yet. Perhaps it's just a late bloomer... literally. :))
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. wiseowl

Bent Stella Cherry tree

But do it gradually if it is badly bent.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. martyn bromley

Wilting advice

Agree with Tetters.....it has been so hot and plants' defensive systems are to wilt and drop leaves. I found even convolvulous cneorum, a plant that thrives in hot dry conditions, was suffering....
    Agree with Tetters.....it has been so hot and plants' defensive systems are to wilt and drop leaves. I found even convolvulous cneorum, a plant that thrives in hot dry conditions, was suffering. Luckily lately the sea mists have help it recover. When the rain comes plants will respond but...
    Agree with Tetters.....it has been so hot and plants' defensive systems are to wilt and drop leaves. I found even convolvulous cneorum, a plant that thrives in hot dry conditions, was suffering. Luckily lately the sea mists have help it recover....
    Agree with Tetters.....it has been so hot and plants' defensive systems are to wilt and drop leaves. I found even convolvulous cneorum, a plant that thrives in hot dry conditions, was suffering....
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Gooseh

Cut top off cypress goldcrest?

Taking the top out of any conifer will not kill it. The rest of the tree can be successfully shaped as long as you don`t cut into brown wood. PLEASE remember that the birds are still nesting...
    Taking the top out of any conifer will not kill it. The rest of the tree can be successfully shaped as long as you don`t cut into brown wood. PLEASE remember that the birds are still nesting at the moment. Later in the year is the best time for cutting and shaping to give our feathered...
    Taking the top out of any conifer will not kill it. The rest of the tree can be successfully shaped as long as you don`t cut into brown wood. PLEASE remember that the birds are still nesting at the moment. Later in the year is the best time...
    Taking the top out of any conifer will not kill it. The rest of the tree can be successfully shaped as long as you don`t cut into brown wood. PLEASE remember that the birds are still nesting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Janbristol

Moving a crab apple tree

It's young enough to move successfully and the fact that it has only been in the position for a year bodes well, provided you do it at the right time when it is dormant. Best done between...
    It's young enough to move successfully and the fact that it has only been in the position for a year bodes well, provided you do it at the right time when it is dormant. Best done between November and February.
    It's young enough to move successfully and the fact that it has only been in the position for a year bodes well, provided you do it at the right time when it is dormant. Best done between November and February.
    It's young enough to move successfully and the fact that it has only been in the position for a year bodes well, provided you do it at the right time when it is dormant. Best done between...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Loopylupin

Flamingo Willow twig planted

Hi Loopylupin, It should be fine in a container, we have one growing in a square container which is about 18 by 18 inches and 24 inches deep. The thing to remember with these is to keep them well...
    Hi Loopylupin, It should be fine in a container, we have one growing in a square container which is about 18 by 18 inches and 24 inches deep. The thing to remember with these is to keep them well watered at all times.
    Hi Loopylupin, It should be fine in a container, we have one growing in a square container which is about 18 by 18 inches and 24 inches deep. The thing to remember with these is to keep them well watered at all times.
    Hi Loopylupin, It should be fine in a container, we have one growing in a square container which is about 18 by 18 inches and 24 inches deep. The thing to remember with these is to keep them well...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Redwing

Old Olive Trees in Pots

This is our standard olive tree 5 years old . We call it Maya's tree , as sadly our black cocker Maya died the weekend we bought it .
    This is our standard olive tree 5 years old . We call it Maya's tree , as sadly our black cocker Maya died the weekend we bought it .
    DSCI0001 (1).JPG DSCI0008 (1).JPG e6c2c803285eca685564ce7ac7925aad.jpg DSCI0001 (3).JPG DSCI0002 (2).JPG Pierre.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Gooseh

Can I rescue my bay tree

This pesky thing is still going..I had to hack it to pieces because of scale insect...and it's totally regrown now :blue thumb:
    This pesky thing is still going..I had to hack it to pieces because of scale insect...and it's totally regrown now :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Tetters

Burr or Burl ...

Zigs, is it right that these burrs are formed when a tree is wounded in some way - like a carbuncle? I look at this one and wonder what sort of pearls of beauty there may be on the inside. ...
    Zigs, is it right that these burrs are formed when a tree is wounded in some way - like a carbuncle? I look at this one and wonder what sort of pearls of beauty there may be on the inside. ......must leave chain saw at home....mumble mumble...:th scifD36::th scifD36::th scifD36::thud:
    Zigs, is it right that these burrs are formed when a tree is wounded in some way - like a carbuncle? I look at this one and wonder what sort of pearls of beauty there may be on the inside. ......must leave chain saw at home....mumble mumble...:th scifD36::th scifD36::th scifD36::thud:
    Zigs, is it right that these burrs are formed when a tree is wounded in some way - like a carbuncle? I look at this one and wonder what sort of pearls of beauty there may be on the inside. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Gavin Bell

Cherry tree

Water 2 or 3 times with epsom salts Gavin. :) A neighbour had a similar problem a few years back and I suggested epsom salts. The effect was "a miracle" according to her.....no miracle only what I...
    Water 2 or 3 times with epsom salts Gavin. :) A neighbour had a similar problem a few years back and I suggested epsom salts. The effect was "a miracle" according to her.....no miracle only what I expected. Magnesium deficiency for me Epsom salts is cheap, safe and effective as a tonic if...
    Water 2 or 3 times with epsom salts Gavin. :) A neighbour had a similar problem a few years back and I suggested epsom salts. The effect was "a miracle" according to her.....no miracle only what I expected. Magnesium deficiency for me Epsom salts...
    Water 2 or 3 times with epsom salts Gavin. :) A neighbour had a similar problem a few years back and I suggested epsom salts. The effect was "a miracle" according to her.....no miracle only what I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Ivan Opinion

Cherry tree on strike? or at death's door?

I did. The tree surgeon could not see any obvious explanation, even when he ground down to the roots. But it was definitely an ex-tree.
    I did. The tree surgeon could not see any obvious explanation, even when he ground down to the roots. But it was definitely an ex-tree.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. BrandNewGardener
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options