1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Harmony Arb

The Importance of Tree Roots

Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful when planning gardens if we knew whether a tree is tap-rooted or not, as some species are while...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful when planning gardens if we knew whether a tree is...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Harmony Arb
    Like x 3

The Importance Of Proper Pruning Of Trees

Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Harmony Arb
    Like x 6

Tree Health Diagnosis - A self help guide

Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!! The trees have been planted in the garden since...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!!...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Harmony Arb

The Importance Of Tree Ecosystems

:wink::hehe: They are right I am afraid Harmony... :hehe:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Robert Smith

High Hedge Act - unusual case needs advice

Legal Protection cover is usually a bolt on to your house insurance - we have it. It covers things like disputes involving noisy neighbours, boundary disputes, or damage to the property where...
    Legal Protection cover is usually a bolt on to your house insurance - we have it. It covers things like disputes involving noisy neighbours, boundary disputes, or damage to the property where no-one has admitted liability etc. In my opinion (with my old Insurance Underwriter hat on) it’s cover...
    Legal Protection cover is usually a bolt on to your house insurance - we have it. It covers things like disputes involving noisy neighbours, boundary disputes, or damage to the property where no-one has admitted liability etc. In my opinion...
    Legal Protection cover is usually a bolt on to your house insurance - we have it. It covers things like disputes involving noisy neighbours, boundary disputes, or damage to the property where...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. strongylodon

ID

Thanks @WeeTam but it is not Sycamore (fortunately).I think you are right @pete, I never associated it with Acer negundo only being familiar with the variegated form. It was probably planted...
    Thanks @WeeTam but it is not Sycamore (fortunately).I think you are right @pete, I never associated it with Acer negundo only being familiar with the variegated form. It was probably planted 30/40 years ago so it is at full height.
    Thanks @WeeTam but it is not Sycamore (fortunately).I think you are right @pete, I never associated it with Acer negundo only being familiar with the variegated form. It was probably planted 30/40 years ago so it is at full height.
    Thanks @WeeTam but it is not Sycamore (fortunately).I think you are right @pete, I never associated it with Acer negundo only being familiar with the variegated form. It was probably planted...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. RowieW

What trees ???

Have sent for a soil testing kit. Though not sure if I'm clued up enough to use the information when I've got it
    Have sent for a soil testing kit. Though not sure if I'm clued up enough to use the information when I've got it
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Black Orchid

Need help with a flowering cherry tree

Pete this annoys me :wallbanging: with shops and garden centres forcing plants in to flower well before their time just to sell them and show the plant at it's full beauty :mute:
    Pete this annoys me :wallbanging: with shops and garden centres forcing plants in to flower well before their time just to sell them and show the plant at it's full beauty :mute:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. daisybelle

Ornamental cherry pruning

Right, I don’t know With the apples, I’ve been trying to establish the crotches. Happy to leave it
    Right, I don’t know With the apples, I’ve been trying to establish the crotches. Happy to leave it
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. silu

Very badly split Laburnum trunk

What a job! Friend and I have managed with huge amounts of difficulty to get 1 rod through the trunk and done pretty much what @Sandy Ground suggested. This task was a lot more difficult than we...
    What a job! Friend and I have managed with huge amounts of difficulty to get 1 rod through the trunk and done pretty much what @Sandy Ground suggested. This task was a lot more difficult than we thought it was going to be as friend didn't have a drill bit long enough to go all the way through...
    What a job! Friend and I have managed with huge amounts of difficulty to get 1 rod through the trunk and done pretty much what @Sandy Ground suggested. This task was a lot more difficult than we thought it was going to be as friend didn't have a...
    What a job! Friend and I have managed with huge amounts of difficulty to get 1 rod through the trunk and done pretty much what @Sandy Ground suggested. This task was a lot more difficult than we...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Smudgedhorizon

Disease on acer - please help!

No, not a symptom of sunburn I think. Im referring to the white/grey splashes too not the red coloured wood which is normal. I assume those "smudges" occurred over winter early spring! An...
    No, not a symptom of sunburn I think. Im referring to the white/grey splashes too not the red coloured wood which is normal. I assume those "smudges" occurred over winter early spring! An alcohol based treatment should not do any damage. Perhaps others can add their views here.... An...
    No, not a symptom of sunburn I think. Im referring to the white/grey splashes too not the red coloured wood which is normal. I assume those "smudges" occurred over winter early spring! An alcohol based treatment should not do any...
    No, not a symptom of sunburn I think. Im referring to the white/grey splashes too not the red coloured wood which is normal. I assume those "smudges" occurred over winter early spring! An...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Jack Sparrow

Tree for small garden

If you want a fruit tree for a small garden got for a ballerina apple tree - a friend of mine has two in her postage stamp front garden - they give a wonderful crop and are a real feature without...
    If you want a fruit tree for a small garden got for a ballerina apple tree - a friend of mine has two in her postage stamp front garden - they give a wonderful crop and are a real feature without being too over bearing (unlike my mother in law who is a real feature and over bearing :love30:). hopefully...
    If you want a fruit tree for a small garden got for a ballerina apple tree - a friend of mine has two in her postage stamp front garden - they give a wonderful crop and are a real feature without being too over bearing (unlike my mother in law...
    If you want a fruit tree for a small garden got for a ballerina apple tree - a friend of mine has two in her postage stamp front garden - they give a wonderful crop and are a real feature without...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Lee Savage

Tree suitable for front garden

Thanks Tetters
    Thanks Tetters
    Thanks Tetters
    Thanks Tetters
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. CulmoreCultivator

What is this tree?????

May not have to wait a whole year ;) If you think about it: what is a greenhouse? :dunno: Nothing more than a rather huge propagator ;)To keep her enthusiasm, you can propagate seeds even on a windowsill!...
    May not have to wait a whole year ;) If you think about it: what is a greenhouse? :dunno: Nothing more than a rather huge propagator ;)To keep her enthusiasm, you can propagate seeds even on a windowsill! That may make the 12 month rule more bearable for her and will definitely give your wallet time...
    May not have to wait a whole year ;) If you think about it: what is a greenhouse? :dunno: Nothing more than a rather huge propagator ;)To keep her enthusiasm, you can propagate seeds even on a windowsill! That may make the 12 month rule more bearable...
    May not have to wait a whole year ;) If you think about it: what is a greenhouse? :dunno: Nothing more than a rather huge propagator ;)To keep her enthusiasm, you can propagate seeds even on a windowsill!...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. thriftybri

pollination

Thank you :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. kazzawazza

Over-pruning a Lilac tree

If it ever warms up!Any suckers that do appear are easily taken care of if you are vigilant. Anything up to 30cm away on a small shrub like that, but they can walk more.
    If it ever warms up!Any suckers that do appear are easily taken care of if you are vigilant. Anything up to 30cm away on a small shrub like that, but they can walk more.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Sian in Belgium

Pruning fruit trees .

Difficult to say for sure without knowing the varieties Kazzawazza because apple trees are either spur bearers or tip bearers and the pruning method is different. Also the pear usually needs, or...
    Difficult to say for sure without knowing the varieties Kazzawazza because apple trees are either spur bearers or tip bearers and the pruning method is different. Also the pear usually needs, or benefits from, another as a pollinator even if it is stated it is self fertile. Anyway, the point of...
    Difficult to say for sure without knowing the varieties Kazzawazza because apple trees are either spur bearers or tip bearers and the pruning method is different. Also the pear usually needs, or benefits from, another as a pollinator even if it...
    Difficult to say for sure without knowing the varieties Kazzawazza because apple trees are either spur bearers or tip bearers and the pruning method is different. Also the pear usually needs, or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Sandpiper

Cherry Laurel /Prunus laurocerasus - not looking good!

Hello there, We have just sadly had to lose a huge magnificent horse chestnut tree which dominated the garden and put part of it in semi-shade for most of the time. It looks like our small 'tree'...
    Hello there, We have just sadly had to lose a huge magnificent horse chestnut tree which dominated the garden and put part of it in semi-shade for most of the time. It looks like our small 'tree' Cherry Laurel - Prunus laurocerasus - which is about 10 feet tall has taken this sudden extra light...
    Hello there, We have just sadly had to lose a huge magnificent horse chestnut tree which dominated the garden and put part of it in semi-shade for most of the time. It looks like our small 'tree' Cherry Laurel - Prunus laurocerasus - which is...
    Hello there, We have just sadly had to lose a huge magnificent horse chestnut tree which dominated the garden and put part of it in semi-shade for most of the time. It looks like our small 'tree'...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Irmemac

Cut to Here?

That is very sad. We lost a relative in December 2016 the same way. Two young daughters. Just awful.
    That is very sad. We lost a relative in December 2016 the same way. Two young daughters. Just awful.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Larches

Pruning advice needed (pear tree)

Hi Larches, Winter is the main pruning time for trees grown for fruit production. I personally wouldn't attempt it now other than shortening the odd branch as around here the trees are starting...
    Hi Larches, Winter is the main pruning time for trees grown for fruit production. I personally wouldn't attempt it now other than shortening the odd branch as around here the trees are starting to swell their buds.For ornamental trees ( I presume you grow yours for the blossom ) then the best...
    Hi Larches, Winter is the main pruning time for trees grown for fruit production. I personally wouldn't attempt it now other than shortening the odd branch as around here the trees are starting to swell their buds.For ornamental trees ( I...
    Hi Larches, Winter is the main pruning time for trees grown for fruit production. I personally wouldn't attempt it now other than shortening the odd branch as around here the trees are starting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. karaman

Mimosa tree - how do i propagate it?

@Doghouse Riley I've seen these on odd occasions in the garden centres and yes they do cost a fare bit of money but beautiful to look at :love30: and like yourself I've moved no end out of pots...two...
    @Doghouse Riley I've seen these on odd occasions in the garden centres and yes they do cost a fare bit of money but beautiful to look at :love30: and like yourself I've moved no end out of pots...two years ago I gave big ones away:)
    @Doghouse Riley I've seen these on odd occasions in the garden centres and yes they do cost a fare bit of money but beautiful to look at :love30: and like yourself I've moved no end out of pots...two years ago I gave big ones away:)
    @Doghouse Riley I've seen these on odd occasions in the garden centres and yes they do cost a fare bit of money but beautiful to look at :love30: and like yourself I've moved no end out of pots...two...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Fat Controller

Patio Apple tree and dwarf plum

POSTED ON BEHALF OF @kazzawazzaHiWe bought a patio Apple tree last year that produces two types of Apple's. When and how do I prune it?We also bought a dwarf plum but last year it didn'...
    POSTED ON BEHALF OF @kazzawazzaHiWe bought a patio Apple tree last year that produces two types of Apple's. When and how do I prune it?We also bought a dwarf plum but last year it didn' fruit. How and when do I prune it and does a um self pollnate?Thank you.
    POSTED ON BEHALF OF @kazzawazzaHiWe bought a patio Apple tree last year that produces two types of Apple's. When and how do I prune it?We also bought a dwarf plum but last year it didn' fruit. How and when do I prune it and does a um self...
    POSTED ON BEHALF OF @kazzawazzaHiWe bought a patio Apple tree last year that produces two types of Apple's. When and how do I prune it?We also bought a dwarf plum but last year it didn'...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Denton Dave

Pruning an Apple tree that has bent for some reason

Looks like the weight of the fruit bent it. I wouldn't bother trying to straighten it, just cut it back by 2 thirds :)
    Looks like the weight of the fruit bent it. I wouldn't bother trying to straighten it, just cut it back by 2 thirds :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Tetters

Judi Dench.. My passion for trees

We watched this last evening and found it quiet educational and it is nice learning new stuff even at our age and also the fact that I love trees so much and not sure if you know but anyone can...
    We watched this last evening and found it quiet educational and it is nice learning new stuff even at our age and also the fact that I love trees so much and not sure if you know but anyone can buy parcels of woodland in the country so we could all be woodland owners if we had enough cash to buy...
    We watched this last evening and found it quiet educational and it is nice learning new stuff even at our age and also the fact that I love trees so much and not sure if you know but anyone can buy parcels of woodland in the country so we could...
    We watched this last evening and found it quiet educational and it is nice learning new stuff even at our age and also the fact that I love trees so much and not sure if you know but anyone can...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options