1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Harmony Arb
    Like x 3

The Importance Of Proper Pruning Of Trees

Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Harmony Arb
    Like x 5

Tree Health Diagnosis - A self help guide

Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!! The trees have been planted in the garden since...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!!...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Harmony Arb

The Importance of Tree Roots

When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had...
    When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had been well and truly soaked. This meant having the hose on all night, which had a adverse affect to...
    When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had been well and truly soaked. This meant having the...
    When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Harmony Arb

The Importance Of Tree Ecosystems

:wink::hehe: They are right I am afraid Harmony... :hehe:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Scudo

Apple tree pruning

If I may offer a suggestion? The tree will grow and thrive much better if you clear some of the grass around it, say 18" all round, and mulch the root area (keeping the mulch away from the...
    If I may offer a suggestion? The tree will grow and thrive much better if you clear some of the grass around it, say 18" all round, and mulch the root area (keeping the mulch away from the trunk). Grass is pretty stiff competition for a young tree in terms of food and water. It will also make...
    If I may offer a suggestion? The tree will grow and thrive much better if you clear some of the grass around it, say 18" all round, and mulch the root area (keeping the mulch away from the trunk). Grass is pretty stiff competition for a young...
    If I may offer a suggestion? The tree will grow and thrive much better if you clear some of the grass around it, say 18" all round, and mulch the root area (keeping the mulch away from the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Ivan Opinion

Cherry tree on strike? or at death's door?

Thanks. Looks like I need to start thinking about chopping it down and replacing it.Actually, in my case it might be honey fungus. I do seem to remember there was an outcrop of mushrooms at the...
    Thanks. Looks like I need to start thinking about chopping it down and replacing it.Actually, in my case it might be honey fungus. I do seem to remember there was an outcrop of mushrooms at the base a year or two ago. I'll investigate for the white fungus.
    Thanks. Looks like I need to start thinking about chopping it down and replacing it.Actually, in my case it might be honey fungus. I do seem to remember there was an outcrop of mushrooms at the base a year or two ago. I'll investigate for the...
    Thanks. Looks like I need to start thinking about chopping it down and replacing it.Actually, in my case it might be honey fungus. I do seem to remember there was an outcrop of mushrooms at the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Heucherella

Recommendations for a flowering cherry

I am going to plant some trees in my garden next year, and want to have at least one flowering cherry. The problem is, which one???I grew up with the big double pink ones, and am not keen, so...
    I am going to plant some trees in my garden next year, and want to have at least one flowering cherry. The problem is, which one???I grew up with the big double pink ones, and am not keen, so single flowered recommendations please. I have lots of room, so size not an issue. Not keen on weeping...
    I am going to plant some trees in my garden next year, and want to have at least one flowering cherry. The problem is, which one???I grew up with the big double pink ones, and am not keen, so single flowered recommendations please. I have lots...
    I am going to plant some trees in my garden next year, and want to have at least one flowering cherry. The problem is, which one???I grew up with the big double pink ones, and am not keen, so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Gavin Bell

Cherry tree

SQUARE YARD!? Whats that in English?:snorky: I put the hose on it for awhile, got a box of bone meal, used it all up and raked the soil over. We will see what happens. Cheers
    SQUARE YARD!? Whats that in English?:snorky: I put the hose on it for awhile, got a box of bone meal, used it all up and raked the soil over. We will see what happens. Cheers
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Rachel hughes

Japanese maple trees

Over potting anything is not good. Putting small plants in large pots is a recipe for disaster. Far better to pot on as plants grow so I agree with dinp here :) Protection from the strongest sun...
    Over potting anything is not good. Putting small plants in large pots is a recipe for disaster. Far better to pot on as plants grow so I agree with dinp here :) Protection from the strongest sun and winds is vital........taller plants on the exposed sides will enable acers to grow so much better....
    Over potting anything is not good. Putting small plants in large pots is a recipe for disaster. Far better to pot on as plants grow so I agree with dinp here :) Protection from the strongest sun and winds is vital........taller plants on the...
    Over potting anything is not good. Putting small plants in large pots is a recipe for disaster. Far better to pot on as plants grow so I agree with dinp here :) Protection from the strongest sun...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. dinp

Bay Tree in pot.

Thank you all for the useful tips.I got the tree out eventually, using an old knife, then a saw to add some power while cutting the roots around the rim, a couple of inches in. It was some...
    Thank you all for the useful tips.I got the tree out eventually, using an old knife, then a saw to add some power while cutting the roots around the rim, a couple of inches in. It was some work. The whole container was full of roots. About a third were discarded, which enabled new compost to...
    Thank you all for the useful tips.I got the tree out eventually, using an old knife, then a saw to add some power while cutting the roots around the rim, a couple of inches in. It was some work. The whole container was full of roots. About a...
    Thank you all for the useful tips.I got the tree out eventually, using an old knife, then a saw to add some power while cutting the roots around the rim, a couple of inches in. It was some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. HowardM

Box hedge nursery

Hello, I am seeking advise about the 50 6" high box hedge plants I bought. I have created a nursery area to get them to a decent size before being planted in their final place. I dont want to put...
    Hello, I am seeking advise about the 50 6" high box hedge plants I bought. I have created a nursery area to get them to a decent size before being planted in their final place. I dont want to put them in pots because they would need watering. Are those Root control bags a good idea to aid...
    Hello, I am seeking advise about the 50 6" high box hedge plants I bought. I have created a nursery area to get them to a decent size before being planted in their final place. I dont want to put them in pots because they would need watering. Are...
    Hello, I am seeking advise about the 50 6" high box hedge plants I bought. I have created a nursery area to get them to a decent size before being planted in their final place. I dont want to put...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Clare G

What can I do with holly leaves?

They make a handy cushion stuffing to give to people you don't like :spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Ariadae

Tree preservation order

Looks like a Western red Cedar to me, for sure. TPOs are usually placed on tree with historical, cultural, financial or amenity (inc. landcape / treescape) value. Contacting the tree officer would...
    Looks like a Western red Cedar to me, for sure. TPOs are usually placed on tree with historical, cultural, financial or amenity (inc. landcape / treescape) value. Contacting the tree officer would be your best bet for finding out why this tree has been chosen.
    Looks like a Western red Cedar to me, for sure. TPOs are usually placed on tree with historical, cultural, financial or amenity (inc. landcape / treescape) value. Contacting the tree officer would be your best bet for finding out why this tree...
    Looks like a Western red Cedar to me, for sure. TPOs are usually placed on tree with historical, cultural, financial or amenity (inc. landcape / treescape) value. Contacting the tree officer would...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. dinp

Japanese Maples

Thank you all. Much appreciated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Rachel hughes

Magnolia tree

Thanks guys I will try these tips out......I really do appreciate it as I'm a real novice this will be my first summer as we moved in here august last year
    Thanks guys I will try these tips out......I really do appreciate it as I'm a real novice this will be my first summer as we moved in here august last year
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Bilbo675
    Like x 5

Seed Grown Horse Chestnut Has First Flower!

How wonderful Bilbo:yay: such a fab accomplishment :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. SuperBubbleGumHaZe

Please help me with my loquat tree!!

Thanks have made the cut hope it makez it :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. polypody

Dunemann Box

New one on me, but sounds interesting :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. fat controller

Cherry blossom tree advice please

Eeeek! Bad news. Like I said, a heads-up for anyone reading the thread that has fruit or ornamental trees. The only cure is to stuff a stiff wire up into the channel (s) caused by the larvae and...
    Eeeek! Bad news. Like I said, a heads-up for anyone reading the thread that has fruit or ornamental trees. The only cure is to stuff a stiff wire up into the channel (s) caused by the larvae and squish the blighters. There are pheromone traps available but they don't seem to be very effective. ...
    Eeeek! Bad news. Like I said, a heads-up for anyone reading the thread that has fruit or ornamental trees. The only cure is to stuff a stiff wire up into the channel (s) caused by the larvae and squish the blighters. There are pheromone traps...
    Eeeek! Bad news. Like I said, a heads-up for anyone reading the thread that has fruit or ornamental trees. The only cure is to stuff a stiff wire up into the channel (s) caused by the larvae and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Sandy Ground

Diervilla x splendens 'diva' aka Bush Honeysuckle

I have one in my garden and it's a very easy going shrub, can be left to grow larger, just removing dead growth or as often recommended can be cut back harder in late winter.I don't see why it...
    I have one in my garden and it's a very easy going shrub, can be left to grow larger, just removing dead growth or as often recommended can be cut back harder in late winter.I don't see why it can't be used as a low informal hedge as it is robust, not too fussy on soil types or pH and will...
    I have one in my garden and it's a very easy going shrub, can be left to grow larger, just removing dead growth or as often recommended can be cut back harder in late winter.I don't see why it can't be used as a low informal hedge as it is...
    I have one in my garden and it's a very easy going shrub, can be left to grow larger, just removing dead growth or as often recommended can be cut back harder in late winter.I don't see why it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Callanderkath

Beech hedge brutally singed by builders fire!

This is a real pity. Beech makes such a beautiful hedge and takes a long time to reach a height like that. Shame on the builders! :wallbanging:Zooming into the recent pic, it looks like there are small leaf...
    This is a real pity. Beech makes such a beautiful hedge and takes a long time to reach a height like that. Shame on the builders! :wallbanging:Zooming into the recent pic, it looks like there are small leaf buds on some of the branches, so all may not be lost. Like @JWK and @shiney say... it could be worth...
    This is a real pity. Beech makes such a beautiful hedge and takes a long time to reach a height like that. Shame on the builders! :wallbanging:Zooming into the recent pic, it looks like there are small leaf buds on some of the branches, so all may not be...
    This is a real pity. Beech makes such a beautiful hedge and takes a long time to reach a height like that. Shame on the builders! :wallbanging:Zooming into the recent pic, it looks like there are small leaf...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. brian49

Photinia Red Robin trees dying or very sick?

Hi Brian. If you can see some new growth (they should be starting to grow new red leaves from the tips of the branches round about now) they're still alive and might be worth planting out if...
    Hi Brian. If you can see some new growth (they should be starting to grow new red leaves from the tips of the branches round about now) they're still alive and might be worth planting out if you've got space. They are excellent screening plants, although you might not need that if you've got a...
    Hi Brian. If you can see some new growth (they should be starting to grow new red leaves from the tips of the branches round about now) they're still alive and might be worth planting out if you've got space. They are excellent screening plants,...
    Hi Brian. If you can see some new growth (they should be starting to grow new red leaves from the tips of the branches round about now) they're still alive and might be worth planting out if...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. M tomlin

Lopping/cutting silver birch

Now that's gotta be a GC first Bilob :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. fat controller

Blossom

I tend to think the flowering of blossom is not totally straight forward. Around here some almond and cherry is out, but some cherry is yet to even show colour, Blackthorn has been out for two...
    I tend to think the flowering of blossom is not totally straight forward. Around here some almond and cherry is out, but some cherry is yet to even show colour, Blackthorn has been out for two weeks and reaching it's peak.I once read an article some years ago regarding forsythia, no not...
    I tend to think the flowering of blossom is not totally straight forward. Around here some almond and cherry is out, but some cherry is yet to even show colour, Blackthorn has been out for two weeks and reaching it's peak.I once read an...
    I tend to think the flowering of blossom is not totally straight forward. Around here some almond and cherry is out, but some cherry is yet to even show colour, Blackthorn has been out for two...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options