1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. OCTOBER PHOTO COMP Is now open so why not pop an entry in.. The theme is "WATER"
    Dismiss Notice

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Harmony Arb

The Importance of Tree Roots

Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful when planning gardens if we knew whether a tree is tap-rooted or not, as some species are while...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful when planning gardens if we knew whether a tree is...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Harmony Arb
    Like x 3

The Importance Of Proper Pruning Of Trees

Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Harmony Arb
    Like x 7

Tree Health Diagnosis - A self help guide

Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!! The trees have been planted in the garden since...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!!...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Harmony Arb

The Importance Of Tree Ecosystems

:wink::hehe: They are right I am afraid Harmony... :hehe:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Mel

tree fern

In that case greybelle, yes contact garden company asap. :) You should receive a replacement or refund and hopefully be able to hang on to your plant too.....not the easiest thing to determine if...
    In that case greybelle, yes contact garden company asap. :) You should receive a replacement or refund and hopefully be able to hang on to your plant too.....not the easiest thing to determine if it is alive or not. Let us know how you get on :)
    In that case greybelle, yes contact garden company asap. :) You should receive a replacement or refund and hopefully be able to hang on to your plant too.....not the easiest thing to determine if it is alive or not. Let us know how you get on :)
    In that case greybelle, yes contact garden company asap. :) You should receive a replacement or refund and hopefully be able to hang on to your plant too.....not the easiest thing to determine if...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. TheMadHedger

Apple tree uprooted

Thanks, that sound promising. There's still about half to two thirds of the roots underground - no doubt a few are bent or snapped but going by those that were exposed they seem very flexible so I...
    Thanks, that sound promising. There's still about half to two thirds of the roots underground - no doubt a few are bent or snapped but going by those that were exposed they seem very flexible so I have high hopes for more apples next year. :)
    Thanks, that sound promising. There's still about half to two thirds of the roots underground - no doubt a few are bent or snapped but going by those that were exposed they seem very flexible so I have high hopes for more apples next year. :)
    Thanks, that sound promising. There's still about half to two thirds of the roots underground - no doubt a few are bent or snapped but going by those that were exposed they seem very flexible so I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. HarryS

Stump Grinding + Returf ?

Just had the conifers removed and the stumps ground down before we went on holiday . As you say the stump grinding is a brutal process . It basically batters the stumps into hundreds of pieces. As...
    Just had the conifers removed and the stumps ground down before we went on holiday . As you say the stump grinding is a brutal process . It basically batters the stumps into hundreds of pieces. As soon as the tree surgeon saw the conifers , he said red spider mites was the problem . We have seen...
    Just had the conifers removed and the stumps ground down before we went on holiday . As you say the stump grinding is a brutal process . It basically batters the stumps into hundreds of pieces. As soon as the tree surgeon saw the conifers , he...
    Just had the conifers removed and the stumps ground down before we went on holiday . As you say the stump grinding is a brutal process . It basically batters the stumps into hundreds of pieces. As...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. hedgefog

Is this Birch tree dead?

Yes, it had been done a week ago.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Paul Blackburn

Solanum Tree Blown Over

I have just cut it right back and ended up with four wheelbarrows wood to get rid of luckily there is a skip on my allotment site which will be taken away tomorrow and I was able to put in on...
    I have just cut it right back and ended up with four wheelbarrows wood to get rid of luckily there is a skip on my allotment site which will be taken away tomorrow and I was able to put in on there.Not sure how to support it as it is right next to the fence so no room to put a stake behind to...
    I have just cut it right back and ended up with four wheelbarrows wood to get rid of luckily there is a skip on my allotment site which will be taken away tomorrow and I was able to put in on there.Not sure how to support it as it is right next...
    I have just cut it right back and ended up with four wheelbarrows wood to get rid of luckily there is a skip on my allotment site which will be taken away tomorrow and I was able to put in on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. p.a.t.r.i.c.k

Can you tell me what kind of tree this is please?

Sadly I cannot tell from your photo It would be good if we could have a close up of the leaves so we can see in detail the size shape etc of the leaves also growing habit.. is it a predominately...
    Sadly I cannot tell from your photo It would be good if we could have a close up of the leaves so we can see in detail the size shape etc of the leaves also growing habit.. is it a predominately weeping or does the tree have upright growth but because of growing conditions, the branches look...
    Sadly I cannot tell from your photo It would be good if we could have a close up of the leaves so we can see in detail the size shape etc of the leaves also growing habit.. is it a predominately weeping or does the tree have upright growth but...
    Sadly I cannot tell from your photo It would be good if we could have a close up of the leaves so we can see in detail the size shape etc of the leaves also growing habit.. is it a predominately...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Paul Blackburn

Can someone tell me the names of these plants

I agree whole heartedly that you can’t beat plant knowledge and I would love to instantly recognise plants, however I’m a complete garden novice so I intend to use the app to ID plants I like to...
    I agree whole heartedly that you can’t beat plant knowledge and I would love to instantly recognise plants, however I’m a complete garden novice so I intend to use the app to ID plants I like to see if they will work in my garden and also to slowly build up my knowledge of plants etc
    I agree whole heartedly that you can’t beat plant knowledge and I would love to instantly recognise plants, however I’m a complete garden novice so I intend to use the app to ID plants I like to see if they will work in my garden and also to...
    I agree whole heartedly that you can’t beat plant knowledge and I would love to instantly recognise plants, however I’m a complete garden novice so I intend to use the app to ID plants I like to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Oogle The Poogle

Pruning a new ginko

My guess would be it would be OK to do it now. Or a bit later if you prefer. Just wouldn't do it after January.
    My guess would be it would be OK to do it now. Or a bit later if you prefer. Just wouldn't do it after January.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. samtialou

Conifer advice

Phytophthora is common these days and increasingly responsible for the death of many trees, conifers and even shrubs. It can be slow or very quick With conifers, in my experience, phytophthora...
    Phytophthora is common these days and increasingly responsible for the death of many trees, conifers and even shrubs. It can be slow or very quick With conifers, in my experience, phytophthora can make their removal much easier as often the roots are damaged and less resistant.However,...
    Phytophthora is common these days and increasingly responsible for the death of many trees, conifers and even shrubs. It can be slow or very quick With conifers, in my experience, phytophthora can make their removal much easier as often the...
    Phytophthora is common these days and increasingly responsible for the death of many trees, conifers and even shrubs. It can be slow or very quick With conifers, in my experience, phytophthora...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Chris1953

Stag Horn Tree

Usually in my experience, if the leaves fall naturally, the plant is still alive. If they shrivel and stay attached the wood is dead.
    Usually in my experience, if the leaves fall naturally, the plant is still alive. If they shrivel and stay attached the wood is dead.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Ariadae

Pruning a 10 foot tall bay tree

Me! Me! Me! :snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. samtialou

Grafted wisteria tree

Got to agree with @Sian in Belgium the support will never take the weight of a wisteria. The archway you show would be much better.
    Got to agree with @Sian in Belgium the support will never take the weight of a wisteria. The archway you show would be much better.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Bfm

Ash tree removal

Thanks very much everyone. Much appreciated
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. BassFisher

Acer, can I move it?

You can cut half the roots back now. I'd not like to comment regarding the pruning, sounds a bit drastic to me, but some pruning would be good before the move.
    You can cut half the roots back now. I'd not like to comment regarding the pruning, sounds a bit drastic to me, but some pruning would be good before the move.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. roders
    Funny x 5

How do new oak trees happen.

I've always understood that it's a leftover from our original hunter-gatherer lifestyle - always on the lookout for potential enemies or prey.It's known as pareidolia: Pareidolia - Wikipedia
    I've always understood that it's a leftover from our original hunter-gatherer lifestyle - always on the lookout for potential enemies or prey.It's known as pareidolia: Pareidolia - Wikipedia
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Mike Allen

Imports of Oak trees from Europe is being clamped.

The woods around here are being raided, tis been going on for the last few years, we need wood pellets for the power stations :th scifD36: as the wood is tax free and you get sub's to replant a good way of...
    The woods around here are being raided, tis been going on for the last few years, we need wood pellets for the power stations :th scifD36: as the wood is tax free and you get sub's to replant a good way of making money funny thing is it's the middle of the wood that gets cleared and they leave a few...
    The woods around here are being raided, tis been going on for the last few years, we need wood pellets for the power stations :th scifD36: as the wood is tax free and you get sub's to replant a good way of making money funny thing is it's the middle of the...
    The woods around here are being raided, tis been going on for the last few years, we need wood pellets for the power stations :th scifD36: as the wood is tax free and you get sub's to replant a good way of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Zigs

Ancient Westcountry art of Degirting

"West Country" is the old name of Japan used by the brave Welsh sailors who were looking for the spice trail but happened to miss a continent or two and landed in Japan. Columbus also had a nice...
    "West Country" is the old name of Japan used by the brave Welsh sailors who were looking for the spice trail but happened to miss a continent or two and landed in Japan. Columbus also had a nice try with his West India. :heehee:
    "West Country" is the old name of Japan used by the brave Welsh sailors who were looking for the spice trail but happened to miss a continent or two and landed in Japan. Columbus also had a nice try with his West India. :heehee:
    "West Country" is the old name of Japan used by the brave Welsh sailors who were looking for the spice trail but happened to miss a continent or two and landed in Japan. Columbus also had a nice...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Scrungee

Horse Chestnut leaf miner moth

My local Royal Park, Greenwich. Has an avenue along the outside of the flower gardens. This avenue is home to many very ancient Sweet Chestnut trees. These grand old ladies have sadly become...
    My local Royal Park, Greenwich. Has an avenue along the outside of the flower gardens. This avenue is home to many very ancient Sweet Chestnut trees. These grand old ladies have sadly become victims of 20/21st century pests and diseases. This beautiful island that is our home, once covered...
    My local Royal Park, Greenwich. Has an avenue along the outside of the flower gardens. This avenue is home to many very ancient Sweet Chestnut trees. These grand old ladies have sadly become victims of 20/21st century pests and diseases. This...
    My local Royal Park, Greenwich. Has an avenue along the outside of the flower gardens. This avenue is home to many very ancient Sweet Chestnut trees. These grand old ladies have sadly become...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Scrungee

Looks like a terrible 2018 apple crop

Some folks Bramleys may not be ripe, but ours are. We picked about 80 pounds of them today and they just fell off the tree as they should when ready. Worrying thing is that some of the supposedly...
    Some folks Bramleys may not be ripe, but ours are. We picked about 80 pounds of them today and they just fell off the tree as they should when ready. Worrying thing is that some of the supposedly later ripening ones are ready too. Tried a Queen Cox just and it came away from the tree no problem,...
    Some folks Bramleys may not be ripe, but ours are. We picked about 80 pounds of them today and they just fell off the tree as they should when ready. Worrying thing is that some of the supposedly later ripening ones are ready too. Tried a Queen...
    Some folks Bramleys may not be ripe, but ours are. We picked about 80 pounds of them today and they just fell off the tree as they should when ready. Worrying thing is that some of the supposedly...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Marley Farley

Just given my Liriodendron (Tulip) tree a massive hair cut..

Oops sorry Pete this will be my first time. Stratify for 60-90 days to start is what they say so I will let you know at a later date ;):biggrin:
    Oops sorry Pete this will be my first time. Stratify for 60-90 days to start is what they say so I will let you know at a later date ;):biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options