1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Harmony Arb
    Like x 3

The Importance Of Proper Pruning Of Trees

Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Harmony Arb
    Like x 5

Tree Health Diagnosis - A self help guide

Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!! The trees have been planted in the garden since...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!!...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Harmony Arb

The Importance of Tree Roots

When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had...
    When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had been well and truly soaked. This meant having the hose on all night, which had a adverse affect to...
    When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had been well and truly soaked. This meant having the...
    When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Harmony Arb

The Importance Of Tree Ecosystems

:wink::hehe: They are right I am afraid Harmony... :hehe:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Markymark

To prune or not to prune...

Thanks for that! How big do you think it will grow? I love it...even though it's getting harder and harder to reach the top to prune...
    Thanks for that! How big do you think it will grow? I love it...even though it's getting harder and harder to reach the top to prune...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. DeckerZ

Citrus Tree Advice

Hi Noisette47,Thank you for your time and detailed reply. I will take your advice and repot the tree with correct soil mixtures. I want it to grow and though it might have needed a bigger pot. I...
    Hi Noisette47,Thank you for your time and detailed reply. I will take your advice and repot the tree with correct soil mixtures. I want it to grow and though it might have needed a bigger pot. I just wasn't sure about soil mixtures. Think I will go for a ready made one though.
    Hi Noisette47,Thank you for your time and detailed reply. I will take your advice and repot the tree with correct soil mixtures. I want it to grow and though it might have needed a bigger pot. I just wasn't sure about soil mixtures. Think I...
    Hi Noisette47,Thank you for your time and detailed reply. I will take your advice and repot the tree with correct soil mixtures. I want it to grow and though it might have needed a bigger pot. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. kindredspirit

Here's a mystery (to me, anyway.)

Just seen your last post @kindredspirit :)Well found out :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. David E Peacock

Corkscrew Hazel ( Corylus avellana 'Contorta')

We trim the suckers as close to the trunk as possible and have at least twenty each year. The lower branches have been taken off up to a height of about 4ft but the higher branches droop down a...
    We trim the suckers as close to the trunk as possible and have at least twenty each year. The lower branches have been taken off up to a height of about 4ft but the higher branches droop down a bit so it doesn't look quite that much.The bed underneath is completely full of flowers...
    We trim the suckers as close to the trunk as possible and have at least twenty each year. The lower branches have been taken off up to a height of about 4ft but the higher branches droop down a bit so it doesn't look quite that much.The...
    We trim the suckers as close to the trunk as possible and have at least twenty each year. The lower branches have been taken off up to a height of about 4ft but the higher branches droop down a...
    P1300555.JPG P1300556.JPG P1290108.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. clanless

To rootball or not?

Hi All,I'm looking to add another length of cherry laurel in the front garden, install a tasteful arch up the path, and enclose the currently open side with cherry laurels.Had a look the...
    Hi All,I'm looking to add another length of cherry laurel in the front garden, install a tasteful arch up the path, and enclose the currently open side with cherry laurels.Had a look the supplier I've used before and am sorely tempted to purchase some rootball laurels - they are cheaper and...
    Hi All,I'm looking to add another length of cherry laurel in the front garden, install a tasteful arch up the path, and enclose the currently open side with cherry laurels.Had a look the supplier I've used before and am sorely tempted to...
    Hi All,I'm looking to add another length of cherry laurel in the front garden, install a tasteful arch up the path, and enclose the currently open side with cherry laurels.Had a look the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Beddo

Fungi on plum tree - had it?

I still think that if they are seedling trees they are unlikely to bear fruit that will be anything like an actual named plum variety, but who knows one or two might turn out OK.That type of...
    I still think that if they are seedling trees they are unlikely to bear fruit that will be anything like an actual named plum variety, but who knows one or two might turn out OK.That type of fungus often only attacks dead wood, I dont see it as a killer myself,(might be wrong), I've got...
    I still think that if they are seedling trees they are unlikely to bear fruit that will be anything like an actual named plum variety, but who knows one or two might turn out OK.That type of fungus often only attacks dead wood, I dont see it as...
    I still think that if they are seedling trees they are unlikely to bear fruit that will be anything like an actual named plum variety, but who knows one or two might turn out OK.That type of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. madon37s

Willow tree, is it ok?

I'm convinced the tree is alive, but I cant think of any way a weeping willow can turn into a normal upright growing willow with out a plant being cut below a graft, or at least the graft dieing...
    I'm convinced the tree is alive, but I cant think of any way a weeping willow can turn into a normal upright growing willow with out a plant being cut below a graft, or at least the graft dieing and the rootstock taking over.Any grafting would have been done years ago before the tree was planted.
    I'm convinced the tree is alive, but I cant think of any way a weeping willow can turn into a normal upright growing willow with out a plant being cut below a graft, or at least the graft dieing and the rootstock taking over.Any grafting would...
    I'm convinced the tree is alive, but I cant think of any way a weeping willow can turn into a normal upright growing willow with out a plant being cut below a graft, or at least the graft dieing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. dsburny

Advice on planting new hedge

Red Robin is easy to grow but there are a few negatives, mainly about the conditions it is planted in.It doesn't like shade but I don't think you will have that problem from your...
    Red Robin is easy to grow but there are a few negatives, mainly about the conditions it is planted in.It doesn't like shade but I don't think you will have that problem from your explanation.Although hardy it isn't keen on cold windy areas so you need to bear that in mind. Also, you should...
    Red Robin is easy to grow but there are a few negatives, mainly about the conditions it is planted in.It doesn't like shade but I don't think you will have that problem from your explanation.Although hardy it isn't keen on cold windy areas...
    Red Robin is easy to grow but there are a few negatives, mainly about the conditions it is planted in.It doesn't like shade but I don't think you will have that problem from your...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Lady_Gardener

Prunus rusty red leaved Cherry tree NOT losing leaves

The Cherries were very dark, a purple red really, its definitely not a crab apple tree
    The Cherries were very dark, a purple red really, its definitely not a crab apple tree
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Sheal

Pin Oak tree

Yes, I was only there a couple of days, but it was one of the cleanest nicest looking cities I've seen. The surrounding area, countryside is pretty amazing. Just didn't get to see much of it.
    Yes, I was only there a couple of days, but it was one of the cleanest nicest looking cities I've seen. The surrounding area, countryside is pretty amazing. Just didn't get to see much of it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Linz

native trees and more trees?!

can speak a few sentences, can read it it quite well mind. No badgers here sadly..I've had a few moles off the cats though!
    can speak a few sentences, can read it it quite well mind. No badgers here sadly..I've had a few moles off the cats though!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Portisgrass

My leaves have fallen off :(

Yes, and no, Pg!!:dunno::snorky: I'm not a fan of keeping shrubs or Trees in pots, but that's because, in my opinion, the compost in the pot loses all it's nutrients and even adding feed is only a temporary...
    Yes, and no, Pg!!:dunno::snorky: I'm not a fan of keeping shrubs or Trees in pots, but that's because, in my opinion, the compost in the pot loses all it's nutrients and even adding feed is only a temporary measure that, in reality, most people don't remember to do.:doh:.........and,of course, it all depends how...
    Yes, and no, Pg!!:dunno::snorky: I'm not a fan of keeping shrubs or Trees in pots, but that's because, in my opinion, the compost in the pot loses all it's nutrients and even adding feed is only a temporary measure that, in reality, most people don't remember...
    Yes, and no, Pg!!:dunno::snorky: I'm not a fan of keeping shrubs or Trees in pots, but that's because, in my opinion, the compost in the pot loses all it's nutrients and even adding feed is only a temporary...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Voobwm

Leylandii tips going brown after trim

My experience with the them is unless you cut back (width) from an early age so that you can keep them green and `slim` then they end up a major problem. Mines got too wide but managed to trim...
    My experience with the them is unless you cut back (width) from an early age so that you can keep them green and `slim` then they end up a major problem. Mines got too wide but managed to trim back just short off the brown wood and they always recovered but looked awful for a while. Thankfully...
    My experience with the them is unless you cut back (width) from an early age so that you can keep them green and `slim` then they end up a major problem. Mines got too wide but managed to trim back just short off the brown wood and they always...
    My experience with the them is unless you cut back (width) from an early age so that you can keep them green and `slim` then they end up a major problem. Mines got too wide but managed to trim...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Scudo

Identify tree

Definitely A.brilliantissima.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. stumorphmac

Liroendron

Look at the Autumn colour on them as well! (pic off the net)
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. laurence peddle

How do I protect new planted conifers against wind damage?

No need to do that. Use cable ties and link them together like a chain. That gives plenty adjustment if needed also.
    No need to do that. Use cable ties and link them together like a chain. That gives plenty adjustment if needed also.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. laurence peddle

What to do if root ball of conifer too big to be planted at right depth

Hi Wee Tam, I did mound them a bit, but the stony clay subsoil seems free-draining as far as i can tell by emptying a bucket of water into the hole. Hi JWK, It worries me, too, but the...
    Hi Wee Tam, I did mound them a bit, but the stony clay subsoil seems free-draining as far as i can tell by emptying a bucket of water into the hole. Hi JWK, It worries me, too, but the subsoil seems to be free-draining. I'll upload a photo of the planted trees with this post. Cheers, Laurence
    Hi Wee Tam, I did mound them a bit, but the stony clay subsoil seems free-draining as far as i can tell by emptying a bucket of water into the hole. Hi JWK, It worries me, too, but the subsoil seems to be free-draining. I'll upload a photo...
    Hi Wee Tam, I did mound them a bit, but the stony clay subsoil seems free-draining as far as i can tell by emptying a bucket of water into the hole. Hi JWK, It worries me, too, but the...
    039.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. barryman

Bonsai help needed

Not really into bonsai, but my thoughts are waiting till next spring would be best.I'd stratify them naturally over the winter, ie. pot up and put in a cold greenhouse or porch, keep the pots...
    Not really into bonsai, but my thoughts are waiting till next spring would be best.I'd stratify them naturally over the winter, ie. pot up and put in a cold greenhouse or porch, keep the pots damp but not over wet, they will then germinate naturally next spring as the temperature rises. Growth...
    Not really into bonsai, but my thoughts are waiting till next spring would be best.I'd stratify them naturally over the winter, ie. pot up and put in a cold greenhouse or porch, keep the pots damp but not over wet, they will then germinate...
    Not really into bonsai, but my thoughts are waiting till next spring would be best.I'd stratify them naturally over the winter, ie. pot up and put in a cold greenhouse or porch, keep the pots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Katherine

Help! Desperate to identify this beautiful tree

May we have a better image of the foliage, please, Katherine? Welcome to the site by the way.
    May we have a better image of the foliage, please, Katherine? Welcome to the site by the way.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. pamsdish

Pruning Cherry Tree

I think the best time to do it is mid summer so the the wounds dont allow silver leaf disease in which slowly kills the tree. Ive done one this summer with another to do next summer.hard trees to...
    I think the best time to do it is mid summer so the the wounds dont allow silver leaf disease in which slowly kills the tree. Ive done one this summer with another to do next summer.hard trees to shape.
    I think the best time to do it is mid summer so the the wounds dont allow silver leaf disease in which slowly kills the tree. Ive done one this summer with another to do next summer.hard trees to shape.
    I think the best time to do it is mid summer so the the wounds dont allow silver leaf disease in which slowly kills the tree. Ive done one this summer with another to do next summer.hard trees to...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options