1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Harmony Arb

The Importance of Tree Roots

Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful when planning gardens if we knew whether a tree is tap-rooted or not, as some species are while...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful when planning gardens if we knew whether a tree is...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Harmony Arb
    Like x 3

The Importance Of Proper Pruning Of Trees

Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Harmony Arb
    Like x 7

Tree Health Diagnosis - A self help guide

Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!! The trees have been planted in the garden since...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!!...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Harmony Arb

The Importance Of Tree Ecosystems

:wink::hehe: They are right I am afraid Harmony... :hehe:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. karaman

Which is a sweet cherry?

magic! lots to think about, thanks to all -- tending towards a sunburst fan but have to sleep on it...thanks again to everyone, its so good to get lots of opinions. cheers, karaman
    magic! lots to think about, thanks to all -- tending towards a sunburst fan but have to sleep on it...thanks again to everyone, its so good to get lots of opinions. cheers, karaman
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Victoria
    Like x 7

Spectacular Oak

Thank you Woo. xx I am 'contemplating painting again, perhaps in the New Year as I am busy with crochet at the moment. Maybe I will attempt that spectacular tree. :whistle:
    Thank you Woo. xx I am 'contemplating painting again, perhaps in the New Year as I am busy with crochet at the moment. Maybe I will attempt that spectacular tree. :whistle:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. hedgefog

Moving an Apple Tree

hi allWe have an apple tree about 8-9 years old. It is at the corner of the garden surrounded by other plants like connifers, box trees and ferns. It was ok when it was a young tree thin and...
    hi allWe have an apple tree about 8-9 years old. It is at the corner of the garden surrounded by other plants like connifers, box trees and ferns. It was ok when it was a young tree thin and short, but now it has grown to about 15 ft from ground. It is growing fast, and look a bit crowded in...
    hi allWe have an apple tree about 8-9 years old. It is at the corner of the garden surrounded by other plants like connifers, box trees and ferns. It was ok when it was a young tree thin and short, but now it has grown to about 15 ft from...
    hi allWe have an apple tree about 8-9 years old. It is at the corner of the garden surrounded by other plants like connifers, box trees and ferns. It was ok when it was a young tree thin and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Paul Blackburn

Solanum Tree Blown Over

Paul, how about two stakes - one either side and attach some wire trellis (wouldn`t cost too much) between for your solanum to grow on to - even if the wire trellis was in front of the plant, it...
    Paul, how about two stakes - one either side and attach some wire trellis (wouldn`t cost too much) between for your solanum to grow on to - even if the wire trellis was in front of the plant, it would give it some support :)
    Paul, how about two stakes - one either side and attach some wire trellis (wouldn`t cost too much) between for your solanum to grow on to - even if the wire trellis was in front of the plant, it would give it some support :)
    Paul, how about two stakes - one either side and attach some wire trellis (wouldn`t cost too much) between for your solanum to grow on to - even if the wire trellis was in front of the plant, it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. crocus
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Zigs

Sperm

Yeah, they get everywhere these days. Be glad when we get brexit sorted, that'le stop em.:biggrin:
    Yeah, they get everywhere these days. Be glad when we get brexit sorted, that'le stop em.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Mel

tree fern

Really good to know, Pete. I have been spraying them daily. The temp at my windowsill is 10degrees. The room was 14 degrees this morning. I'll spray them several times a day from now on. Thanks
    Really good to know, Pete. I have been spraying them daily. The temp at my windowsill is 10degrees. The room was 14 degrees this morning. I'll spray them several times a day from now on. Thanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. hedgefog

Is this Birch tree dead?

Truly such a beautiful looking tree. Everything about it says. Look at me. It's often whispery branches against a dramatic sky, to the poet or artist, who could ask for more. Sadly despite...
    Truly such a beautiful looking tree. Everything about it says. Look at me. It's often whispery branches against a dramatic sky, to the poet or artist, who could ask for more. Sadly despite all it's attributes it remains so often a short lived tree. Strange really, as if you check out the...
    Truly such a beautiful looking tree. Everything about it says. Look at me. It's often whispery branches against a dramatic sky, to the poet or artist, who could ask for more. Sadly despite all it's attributes it remains so often a short...
    Truly such a beautiful looking tree. Everything about it says. Look at me. It's often whispery branches against a dramatic sky, to the poet or artist, who could ask for more. Sadly despite...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. TheMadHedger

Apple tree uprooted

Surely it could be winched back up and then supported in position
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. HarryS

Stump Grinding + Returf ?

Just had the conifers removed and the stumps ground down before we went on holiday . As you say the stump grinding is a brutal process . It basically batters the stumps into hundreds of pieces. As...
    Just had the conifers removed and the stumps ground down before we went on holiday . As you say the stump grinding is a brutal process . It basically batters the stumps into hundreds of pieces. As soon as the tree surgeon saw the conifers , he said red spider mites was the problem . We have seen...
    Just had the conifers removed and the stumps ground down before we went on holiday . As you say the stump grinding is a brutal process . It basically batters the stumps into hundreds of pieces. As soon as the tree surgeon saw the conifers , he...
    Just had the conifers removed and the stumps ground down before we went on holiday . As you say the stump grinding is a brutal process . It basically batters the stumps into hundreds of pieces. As...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. p.a.t.r.i.c.k

Can you tell me what kind of tree this is please?

Sadly I cannot tell from your photo It would be good if we could have a close up of the leaves so we can see in detail the size shape etc of the leaves also growing habit.. is it a predominately...
    Sadly I cannot tell from your photo It would be good if we could have a close up of the leaves so we can see in detail the size shape etc of the leaves also growing habit.. is it a predominately weeping or does the tree have upright growth but because of growing conditions, the branches look...
    Sadly I cannot tell from your photo It would be good if we could have a close up of the leaves so we can see in detail the size shape etc of the leaves also growing habit.. is it a predominately weeping or does the tree have upright growth but...
    Sadly I cannot tell from your photo It would be good if we could have a close up of the leaves so we can see in detail the size shape etc of the leaves also growing habit.. is it a predominately...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Paul Blackburn

Can someone tell me the names of these plants

I agree whole heartedly that you can’t beat plant knowledge and I would love to instantly recognise plants, however I’m a complete garden novice so I intend to use the app to ID plants I like to...
    I agree whole heartedly that you can’t beat plant knowledge and I would love to instantly recognise plants, however I’m a complete garden novice so I intend to use the app to ID plants I like to see if they will work in my garden and also to slowly build up my knowledge of plants etc
    I agree whole heartedly that you can’t beat plant knowledge and I would love to instantly recognise plants, however I’m a complete garden novice so I intend to use the app to ID plants I like to see if they will work in my garden and also to...
    I agree whole heartedly that you can’t beat plant knowledge and I would love to instantly recognise plants, however I’m a complete garden novice so I intend to use the app to ID plants I like to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Oogle The Poogle

Pruning a new ginko

My guess would be it would be OK to do it now. Or a bit later if you prefer. Just wouldn't do it after January.
    My guess would be it would be OK to do it now. Or a bit later if you prefer. Just wouldn't do it after January.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. samtialou

Conifer advice

Phytophthora is common these days and increasingly responsible for the death of many trees, conifers and even shrubs. It can be slow or very quick With conifers, in my experience, phytophthora...
    Phytophthora is common these days and increasingly responsible for the death of many trees, conifers and even shrubs. It can be slow or very quick With conifers, in my experience, phytophthora can make their removal much easier as often the roots are damaged and less resistant.However,...
    Phytophthora is common these days and increasingly responsible for the death of many trees, conifers and even shrubs. It can be slow or very quick With conifers, in my experience, phytophthora can make their removal much easier as often the...
    Phytophthora is common these days and increasingly responsible for the death of many trees, conifers and even shrubs. It can be slow or very quick With conifers, in my experience, phytophthora...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Chris1953

Stag Horn Tree

Usually in my experience, if the leaves fall naturally, the plant is still alive. If they shrivel and stay attached the wood is dead.
    Usually in my experience, if the leaves fall naturally, the plant is still alive. If they shrivel and stay attached the wood is dead.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Ariadae

Pruning a 10 foot tall bay tree

Me! Me! Me! :snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. samtialou

Grafted wisteria tree

Got to agree with @Sian in Belgium the support will never take the weight of a wisteria. The archway you show would be much better.
    Got to agree with @Sian in Belgium the support will never take the weight of a wisteria. The archway you show would be much better.
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Bfm

Ash tree removal

Thanks very much everyone. Much appreciated
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. BassFisher

Acer, can I move it?

You can cut half the roots back now. I'd not like to comment regarding the pruning, sounds a bit drastic to me, but some pruning would be good before the move.
    You can cut half the roots back now. I'd not like to comment regarding the pruning, sounds a bit drastic to me, but some pruning would be good before the move.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. roders
    Funny x 5

How do new oak trees happen.

I've always understood that it's a leftover from our original hunter-gatherer lifestyle - always on the lookout for potential enemies or prey.It's known as pareidolia: Pareidolia - Wikipedia
    I've always understood that it's a leftover from our original hunter-gatherer lifestyle - always on the lookout for potential enemies or prey.It's known as pareidolia: Pareidolia - Wikipedia
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options