1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Harmony Arb
    Like x 3

The Importance Of Proper Pruning Of Trees

Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Harmony Arb
    Like x 6

Tree Health Diagnosis - A self help guide

Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!! The trees have been planted in the garden since...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!!...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Harmony Arb

The Importance of Tree Roots

When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had...
    When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had been well and truly soaked. This meant having the hose on all night, which had a adverse affect to...
    When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had been well and truly soaked. This meant having the...
    When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Harmony Arb

The Importance Of Tree Ecosystems

:wink::hehe: They are right I am afraid Harmony... :hehe:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. sweetiex

Red areas on cherry tree

Perfectly normal ....they are extra floral nectaries..cherry extrafloral nectaries - Google SearchExtrafloral Nectaries and ETC
    Perfectly normal ....they are extra floral nectaries..cherry extrafloral nectaries - Google SearchExtrafloral Nectaries and ETC
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. sweetiex

White leaves

Good evening @wiseowl is there anything I can do to help the tree we are beginner's in the gardening world so not got a clue :scratch:
    Good evening @wiseowl is there anything I can do to help the tree we are beginner's in the gardening world so not got a clue :scratch:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Franco50

Anyone identify this tree please?

Sorry folks.... but I am not sure that the leaf shape is right for Hazel...Corylus avellana.Franco50 Please could you add a clear pic to show a leaf close up.
    Sorry folks.... but I am not sure that the leaf shape is right for Hazel...Corylus avellana.Franco50 Please could you add a clear pic to show a leaf close up.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Reggie3

Young Hawthorn tree

It may also be trying to grow away from the fence towards the light in addition to previous posts.
    It may also be trying to grow away from the fence towards the light in addition to previous posts.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. TheMadHedger

Cherry tree - leaves turning brown

Thanks very much, the trees have indeed managed to create their own damp, shaded area (which is also partly "helped" by a hedge on one side). I'll get to work pruning them as you suggest in...
    Thanks very much, the trees have indeed managed to create their own damp, shaded area (which is also partly "helped" by a hedge on one side). I'll get to work pruning them as you suggest in July/August.
    Thanks very much, the trees have indeed managed to create their own damp, shaded area (which is also partly "helped" by a hedge on one side). I'll get to work pruning them as you suggest in July/August.
    Thanks very much, the trees have indeed managed to create their own damp, shaded area (which is also partly "helped" by a hedge on one side). I'll get to work pruning them as you suggest in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. TheMadHedger

Ivy and trees

Thanks very much, all points duly noted.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Ian Taylor

Olive trees

I have 2 olive trees both in pots planted at the same time, 1 is doing great but the other as hardly any leaves on it, they are on our deck south westerly facing so do get a lot of sun. Any ideas ???
    I have 2 olive trees both in pots planted at the same time, 1 is doing great but the other as hardly any leaves on it, they are on our deck south westerly facing so do get a lot of sun. Any ideas ???
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. wiseowl

My Rowan Tree

I agree with this; I've never had success with trying to grow Rowan on my clay.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. OxfordNick

Another cherry tree question !

It looks OK, OxfordNick. It's a proper standard with a clear stem. You could take out the leader above the first whorl of branches, and shorten the longer branches, but do it in the summer during...
    It looks OK, OxfordNick. It's a proper standard with a clear stem. You could take out the leader above the first whorl of branches, and shorten the longer branches, but do it in the summer during a good long spell of dry weather.
    It looks OK, OxfordNick. It's a proper standard with a clear stem. You could take out the leader above the first whorl of branches, and shorten the longer branches, but do it in the summer during a good long spell of dry weather.
    It looks OK, OxfordNick. It's a proper standard with a clear stem. You could take out the leader above the first whorl of branches, and shorten the longer branches, but do it in the summer during...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Scudo

Apple tree leaf wilting

It produced 2 apples last year :-(If nothing else should I pick off the affected leaves?
    It produced 2 apples last year :-(If nothing else should I pick off the affected leaves?
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Heucherella

Recommendations for a flowering cherry

I had forgotten mine! Agree with Farley it's a real elegant beauty & flowers before lots of others. Mine is usually here at the beginning of March.
    I had forgotten mine! Agree with Farley it's a real elegant beauty & flowers before lots of others. Mine is usually here at the beginning of March.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Scudo
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Ivan Opinion

Cherry tree on strike? or at death's door?

Thanks. Looks like I need to start thinking about chopping it down and replacing it.Actually, in my case it might be honey fungus. I do seem to remember there was an outcrop of mushrooms at the...
    Thanks. Looks like I need to start thinking about chopping it down and replacing it.Actually, in my case it might be honey fungus. I do seem to remember there was an outcrop of mushrooms at the base a year or two ago. I'll investigate for the white fungus.
    Thanks. Looks like I need to start thinking about chopping it down and replacing it.Actually, in my case it might be honey fungus. I do seem to remember there was an outcrop of mushrooms at the base a year or two ago. I'll investigate for the...
    Thanks. Looks like I need to start thinking about chopping it down and replacing it.Actually, in my case it might be honey fungus. I do seem to remember there was an outcrop of mushrooms at the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Gavin Bell

Cherry tree

SQUARE YARD!? Whats that in English?:snorky: I put the hose on it for awhile, got a box of bone meal, used it all up and raked the soil over. We will see what happens. Cheers
    SQUARE YARD!? Whats that in English?:snorky: I put the hose on it for awhile, got a box of bone meal, used it all up and raked the soil over. We will see what happens. Cheers
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Rachel hughes

Japanese maple trees

Over potting anything is not good. Putting small plants in large pots is a recipe for disaster. Far better to pot on as plants grow so I agree with dinp here :) Protection from the strongest sun...
    Over potting anything is not good. Putting small plants in large pots is a recipe for disaster. Far better to pot on as plants grow so I agree with dinp here :) Protection from the strongest sun and winds is vital........taller plants on the exposed sides will enable acers to grow so much better....
    Over potting anything is not good. Putting small plants in large pots is a recipe for disaster. Far better to pot on as plants grow so I agree with dinp here :) Protection from the strongest sun and winds is vital........taller plants on the...
    Over potting anything is not good. Putting small plants in large pots is a recipe for disaster. Far better to pot on as plants grow so I agree with dinp here :) Protection from the strongest sun...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. dinp

Bay Tree in pot.

Thank you all for the useful tips.I got the tree out eventually, using an old knife, then a saw to add some power while cutting the roots around the rim, a couple of inches in. It was some...
    Thank you all for the useful tips.I got the tree out eventually, using an old knife, then a saw to add some power while cutting the roots around the rim, a couple of inches in. It was some work. The whole container was full of roots. About a third were discarded, which enabled new compost to...
    Thank you all for the useful tips.I got the tree out eventually, using an old knife, then a saw to add some power while cutting the roots around the rim, a couple of inches in. It was some work. The whole container was full of roots. About a...
    Thank you all for the useful tips.I got the tree out eventually, using an old knife, then a saw to add some power while cutting the roots around the rim, a couple of inches in. It was some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. HowardM

Box hedge nursery

Hello, I am seeking advise about the 50 6" high box hedge plants I bought. I have created a nursery area to get them to a decent size before being planted in their final place. I dont want to put...
    Hello, I am seeking advise about the 50 6" high box hedge plants I bought. I have created a nursery area to get them to a decent size before being planted in their final place. I dont want to put them in pots because they would need watering. Are those Root control bags a good idea to aid...
    Hello, I am seeking advise about the 50 6" high box hedge plants I bought. I have created a nursery area to get them to a decent size before being planted in their final place. I dont want to put them in pots because they would need watering. Are...
    Hello, I am seeking advise about the 50 6" high box hedge plants I bought. I have created a nursery area to get them to a decent size before being planted in their final place. I dont want to put...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Clare G

What can I do with holly leaves?

They make a handy cushion stuffing to give to people you don't like :spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Ariadae

Tree preservation order

Looks like a Western red Cedar to me, for sure. TPOs are usually placed on tree with historical, cultural, financial or amenity (inc. landcape / treescape) value. Contacting the tree officer would...
    Looks like a Western red Cedar to me, for sure. TPOs are usually placed on tree with historical, cultural, financial or amenity (inc. landcape / treescape) value. Contacting the tree officer would be your best bet for finding out why this tree has been chosen.
    Looks like a Western red Cedar to me, for sure. TPOs are usually placed on tree with historical, cultural, financial or amenity (inc. landcape / treescape) value. Contacting the tree officer would be your best bet for finding out why this tree...
    Looks like a Western red Cedar to me, for sure. TPOs are usually placed on tree with historical, cultural, financial or amenity (inc. landcape / treescape) value. Contacting the tree officer would...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. dinp

Japanese Maples

Thank you all. Much appreciated.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options