1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Harmony Arb

The Importance of Tree Roots

Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful when planning gardens if we knew whether a tree is tap-rooted or not, as some species are while...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful when planning gardens if we knew whether a tree is...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Harmony Arb
    Like x 3

The Importance Of Proper Pruning Of Trees

Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Harmony Arb
    Like x 7

Tree Health Diagnosis - A self help guide

Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!! The trees have been planted in the garden since...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!!...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Harmony Arb

The Importance Of Tree Ecosystems

:wink::hehe: They are right I am afraid Harmony... :hehe:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Fat Controller

Bay Tree

I bought one and had it for years and kept it in a big pot. When we had a really bad winter a few years ago it died :cry3: I have often thought about buying another one but they can be expensive.
    I bought one and had it for years and kept it in a big pot. When we had a really bad winter a few years ago it died :cry3: I have often thought about buying another one but they can be expensive.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Palomitablanca

Ash trees seeding and taking over our local gardens

Given the tricky situation, I'd paint it with SBK as suggested above.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. crocus

only green berries on my holly tree every year

It is a bit too early to expect those berries to turn red, it is only just into August :scratch:
    It is a bit too early to expect those berries to turn red, it is only just into August :scratch:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Olives

Will olive tree survive tap root being cut?

We've an 11 year old potted olive grown from a cutting we took in Greece. I've repotted it twice and never noticed a tap root. Had lots of blossom this year and loads of olives. I've been thinning...
    We've an 11 year old potted olive grown from a cutting we took in Greece. I've repotted it twice and never noticed a tap root. Had lots of blossom this year and loads of olives. I've been thinning them in the hope of getting enough decent sized ones to preserve.
    We've an 11 year old potted olive grown from a cutting we took in Greece. I've repotted it twice and never noticed a tap root. Had lots of blossom this year and loads of olives. I've been thinning them in the hope of getting enough decent sized...
    We've an 11 year old potted olive grown from a cutting we took in Greece. I've repotted it twice and never noticed a tap root. Had lots of blossom this year and loads of olives. I've been thinning...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Carllennon

Removed Ivy from tree

You'll probably find the ivy starts to grow again at the base. If it does, spray it with glyphosate and if a thick 'branch' bore a hole and inject glyphosate.
    You'll probably find the ivy starts to grow again at the base. If it does, spray it with glyphosate and if a thick 'branch' bore a hole and inject glyphosate.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Concrete_Garden

Pruning a birch, advice required

Ive pruned a silver birch and its been fine. 40 year old tree,healthy,topped and thinned. The next spring it produced masses of new growth near to the trunk on all branches. This new growth...
    Ive pruned a silver birch and its been fine. 40 year old tree,healthy,topped and thinned. The next spring it produced masses of new growth near to the trunk on all branches. This new growth subsequently fell off leaving a more airy tree in good health. I would prune in late autumn as the sap is...
    Ive pruned a silver birch and its been fine. 40 year old tree,healthy,topped and thinned. The next spring it produced masses of new growth near to the trunk on all branches. This new growth subsequently fell off leaving a more airy tree in good...
    Ive pruned a silver birch and its been fine. 40 year old tree,healthy,topped and thinned. The next spring it produced masses of new growth near to the trunk on all branches. This new growth...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Weedling

Apple Tree Fire Blight?

From looking at the photo it does not look like fireblight but more of a stress fracture that a pathogen may have entered.do the leaves appear scorched? Apple trees do get to a certain age and...
    From looking at the photo it does not look like fireblight but more of a stress fracture that a pathogen may have entered.do the leaves appear scorched? Apple trees do get to a certain age and start dropping branches unless they are pruned to reduce end weight expecially with heavy crops so i...
    From looking at the photo it does not look like fireblight but more of a stress fracture that a pathogen may have entered.do the leaves appear scorched? Apple trees do get to a certain age and start dropping branches unless they are pruned to...
    From looking at the photo it does not look like fireblight but more of a stress fracture that a pathogen may have entered.do the leaves appear scorched? Apple trees do get to a certain age and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. luciusmaximus

Advice on this please

Might be worth checking that Hebe for scale insects as I've known an infestation of them cause dieback.
    Might be worth checking that Hebe for scale insects as I've known an infestation of them cause dieback.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Snorky85

Is this normal for a eucalyptus

Ficifolia, have you tried it outside in winter yet?
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Scrungee

Looks like a terrible 2018 apple crop

You'm bringing the mrs then :snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Nosivad

Stags Horn sappling

Hello @Nosivad I do as clare as recommended as there's many members who can help and I suggest this section.:)Other Plants
    Hello @Nosivad I do as clare as recommended as there's many members who can help and I suggest this section.:)Other Plants
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Gail_68

Cordyline Australis and Flowering

Hi @pete both my green cordyline are in great condition and roots still being removed :snorky:My Cordyline "Red star" went bone dry and the leaves, so took your advice and the stem was half chopped :whistle:
    Hi @pete both my green cordyline are in great condition and roots still being removed :snorky:My Cordyline "Red star" went bone dry and the leaves, so took your advice and the stem was half chopped :whistle:
    SDC15181.JPG SDC15185.JPG SDC15182.JPG SDC15186.JPG SDC15187.JPG 20180602_131504.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Portisgrass

Olive trees

Pot looks fine infact better than the ones mine are stuck in. As said above, a good feed maybe.Mine are in too small pots in knackered clay soil and looked dreadful. Plunge watered/fed and now...
    Pot looks fine infact better than the ones mine are stuck in. As said above, a good feed maybe.Mine are in too small pots in knackered clay soil and looked dreadful. Plunge watered/fed and now lush and full if flowers. Been nipping the growing tips too.
    Pot looks fine infact better than the ones mine are stuck in. As said above, a good feed maybe.Mine are in too small pots in knackered clay soil and looked dreadful. Plunge watered/fed and now lush and full if flowers. Been nipping the growing...
    Pot looks fine infact better than the ones mine are stuck in. As said above, a good feed maybe.Mine are in too small pots in knackered clay soil and looked dreadful. Plunge watered/fed and now...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Sherbet Lemon

I am Groot........

Yep I know what those are and they were disposed of. Just the other strange little clusters I'm curious about. I'll google fungus and lichen as I hadn't thought of those.
    Yep I know what those are and they were disposed of. Just the other strange little clusters I'm curious about. I'll google fungus and lichen as I hadn't thought of those.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. SteveQ

Tree Identification

That certainly looks like one of the Abies family @SteveQ , and we might get a better idea when it produces some cones. Maybe then you could post another photo?
    That certainly looks like one of the Abies family @SteveQ , and we might get a better idea when it produces some cones. Maybe then you could post another photo?
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. ashirus

What's this small tree and will it stay compact?

The tree in question is without doubt good ol Euonymus japonicus :)It won't get much bigger and is easily maintained with judicious pruning.
    The tree in question is without doubt good ol Euonymus japonicus :)It won't get much bigger and is easily maintained with judicious pruning.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Johnnie

Dead Apple tree

Thanks again for all your help. Tree has been cut down and am awaiting better half's instructions
    Thanks again for all your help. Tree has been cut down and am awaiting better half's instructions
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Kevin Mann

Which Acer do I have.

Assuming it's an Acer! Bought in poor condition at a garden center a few years back. Want to understand what type of Acer it is so that I can care for correctly
    Assuming it's an Acer! Bought in poor condition at a garden center a few years back. Want to understand what type of Acer it is so that I can care for correctly
    20180624_094014.jpg 20180624_094020.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Bob9

Whats eating my Nectarines

Your welcome mate and it's just a shame how you was looking forward to seeing the achievement of the fruit and it being destroyed before it's matured properly...:fingers crossed: crossed mate for next year :thumbsup:
    Your welcome mate and it's just a shame how you was looking forward to seeing the achievement of the fruit and it being destroyed before it's matured properly...:fingers crossed: crossed mate for next year :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. kazzawazza

Over-pruning a Lilac tree

The only holiday you and your hubby enjoy are your and :loll:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options