1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Congratulations to Sheal for winning the January Photo Competition!
    AND
    That also makes Sheal our first entry in the Champion of Champions thread for 2018!

February's Photo Competition is now open, with December's winner Canadian Lori choosing the theme - February: Bliss or Bleak?

The Recipes area of the forum continues to thrive, with a library of tasty recipes growing all the time - if you have any suggestions, please do join in with the Recipes Sub-Forum Discussion

Or, why not learn something from our very own resident CHEF!

Dismiss Notice

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Harmony Arb

The Importance of Tree Roots

Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful when planning gardens if we knew whether a tree is tap-rooted or not, as some species are while...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful when planning gardens if we knew whether a tree is...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Harmony Arb
    Like x 3

The Importance Of Proper Pruning Of Trees

Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Harmony Arb
    Like x 6

Tree Health Diagnosis - A self help guide

Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!! The trees have been planted in the garden since...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!!...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Harmony Arb

The Importance Of Tree Ecosystems

:wink::hehe: They are right I am afraid Harmony... :hehe:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Larches

Pruning advice needed (pear tree)

I dont think it makes a lot of difference larches.....main thing is to prune in the dormant season which in your area is now and prob into March. As you said, your local surgeon would agree with...
    I dont think it makes a lot of difference larches.....main thing is to prune in the dormant season which in your area is now and prob into March. As you said, your local surgeon would agree with Jan/Feb. The mid March timing will be fine, I'm really confident of that so dont beat yourself up...
    I dont think it makes a lot of difference larches.....main thing is to prune in the dormant season which in your area is now and prob into March. As you said, your local surgeon would agree with Jan/Feb. The mid March timing will be fine, I'm...
    I dont think it makes a lot of difference larches.....main thing is to prune in the dormant season which in your area is now and prob into March. As you said, your local surgeon would agree with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. thriftybri

pollination

:recliner: no worries mate thanks for info ill ponder it over
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. karaman

Mimosa tree - how do i propagate it?

@Doghouse Riley I've seen these on odd occasions in the garden centres and yes they do cost a fare bit of money but beautiful to look at :love30: and like yourself I've moved no end out of pots...two...
    @Doghouse Riley I've seen these on odd occasions in the garden centres and yes they do cost a fare bit of money but beautiful to look at :love30: and like yourself I've moved no end out of pots...two years ago I gave big ones away:)
    @Doghouse Riley I've seen these on odd occasions in the garden centres and yes they do cost a fare bit of money but beautiful to look at :love30: and like yourself I've moved no end out of pots...two years ago I gave big ones away:)
    @Doghouse Riley I've seen these on odd occasions in the garden centres and yes they do cost a fare bit of money but beautiful to look at :love30: and like yourself I've moved no end out of pots...two...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Irmemac

Cut to Here?

Thanks for checking, @Sandy Ground. Wouldn't want to get him the wrong kind!
    IMG_3316.JPG IMG_3315.JPG P1000924.JPG P1000931.JPG upload_2018-2-6_15-54-34.jpeg s-l1600.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. kazzawazza

Over-pruning a Lilac tree

Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Fat Controller

Patio Apple tree and dwarf plum

POSTED ON BEHALF OF @kazzawazzaHiWe bought a patio Apple tree last year that produces two types of Apple's. When and how do I prune it?We also bought a dwarf plum but last year it didn'...
    POSTED ON BEHALF OF @kazzawazzaHiWe bought a patio Apple tree last year that produces two types of Apple's. When and how do I prune it?We also bought a dwarf plum but last year it didn' fruit. How and when do I prune it and does a um self pollnate?Thank you.
    POSTED ON BEHALF OF @kazzawazzaHiWe bought a patio Apple tree last year that produces two types of Apple's. When and how do I prune it?We also bought a dwarf plum but last year it didn' fruit. How and when do I prune it and does a um self...
    POSTED ON BEHALF OF @kazzawazzaHiWe bought a patio Apple tree last year that produces two types of Apple's. When and how do I prune it?We also bought a dwarf plum but last year it didn'...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Denton Dave

Pruning an Apple tree that has bent for some reason

Looks like the weight of the fruit bent it. I wouldn't bother trying to straighten it, just cut it back by 2 thirds :)
    Looks like the weight of the fruit bent it. I wouldn't bother trying to straighten it, just cut it back by 2 thirds :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Tetters

Judi Dench.. My passion for trees

We watched this last evening and found it quiet educational and it is nice learning new stuff even at our age and also the fact that I love trees so much and not sure if you know but anyone can...
    We watched this last evening and found it quiet educational and it is nice learning new stuff even at our age and also the fact that I love trees so much and not sure if you know but anyone can buy parcels of woodland in the country so we could all be woodland owners if we had enough cash to buy...
    We watched this last evening and found it quiet educational and it is nice learning new stuff even at our age and also the fact that I love trees so much and not sure if you know but anyone can buy parcels of woodland in the country so we could...
    We watched this last evening and found it quiet educational and it is nice learning new stuff even at our age and also the fact that I love trees so much and not sure if you know but anyone can...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Zigs
    Like x 6

Little Tree

Thanks @Tetters . I'll keep an eye on it.G
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. silu

Very badly split Laburnum trunk

Thanks We do have a leaf blower. well needed with the number of huge trees we have:yikes:and we do have a very very long extension cable so not such a silly idea:). It's been dry but baltic here for the...
    Thanks We do have a leaf blower. well needed with the number of huge trees we have:yikes:and we do have a very very long extension cable so not such a silly idea:). It's been dry but baltic here for the last couple of weeks so stuff is pretty dry. I am hoping my friend is going to come armed with the...
    Thanks We do have a leaf blower. well needed with the number of huge trees we have:yikes:and we do have a very very long extension cable so not such a silly idea:). It's been dry but baltic here for the last couple of weeks so stuff is pretty dry. I am...
    Thanks We do have a leaf blower. well needed with the number of huge trees we have:yikes:and we do have a very very long extension cable so not such a silly idea:). It's been dry but baltic here for the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Jack Sparrow

Collecting leaves from public places

Today I got 2 more bags of leaves from a client of mine. They were destined for the tip so I offered my services. There are more bags if I want them. The main problem is where to store them....
    Today I got 2 more bags of leaves from a client of mine. They were destined for the tip so I offered my services. There are more bags if I want them. The main problem is where to store them.The idea is to turn the greenhouse 90' and use the space behind for storing compost bins etc....
    Today I got 2 more bags of leaves from a client of mine. They were destined for the tip so I offered my services. There are more bags if I want them. The main problem is where to store them.The idea is to turn the greenhouse 90' and use...
    Today I got 2 more bags of leaves from a client of mine. They were destined for the tip so I offered my services. There are more bags if I want them. The main problem is where to store them....
    20171122_112516.jpg DSCI0164.JPG P1290599.JPG P1290597.JPG 20171124_121641.jpg gimme.gif
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Mike77

Moving Trees

I do this too with much the same result from the helper.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Redwing

Old Olive Trees in Pots

Today I picked about 120 small olives from my two young trees, enough to fill a jam jar. I’m going to process them and hopefully they’ll be ready to eat by around Christmas.
    Today I picked about 120 small olives from my two young trees, enough to fill a jam jar. I’m going to process them and hopefully they’ll be ready to eat by around Christmas.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. redstar
    Like x 8

Man films a tree for a year.

Järvzoo is further away from Stockholm than that. Around 400km or say 4-5 hours driving. The one I mentioned is about a 1,5 hours drive from Copenhagen airport.
    Järvzoo is further away from Stockholm than that. Around 400km or say 4-5 hours driving. The one I mentioned is about a 1,5 hours drive from Copenhagen airport.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Smudgedhorizon

Disease on acer - please help!

@Smudgedhorizon, I'm really pleased your acer is developing normally. It looks nice and strong. You must be so relieved.Can I ask a bit about how you got yours to this stage? I would love an...
    @Smudgedhorizon, I'm really pleased your acer is developing normally. It looks nice and strong. You must be so relieved.Can I ask a bit about how you got yours to this stage? I would love an acer but have killed two, one in a pot and the other directly in the ground. I would like one potted,...
    @Smudgedhorizon, I'm really pleased your acer is developing normally. It looks nice and strong. You must be so relieved.Can I ask a bit about how you got yours to this stage? I would love an acer but have killed two, one in a pot and the other...
    @Smudgedhorizon, I'm really pleased your acer is developing normally. It looks nice and strong. You must be so relieved.Can I ask a bit about how you got yours to this stage? I would love an...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Zigs
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. nikirushka

Is this a birch?

Next question: how best to coppice it/keep it small? I let the last one grow tall and lost it. I don't want to lose this one and, it's planted next to a fence so I'm aiming for view-blocking...
    Next question: how best to coppice it/keep it small? I let the last one grow tall and lost it. I don't want to lose this one and, it's planted next to a fence so I'm aiming for view-blocking rather than height as such so I want about a 7-8ft height on it.
    Next question: how best to coppice it/keep it small? I let the last one grow tall and lost it. I don't want to lose this one and, it's planted next to a fence so I'm aiming for view-blocking rather than height as such so I want about a 7-8ft...
    Next question: how best to coppice it/keep it small? I let the last one grow tall and lost it. I don't want to lose this one and, it's planted next to a fence so I'm aiming for view-blocking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Jack Sparrow

Tree for small garden

I liked all of the three suggested by James Wong in the Guardian the other week. An amelanchier, a magnolia and a particularly spectacular liquidambar:...
    I liked all of the three suggested by James Wong in the Guardian the other week. An amelanchier, a magnolia and a particularly spectacular liquidambar: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/oct/01/the-three-best-trees-for-tiny-spaces
    I liked all of the three suggested by James Wong in the Guardian the other week. An amelanchier, a magnolia and a particularly spectacular liquidambar: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/oct/01/the-three-best-trees-for-tiny-spaces
    I liked all of the three suggested by James Wong in the Guardian the other week. An amelanchier, a magnolia and a particularly spectacular liquidambar:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. karaman

How to treat mulberry tree?

Hi karaman, pete - that explains why we only grow the black one! I saw something on TV recently about Tiptree jams, who still grow black mulberries. They claimed that the messy problem of picking...
    Hi karaman, pete - that explains why we only grow the black one! I saw something on TV recently about Tiptree jams, who still grow black mulberries. They claimed that the messy problem of picking the fruit gave rise to the expression 'caught red-handed'. At least the white one will not cause...
    Hi karaman, pete - that explains why we only grow the black one! I saw something on TV recently about Tiptree jams, who still grow black mulberries. They claimed that the messy problem of picking the fruit gave rise to the expression 'caught...
    Hi karaman, pete - that explains why we only grow the black one! I saw something on TV recently about Tiptree jams, who still grow black mulberries. They claimed that the messy problem of picking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. karaman

why is my gingko not growing?

Thanks, willco. karaman
    Thanks, willco. karaman
    Thanks, willco. karaman
    Thanks, willco. karaman
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options