All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

TREE HEALTH DIAGNOSIS - A SELF HELP GUIDE..

Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as much detail as possible to help in diagnosing any...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ROOTS..

The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant to the vitality and health of the tree. Also,...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky
    Like x 3

THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER PRUNING OF TREES..

The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as little as required in order to grow and produce...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ECOSYSTEMS..

Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to increase and more benefits of trees are being...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Tony

Olive tree

I would prune in April if outside. Although you will lose some flowers this year. Best not to prune at all if poss.
    I would prune in April if outside. Although you will lose some flowers this year. Best not to prune at all if poss.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Carole

small tree for a small garden

Hi CaroleMy crab apple is about three years old and about five and a half feet. I think they do grow bigger but take a while to do so. Thanks, Anna.
    Hi CaroleMy crab apple is about three years old and about five and a half feet. I think they do grow bigger but take a while to do so. Thanks, Anna.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. jeff

Problem tree

Hi JeffNotice you are in Cornwall, is the tree somewhere where it can be blasted by wind..even salt laden wind, it could be its in a bit of an exposed area, on the other hand is the other tree...
    Hi JeffNotice you are in Cornwall, is the tree somewhere where it can be blasted by wind..even salt laden wind, it could be its in a bit of an exposed area, on the other hand is the other tree nearby and unaffected? has it had chance to get established before winter and not lacked water? I...
    Hi JeffNotice you are in Cornwall, is the tree somewhere where it can be blasted by wind..even salt laden wind, it could be its in a bit of an exposed area, on the other hand is the other tree nearby and unaffected? has it had chance to get...
    Hi JeffNotice you are in Cornwall, is the tree somewhere where it can be blasted by wind..even salt laden wind, it could be its in a bit of an exposed area, on the other hand is the other tree...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. sarah

begginner question about trees

thanks pete,i will do that
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Lee

removing large shrubs/trees

If you can't get the roots out then this is a good idea. Ammonium sulphate in granular form (trade name Deep Root) will do the job but be careful only to apply it to the cut surface and then cover...
    If you can't get the roots out then this is a good idea. Ammonium sulphate in granular form (trade name Deep Root) will do the job but be careful only to apply it to the cut surface and then cover with a plastic carrier bag to keep the rain off.
    If you can't get the roots out then this is a good idea. Ammonium sulphate in granular form (trade name Deep Root) will do the job but be careful only to apply it to the cut surface and then cover with a plastic carrier bag to keep the rain off.
    If you can't get the roots out then this is a good idea. Ammonium sulphate in granular form (trade name Deep Root) will do the job but be careful only to apply it to the cut surface and then cover...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Dimples

Acorns to Oak trees

I should wait until its growing in spring, then nip the top out at the height you want and it will throw branches out from there
    I should wait until its growing in spring, then nip the top out at the height you want and it will throw branches out from there
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Cazzie

Dragon Tree

Hope for the best, wait and see if new shoots appear. I presume the plants got frosted, if so, it depends how badly. Put them outside by all means in the summer (even then if the plants are not...
    Hope for the best, wait and see if new shoots appear. I presume the plants got frosted, if so, it depends how badly. Put them outside by all means in the summer (even then if the plants are not used to bright sunlight, the leaves will burn) but not during the winter. One point of interest is...
    Hope for the best, wait and see if new shoots appear. I presume the plants got frosted, if so, it depends how badly. Put them outside by all means in the summer (even then if the plants are not used to bright sunlight, the leaves will burn) but...
    Hope for the best, wait and see if new shoots appear. I presume the plants got frosted, if so, it depends how badly. Put them outside by all means in the summer (even then if the plants are not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Cazzie

Dragon Tree

Im no expert but in guessing that you have lost the plants. The problem when you put house plants outside for fresh air is that the air can be too fresh especially at the start of March. Its the...
    Im no expert but in guessing that you have lost the plants. The problem when you put house plants outside for fresh air is that the air can be too fresh especially at the start of March. Its the difference in temperatures from warm to cold that is the main problem but the extra light intensity...
    Im no expert but in guessing that you have lost the plants. The problem when you put house plants outside for fresh air is that the air can be too fresh especially at the start of March. Its the difference in temperatures from warm to cold that...
    Im no expert but in guessing that you have lost the plants. The problem when you put house plants outside for fresh air is that the air can be too fresh especially at the start of March. Its the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. scousewelsh

Help / advice with fig tree

Well it could. But growth would probably not be taking place at the moment anyway, due to the time of the year. I reckon its probably pot bound, and next month a repot, a couple of inches bigger...
    Well it could. But growth would probably not be taking place at the moment anyway, due to the time of the year. I reckon its probably pot bound, and next month a repot, a couple of inches bigger would do it the world of good. Then after six weeks or so feed it regularly. You could prune any...
    Well it could. But growth would probably not be taking place at the moment anyway, due to the time of the year. I reckon its probably pot bound, and next month a repot, a couple of inches bigger would do it the world of good. Then after six...
    Well it could. But growth would probably not be taking place at the moment anyway, due to the time of the year. I reckon its probably pot bound, and next month a repot, a couple of inches bigger...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Carole

Tree sizes

How small is your garden and what final height are you looking for in your tree of choice. What else do you want your tree to do, smell, have good flowers, bark, autmun colour??? The more precise...
    How small is your garden and what final height are you looking for in your tree of choice. What else do you want your tree to do, smell, have good flowers, bark, autmun colour??? The more precise you are in your posting the more likely you will get good advice!
    How small is your garden and what final height are you looking for in your tree of choice. What else do you want your tree to do, smell, have good flowers, bark, autmun colour??? The more precise you are in your posting the more likely you will...
    How small is your garden and what final height are you looking for in your tree of choice. What else do you want your tree to do, smell, have good flowers, bark, autmun colour??? The more precise...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. medea

unwanted tree

What kind of tree was it? Deciduous or coniferous etc.If it was coniferous, if it was cut to ground level, it should not grow back. If it was deciduous, I would cut it as near ground level as...
    What kind of tree was it? Deciduous or coniferous etc.If it was coniferous, if it was cut to ground level, it should not grow back. If it was deciduous, I would cut it as near ground level as possible, drill some 10mm holes into the stump, and treat with Round-up or similar.Or, dig the stump...
    What kind of tree was it? Deciduous or coniferous etc.If it was coniferous, if it was cut to ground level, it should not grow back. If it was deciduous, I would cut it as near ground level as possible, drill some 10mm holes into the stump, and...
    What kind of tree was it? Deciduous or coniferous etc.If it was coniferous, if it was cut to ground level, it should not grow back. If it was deciduous, I would cut it as near ground level as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. sheila

Bay trees

Thanks for your advice I will try it
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Dimples

how to make an oak into a bonsai?

The most importaint part of making bonsai trees is root pruning in the early years. It looks at bit big already try pruning it top and bottom but if you have the patience, try planting an acorn in...
    The most importaint part of making bonsai trees is root pruning in the early years. It looks at bit big already try pruning it top and bottom but if you have the patience, try planting an acorn in a very small pot(2 inch?) in poor compost.
    The most importaint part of making bonsai trees is root pruning in the early years. It looks at bit big already try pruning it top and bottom but if you have the patience, try planting an acorn in a very small pot(2 inch?) in poor compost.
    The most importaint part of making bonsai trees is root pruning in the early years. It looks at bit big already try pruning it top and bottom but if you have the patience, try planting an acorn in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Gill

Old cherry tree

Many thanks for the advice. I'll give it some tlc once the birch has gone and see how it gets on. The birch is going as it is about 8ft from my neighbours gable end and has caused subsidence...
    Many thanks for the advice. I'll give it some tlc once the birch has gone and see how it gets on. The birch is going as it is about 8ft from my neighbours gable end and has caused subsidence (all the evidence has been provided and it is quite damning, although I'm not convinced that it won't...
    Many thanks for the advice. I'll give it some tlc once the birch has gone and see how it gets on. The birch is going as it is about 8ft from my neighbours gable end and has caused subsidence (all the evidence has been provided and it is quite...
    Many thanks for the advice. I'll give it some tlc once the birch has gone and see how it gets on. The birch is going as it is about 8ft from my neighbours gable end and has caused subsidence...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. SeanG

Is my tree dying?

Fish, blood & Bone or pelleted chicken manure, mulch with some compost - they work for me - I think there are more "proprietary" feeds specifically for trees & shrubs, but you need something...
    Fish, blood & Bone or pelleted chicken manure, mulch with some compost - they work for me - I think there are more "proprietary" feeds specifically for trees & shrubs, but you need something roughly 5:5:5 (Nitrogen:Phosphorus:Potassium)which the above mentioned roughly have. Good luck
    Fish, blood & Bone or pelleted chicken manure, mulch with some compost - they work for me - I think there are more "proprietary" feeds specifically for trees & shrubs, but you need something roughly 5:5:5 (Nitrogen:Phosphorus:Potassium)which the...
    Fish, blood & Bone or pelleted chicken manure, mulch with some compost - they work for me - I think there are more "proprietary" feeds specifically for trees & shrubs, but you need something...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. letitia

Bonsi tree

No green anywhere just brown, guess it's a gonner thanks for the advice anyway...... Rainy
    No green anywhere just brown, guess it's a gonner thanks for the advice anyway...... Rainy
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. revin helen

eucalyptus flower

My tree must be at least 8 by now, I grew it in a pot for a long time so it's only about 18 foot tall. The lable said it was a gunnii but I have a friend who is convinced that it's not. They are...
    My tree must be at least 8 by now, I grew it in a pot for a long time so it's only about 18 foot tall. The lable said it was a gunnii but I have a friend who is convinced that it's not. They are also supposed to deter gnats, so I put it by my patio doors for a while to stop them from coming into...
    My tree must be at least 8 by now, I grew it in a pot for a long time so it's only about 18 foot tall. The lable said it was a gunnii but I have a friend who is convinced that it's not. They are also supposed to deter gnats, so I put it by my...
    My tree must be at least 8 by now, I grew it in a pot for a long time so it's only about 18 foot tall. The lable said it was a gunnii but I have a friend who is convinced that it's not. They are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. mitch

privet tree

thats ok glad to help. steven
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Gardening Newbie

Plum Tree Pesticide

Helen, Keep the traps going, I bought one today and you dont need to spray aswell. If there are a lot of moths then keep replacing the traps, use more than one if needs be. As I said earlier I...
    Helen, Keep the traps going, I bought one today and you dont need to spray aswell. If there are a lot of moths then keep replacing the traps, use more than one if needs be. As I said earlier I dont grow plums but I didn't think codling moth was a problem with plums, only apples and pears. Have...
    Helen, Keep the traps going, I bought one today and you dont need to spray aswell. If there are a lot of moths then keep replacing the traps, use more than one if needs be. As I said earlier I dont grow plums but I didn't think codling moth was a...
    Helen, Keep the traps going, I bought one today and you dont need to spray aswell. If there are a lot of moths then keep replacing the traps, use more than one if needs be. As I said earlier I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. elizabess

leylandii trees chooped to death

Leylandii can stir up some strong emotions - not only because of their potential height and solid colour all year round but also because of their thirst. I would strongly suggest that you chat to...
    Leylandii can stir up some strong emotions - not only because of their potential height and solid colour all year round but also because of their thirst. I would strongly suggest that you chat to your neighbours about what they dislike about them to see if you can get a healthy compromise - if...
    Leylandii can stir up some strong emotions - not only because of their potential height and solid colour all year round but also because of their thirst. I would strongly suggest that you chat to your neighbours about what they dislike about them...
    Leylandii can stir up some strong emotions - not only because of their potential height and solid colour all year round but also because of their thirst. I would strongly suggest that you chat to...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice