10 week old lawn looking bad

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Matt40, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Matt40

Matt40 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My lawn is starting to look a bit ill and in need of some help.

I had the turf laid, 2.5 months ago, watered it daily until it rooted and it grew fine. I notice now that it is starting to look patchy and I don't know why, I put the sprinkler on once a week now for an hour as we have had little rain in this part of the world but it's just going the way of the old lawn that was here when I moved in, all yellow grass within it and becoming more sparse/bare. I only cut it once a week at the lawn mower's highest settings also.

I am at a loss what to do now, I attach some photos to help perhaps it need feeding?

Thanks in advance.

Matthew

2. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    Considering the low rainfall we've had this year, I think it's looking pretty good.:gnthb: A feed would certainly help - there are lots available in garden centres and the "sheds". Just find one that's suitable for this time of year.

Chris

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    At this time of the year, watering once a week seems a bit infrequent.

Lawns respond best to "cut, water, cut, water, cut, water."

In fact I water mine for a few minutes every evening and cut three times a week.

An occasional feed helps, but looking at my golf club fairways, the grass looks superb and all they get is a cut twice or three times a week and never any feed.
    The constant cutting encourages the grass to grow.

4. Matt40

Matt40 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Is lack of watering the problem then? When it was returfed and I watered every day I got mushrooms!

5. Tommy

Tommy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    As has already been said, considering the lack of rainfall lately, that lawn is looking pretty good! It looks much better than most of the lawns do in the area that I live.

Also, as Doghouse says, watering once a week when its dry like this is not enough. I have managed to keep my lawn looking good but its been a struggle. Try to water your lawn in the mornings if you can, if not, do it at night.

A feed would help it, no doubt.

I cut my lawn every 3 or 4 days and have been watering at least every other day.

Its not too bad at all though so dont worry about it. :thumb: