2 daftish questions

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Alasdair, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Alasdair

Alasdair Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    1. is there anyway of getting cuttings from a peoni (?), my neighbour has a few and i would like some of them.

2. growing 2 pumpkins in GH, do i train them up a cane or leave to trail along ground, knowing that pumpkins get big and heavy?

stupid question time over for a while

Alasdair

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    As far as I know you cant grow peonies from cuttings.
    If its the herbacious type you need to divide the roots, which is a dodgy process as they dont like root disturbance.

Punpkins in the greenhouse.
    Let them trail around the ground, but they do get big and will quickly fill a greenhouse unless you have a massive one.
    You will also need to pollenate the flowers as the insects may not do it for you, under glass

3. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't like peonies and so I dug all mine out, or so I thought because I must have left the tiniest of tuber behind and they are growing like nothing. If your neighbour is agreeable ask him if you can take a bit of tuber from one and see what happens. I think I dug mine up in spring when they began to show, I know that they started growing on the bonfire heap the following year!

4. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    I look forward to my peony flowering every year.The perfume is heaven.

[​IMG]

5. scooby-mas

scooby-mas Gardener

Postie
    Ratings:
    +31
    my peony are just in flower but i fear with all this rain the heads will just bend over and wilt.... another fine english summer i think....

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Alasdair, I`ve not heard of Paeonies being grown from cuttings. You would be better off getting hold of a tuber and planting that. Even then, they can be finickey plants to get going so don`t be disappointed if they don`t like your garden.:D As for the pumpkin, the plants can grow 20ft plus, so make sure you give them plenty of room.:thumb::D:D

7. Alasdair

Alasdair Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

i might just take it out of the gh soonest and give me all that room back, as for peonies, will see next door about getting a bit of tuber

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good idea, Alasdair.:D The serious pumpkin growers will grow 1 plant in a 30 or 40 ft polytunnel. That`s the guys who go for the really big ones. I planted one in an outside bed for a clients granddaughter, today and I`ve allowed it a 15ft run. You also need to keep them growing, water and feed daily.:)