3D Design Software?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by by_the_park, May 4, 2009.

1. by_the_park

by_the_park Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can someone recommed some decent 3D garden design software (don't mind paying a bit!).

I've tried the BBC one but its a bit limited. I've also tried the Marshalls one - also limited. Mainly because I want to add some curved decking.

Thanks

Scott

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I had a months trial of a reasonable one ,didn`t need any more, just google "garden design " i cant remember name ,it was complicated at first ,but you could curve lines

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I use a 3D CAD from Punch Software. It has libraries of trees / bushes etc which you can just plonk on, but all the plants are America (its editable, but a chore, so I just pick something about the right size and use that!)

You can then do a fly-by in 3D, and "age" the garden etc.

But I have the full blown version, which I expect is expensive (bought it because I thought I was going to build a house instead of buying one) so not sure what is in the Landscaper Version.

Also, I bought mine 3 years ago, so it may have changed (e.g. may be UK plants library or somesuch)

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I've got a Punch software package as well (Master Landscape Pro), I used it to create a 3-D model of my house extension and garden. Its pretty good because it lets you create an animated walk/fly through of the plan/model which I saved onto a DVD. It helped my OH visualise the plans, plus I used some of the output to create images to get my Planning Permission - particualry the front garden planting plan. I probably spent far too much time playing with the software than was necessary in the end.

I've used it to create a curved patio retaining wall feature, so it will be able to do what you want - just that it may take a fair bit of time learning how to use it. It has a good support forum in case you get stuck.

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Its relatively easy to put your own 3-D plants into the Punch library if you really want.

6. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I have QCad, professional CAD software for our system. It's free but I haven't had an occasion to use it yet.
    That's the advantage of our system, loads of free software. You just go to the repository and download it.