1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

7 leaves on rose stems

Discussion in 'Roses' started by oakdaledave, Jul 16, 2010.

1. oakdaledave

oakdaledave Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Am I right in thinking that once stems produce 7 leaves they will not produce flowers and should therefore be pruned out?

I read an article somewhere and Alan Titchmarsh was suggesting that roses will even survive and be fine in heavy clay soils that are prone to flooding even for several days at a time. Is this correct?

Thank you everyone. I must rush off now to try and make the garden look a bit better after all the wind and rain we've been having!!!

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi OakdaleDave.
    Long answer short.
    7 leaved roses are wild roses that have broken off the rootstock below the graft. Roses are grown on rootstcks for vigour but their attributes are grafted on. Garden roses have 5 leaves.
    Wild roses will flower, but they might not give you the attributes you want. They are just lovely in the hedgerows but maybe not what you want in the garden unless you have a very big place.
    Pruning out the suckers is not just a matter of cutting them off. They will just come back. I'll leave it to the experts to tell you how to get rid of those suckers.

As for clay, yes roses love to grow in it. I don't know about flooded for days at a time.

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,808
    Hi Oakdaledave A: No, while most of the hybrid teas and floribundas have just 5 leaves many of the roses belonging to the other groups have 7, 9 or even more leaflets. There are no hard and fast rules to distinguish a sucker but as a generalisation the suckers have 7 leaflets and are a rather pale green as are the stems which are often smooth with few thorns. If they flower they will have 5 petals and will be a very pale blush white. Suckers come only from the rootstock on which the garden rose is budded and so will only come from below the bud union. The young growth from some roses can be very vigorous and look out of character and rather sucker-like, so do check carefully before cutting these otherwise you may well ruin the plant.

Tackle each sucker as you find it and this will make removal very easy. If you trace the sucker back to the root, you can then simply pull it off.
    With newly planted roses you will have to put your foot on the base of the plant and then pull the sucker off. It is better to pull the offending stem off rather than cutting because it will not grow back. If you cut it, it will most likely come back. Once the sucker is removed you can then put the soil back and heel in.
    With standards it is best to rub off suckers growing on the stem as soon as they are seen.

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Well there you go - Oakdavedave.
    I told you the experts would be along.
    Follow Woo's advice and your roses will be no problem.

5. oakdaledave

oakdaledave Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Having taken a closer look, I notice that on most of the stems they have started with 5 leaves and then as they have grown taller they are growing 7 leaves on the same stem! Now I AM confused!

6. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,808
    Hi Oakdaledave have you a name and cultivar for this rose and perhaps a Photo,it would be a great help if you have this information,Thank you:)