7year old Tree Peony watching in horror

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Scotkat, May 14, 2013.

1. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    My yellow tree peony is now mature in its 7th year and has 8 buds waiting to open but yesterday it back and was scary to watch it get blasted back and forth.

Its well staked now but hoping they dont open till all this horrid weather is past so I can have the pleasure of 8 blooms.

This happened when it 1st bloomed when it was 5yrs old only one yellow flower then wind broke it.

I had to then wait till the following year same thing happened only 2 buds and 2 blooms gone in an instant.

So here we are year 7 and 8 buds so lets see what happens.

I have a 1 year old white one its more sheltered and growing well so lets see how long it takes to bloom.

Then a friend posted up a pink one she got free and had no room for .

But I think I shall donate it to the Restoration walled garden of Glamis Castle where I volunteer.
    If anyone is planning a visit to Glamis myself and my friend are there every Tuesday and Thursday.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    MIght be worth having some temporary "wind protection" for any storms at this time of the year/ I'm thinking of a frame of some sort (reasonably stout to take the force of the wind) wrapped with some scaffolders debris netting to "reduce" the wind impact (I think that 50% netting will be better than something solid like plastic sheet, which will act much more like a sail, but a rigid barrier would do as well, provide the supports are strong enough and well enough anchored).

Garden perimeter hedge / trees is the other option - bit of a long term project though! and depends how much available "depth" you have to your perimeter