1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

8x10 Polycarbonate Greenhouse Recommendations

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Jon Leech, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Jon Leech

Jon Leech Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello!

I'm looking for a 10x8 Greenhouse with Polycarbonate 'glass' (as I have young children).
    This will be my first greenhouse, so I have nothing... no shelving, water butts etc...
    I'm having a concrete base put down (having other work done with concrete so makes sense to concrete rather than flag), nothing locked down yet so could flex on the dimensions..

Can anyone recommend a good 8x10 Polycarbonate greenhouse?

Budget is up to £1500, but that needs to cover shelving, drainage, openers etc.... (but excluding the base).

I was looking at the simplicity-clearance-le-polycarbonate from the greenhouse people...???

Thanks,
    Jon

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Hi,

A lot of possible comments about your plans, sure others will have a lot of input, but a couple of things -

When pouring the base do lay some tubes so you can bring in water and electrics, perhaps not used now, but you might once the kids move on.

I used flags and some concrete in my base, but down the middle made a slight channel so any excess water and muck can easily drain / be swept away.

For a house that size, even 3 top vents would be good, though auto openers are a must, imho.

One or even two bottom louvre vents with auto openers again make things a lot easier, saves leaving the door open.

If you are tall then using one of the metal bases or a dwarf wall with give some welcome extra height , I used to regularly curse as I hit my head / face on the vent openers.
      ( now got a lean-to which offers a minimum eaves 6ft height)

• CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,611
      Try these people.

Palramapplications.com

Your budget should easily cover one of these, fully loaded.

Yes, leave access points for water, electrics, etc.

• Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,686
      Very exciting! My new 6x8 Palram polycarbonate greenhouse is waiting to be built after my birthday at the end of the month. I am getting slabs laid as a base (by my better half), and leaving one side unslabbed so I can grow straight into the ground. I have a limited budget, so will be getting additions as birthday and Christmas presents, but from all my calculations and shopping around I don't think you will have any issues whatsoever with getting all the items you need within your budget.

I hope you really enjoy your new greenhouse. It is also a great opportunity to get the kids enthusiastic about gardening too.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • sandymac

sandymac Super Gardener

engineer
        Ratings:
        +914
        greenhouse people have an offer a green powder coated 8ft 5inch x 12ft 7inch Hercules blenheim with four roof vents plus auto openers two louver vents, gutters and down pipes with full sheet safety glass bar capping for £1499. you will have to be quick as offer ends 23rd

• Like Like x 1
        • Jon Leech

Jon Leech Gardener

Ratings:
          +3
          Hi, thanks for the suggestions.
          I'm the end I decided to risk using toughened glass and went for a Simplicity Clearance LE starter pack from the Greenhouse people... now for the best... next topic :)

• Like Like x 1