99p rose dipped in wax.

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Paul Benson, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Paul Benson

Paul Benson Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    This is a Paul's Scarlet sold in my local 99p store as a bare root. Couldn't resist it at that price really. On removing the packaging, it has 4 almost pencil thick green stems with a few weak looking new white laterals having already broken from them with pale white leaves. Well, it was sitting around in a warm store in the dark for some weeks. I've potted it up and 2 weeks later those very pale leaves are starting to colour green and there are some nice, plump looking bud eyes just above the crown.

What I was wondering is should I prune down to those plump eyes removing the stems from which those weak laterals have already broken? That would mean the 'pencil' stems would be no more than half inch long. At the moment they are about 3" - 4" long. Or would it be better just leaving the rose as it is? As for the stems having been dipped in wax - I'm not too bothered about that.

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    • Gwen austin

Gwen austin Gardener

Tea technician
      Ratings:
      +238
      What a bargain! I don't grow this but it is gorgeous. I'd be tempted to leave pruning until better established and giving it a feed. ill wait to see what other advice is out there.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,894
      It's obviously a very young shrub Paul and with stems only 3 to 4 inches long I wouldn't prune it back any further this year. Leave it to mature and put on more growth. :)

• wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +91,667
      This is only my personal view and what I would do :smile:

Good morning Paul, lack of chlorophyll in the stems makes the new laterals white, caused by lack of light from sitting in a dim shop. I'd trim them off as they'll be weaker than normal growth. As they've been in the warm shop ,keep them in some natural light and cool till you're ready to plant them.the wax is only there to keep the moisture in,to stop them drying out in a warm temperature.its harmless.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,894
        I've learnt something new, thanks Woo! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Paul Benson

Paul Benson Gardener

Ratings:
          +39
          Thanks Woo. The rose is potted outside now and gets a few hours of sunlight (when we get sun). I should have posted a photo with my first post which I will do now.

As you can see the leaves are starting to green up. You can see to the left those eyes near the crown. Do you think I should prune that far back? How about the right stem with its side branch. Should I prune that back to near the crown as well? I've read that you should hard prune a rose in its first year.

PaulsScarl.JPG

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
        • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +91,667
          Good morning Paul I personally cannot see any advantage in pruning your rose at the moment,your Rose can do without any more stress ,I would still just pinch those white laterals of with your finger and thumb, as ,I would have planted it a little deeper but we all have our own rose ways;) please be patient as these inexpensive Roses can take up to 2 months to settle and bud,most important thing for me is please don't let it dry out ,care for it and it will repay for years to come:smile:

In my personal opinion this is not a good idea because I feel it's best to let our roses get to mature size and fully establish themselves first:smile:

• Like Like x 2
          • CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,523
            Well said woo, i bought a few cheap one last year and 2 didnt make it. Since then ive spent a little more on older plants and looked after any cheap ones more carefully.
            One of my aldi ones has taken 2 months just to put out one bud, and that's in a lovely deep pot of compost!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • laurieuk1

laurieuk1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +16
              I would prune all the stems down to a couple of buds you really need to let it form some good roots before flowering

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +91,667
              Hi Paul there we go a difference of opinion which is what Rose gardening is all about;) I am not saying that LaurieUK is wrong,just giving my own personal opinnion,I very rarely if ever prune a young new my Roses;)

Don't you just love it But I have to give my advice on what I see and what I am told,(I have to be very careful here with my written word)i the only time's I would prune a Rose was if I were moving(transplanting) and obviously in Feb/March for its pre summer prune,but that's just a generalisation :smile:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,894
              I agree with Woo, I wouldn't prune a young rose either unless there was a very good reason for it, like the white side shoots you have on yours Paul.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Paul Benson

Paul Benson Gardener

Ratings:
                +39
                • Agree Agree x 1