9cm pots Clematis

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Spruce, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi All,

I had to replace my fence due to the storms and him next door digging a new border and loosened the fence post (but that's another story). new fence is over 70 feet long

I bought weeks ago before the new growth started several varieties of clematis mainly viticella & hybrid etc Dr Ruppell , Nelly Moser in 9cm pots as I needed so many I wanted cheap ££ all have put on growth 3 to 4 feet really well but 3 of them have only produced one shoot or two which is to be expected as they are only a year old ...

My question is if I pinch out the leading shoot at the top will it help produce more shoots from the base or is it best just to leave alone ?

Spruce

• Agree Agree x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,291
      Good question @Spruce , we also have some similar sized ones and wonder the same ?

• Like Like x 1
      • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +19,308
        I often cut the tops off and they branch out easily. Sometimes I do it to the branches as well, and get even more stems.
        You have to make sure you leave some leaves on the stem i.e. don't cut it too far down.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +8,896
          If I remember correctly you are supposed to keep pinching out from a young age to encourage them to branch / bushy plants for later in life . That's if I remember it right that what I read from Richard Hodson who holds the national collection of Clematis Viticella, I've had some plants of him as well Hawthornes nursery if you're interested.

Noticed a load of little clematis at Asda last week I had a good look through them, you have to remember though these are only really plug plants not really ready yet to go out into the garden.

• Useful Useful x 1
          • JJ28

JJ28 Gardener

the best - retired
            Ratings:
            +774
            Morrisons have theirs in now as well. I have 4 which are now 3 years old and have lots of new shoots at the moment.

• Like Like x 1