A Bit of Housekeeping

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Doghouse Riley, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    We've had this acer palmatum for over thirty years

P1000634.JPG

This one about fifteen.

P1000635.JPG

At this time of the year, they look a bit sad. There's always some mostly lower branches that have died off and need pruning. This could cause some concern if it weren't an anual occurance. There's always lots of new growth.

P1020050.JPG

P1020049.JPG

I removed this lot, this morning.

P1020053.JPG

They don't look much different.

P1020051.JPG

P1020052.JPG

But pruning them now means I can work out which branches need wiring to others get an even spread of foliage in the summer.
    I'll not move them much yet as it's easy to break them. in the Spring I can even them up a bit at a time.
    There'll probably be a few more that will need to be removed, as well as many "ends." On some "the jury's out" as to whether they are dead or not.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      DHR. I compliment you on your truly beautiful garden. From previously posted photos of your home, you certainly have so much to be proud of. Many thanks for sharing. Sincere best wihes to you and your dear wife. Mike.

• Like Like x 1
      • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
        Ratings:
        +2,369
        The acres look stunning. Its a tree that we have never had success at growing. Probably due to our south facing location and being on limestone.