A bit off topic... Fences...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Grum Tum, May 4, 2017.

1. Grum Tum

Grum Tum Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    So I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about this. It's a bit off topic so I thought I'd post it here...

Basically as it stands the boundary wall between me and my neighbour, the south boundary, is a concrete wall with a height of roughly 1.2 meters. It's the bane of my life because as you can imagine roughly 1 - 1.5 foot behind that wall never gets sun. Never! It's a pretty gloomy strip.
    But now, the neighbour has decided to erect a 6 foot fence on her side, leaving the wall which means still no light in that area, but going above the current height which means even more shade for me! It's pretty annoying because I have raised vegetable beds next to the shaded area (although given the current height of the wall and the trajectory of sunlight they do have full sun) and I'm pretty scared that this new fence is going to put them in the shade. To say I'm peed off is an understatement. She didn't even consult us until today when they had already dug the holes for the posts which I find the epitome of rudeness also..
    Basically I was wondering, does she need permission to go higher than the current boundary or is 6 foot acceptable without any? I really don't know where I stand.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +51,884
      As far as I am aware, up to 6ft requires no permission - sorry, I know that isn't the news you wanted.

• Grum Tum

Grum Tum Gardener

Ratings:
      +15
      Ah not what I wanted but what I feared. bugger. I suppose that'll be me moving the beds to the other side then! Thanks.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Yep, FC is correct. Legally, the resident can put in fences up to 6 feet high. In the case of a privately rented house the tenant should consult the Landlord for permission. Some Councils will want to be consulted if it is a Council House and some will not.
        The only other thing is if you're a House Owner then your House plans will tell you which boundary fence you are responsible for and which boundary fence your neighbour is responsible for. So if the South Boundary fence is the one that you are responsible for then the neighbour cannot do anything with it. They could, however, if they were bloody minded, erect a secondary fence, on their land, up to 6' high along the sound boundary.:dunno::coffee::snorky:

• Grum Tum

Grum Tum Gardener

Ratings:
        +15

Homeowners, both of us. And that's exactly what she is doing. The boundary wall is staying and she's erecting the fence on her land directly next to the wall. Hell, probably attached to the wall. Ah well, I best get digging. Fortunately, being so north I haven't started planting the beds up yet. Was planning on doing that this Saturday. So much for a relaxing weekend!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
          Ratings:
          +5,404
          Have you had a chat with your neighbour? A nice friendly one.... there is a possibility she is totally unaware of the grief she is causing, and talking about it before the 6 footer goes up might just end up well if you go about it the right way.. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Grum Tum

Grum Tum Gardener

Ratings:
            +15

Aye... Wasn't very responsive to say the least. Which is unusual, we were on good terms. At least now we're not - with this fence - I won't have to look at her :snorky::snorky::snorky:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,291
              You have to be positive, if she is only putting up 6ft fencing thats a lot less that the permitted 2 mtrs :smile:
              Home owners: Decking & Fencing | Planning Portal

That said, I have such a fence in my back garden and it still gets some sunshine early and late in the day so can grow a good collection of flowers, though not much good for veg.

What I found very effective for breaking up the effect of the fencing was to put in some 6ft round poles or similar and get clematis etc growing up them and they soon fill out and create a good long season effect.
              You can also use things like the Photinia Red Robin which in good soil will soon grow up to 6ft+ to really hide the fence.

I have a 4ft wide strip of soil to the north facing front of the house and it gets virtually no sunshine yet it can still look good most of the year with a variety of plants like hardy fuchsias, ferns, clematis to name but a few of the many shade loving plants, short or tall.

• Like Like x 2
              • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                Ratings:
                +5,404
                Maybe you went in like a steam train ? Us girls like to be persuaded nicely, maybe you should brush up on your chat up skills - you WERE on good terms. A smile, glass of vino, bunch of flowers, cap in hand maybe.....:wub2: worth a try to let the sunshine in :pathd: :sofa:

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                  Ratings:
                  +5,404
                  @ricky101 it`s not the look of the fence, it`s the shade it makes that is the problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +122,476
                    Also not what you want to hear (sorry :sad:) but they are allowed to have the fence higher if they're putting it on a concrete gravel board (and even if they're not). These are usually used to keep the timber off the ground and are about 6" high. That's why the allowed height is 2 metres.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                      Ratings:
                      +5,404
                      Just had a silly idea @Grum Tum - just for a laugh you could build a 5ft platform next to the fence, and put your deckchair on it with a sunshade attached :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Funny Funny x 1
                      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +92,099
                        Most people around here have 6ft fence panels.
                        It gives you a bit of privacy, personally I wouldn't be without them.

I'm not thinking the shade is that great for the majority of the growing season.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                          +100,838

Granted, tetters, my bottom fence, which consists of 4" X 2", 6' high, runs along a small lane which is actually a good 2 feet lower than the base of the fence. On top of the fence there is a 2' high trellis covered in Chicken wire to stop my cats from getting out and other cats getting in, so from the lane side the fence is about 10' or more in height.
                          Despite that, there is a White Buddleja, a Viburnum Tinus, a Viburnum Bodnantense, a Buddleja Globosa, a large Fuchsia Mrs Popple, several Clematis, a Berberis, and a Acer, all in fairly deep shade......so all is not lost.:dunno::coffee::snorky:
                          All my fences, in agreement with my neighbours, are 6' high, and the side fences have 3' of a form of trellis covered by Chicken Wire on top of them, again to keep my cats in and other cats out.

• Like Like x 2
                          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                            +100,838
                            Actually, Shiney, in most Council areas, including where I live in Cheshire, the actual total height of a fence allowed, including base boards, etc, is 2 metres. Most Councils have differing rules regarding fencing but, in general, they stick by the 2 metre ruling.
                            There is, admittedly, some Councils who will, on application grant permission for a fence to be over 2 metres high, but also might want a planning application. That restriction also includes hedges, but most Councils will ignore, or at least let sleeping dogs lie, that ruling if there are no complaints from neighbours, etc. Legally, "Part 8 of the Anti-Social Behavior Act 2003" can be used, along with the Rights of Light Act 1953.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 2