A Cautionary Tale

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by raebhoop, Jul 23, 2011.

1. raebhoop

raebhoop Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +167
    Anybody recognise this weed? Similar looking to a chickweed.Finding this in my new garden I thought I had better post this...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Keeping birds,it has been my habit in summer months to hand pick a few dandelion leaves and other green shoots which the birds seem to like picking through.

Some three years ago I plucked some of the above leaves and threw them into the aviary...thinking no more about it I continued with my work and a few minutes later my eyes felt uncomfortable...I rubbed them,as you do, and within seconds I was hit with unbelievable pain in both eyes...within minutes I was totally blind.I found my way to the sink and stuck my head under the tap...no effect.

Being alone I panicked and staggered to the house next door...no answer.Now I was really crapping myself...I suddenly heard a voice..."Are you alright mate?" it was a passing window cleaner.
    He phoned 999 and I was rushed to the eye hospital...all the time in awful pain.They rushed me in and a nurse immediately bathed my eyes with a solution that stopped the pain almost within seconds.
    Some three hours later after treatment my sight returned and there was no long term damage.
    God knows what would have happened without that passing window cleaner.The doctor told me the milky sap from the plant was one of many with extremely toxic effect if coming into contact with the eyes. Obviously I had inadvertantly rubbed my eyes shortly after picking the plant...after a lifetime of picking leaves for birds and rabbits without accident I never thought to wash my hands...How many kids do after playing outdoors and picking flowers and plants all day long?

Needless to say I now wash my hands regularly when weeding or handling plants...Do you??

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey thats a scary experience RH,

You were lucky.

that looks like a spurge, very nasty sap.

While we're on this, please please please, everyone else reading this, take a look at the sticky thread on poisonous plants, its there for all to see, to prevent things like this.

Hope you make a full recovery:thumbsup::cry3:

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    It is definitely one of the Euphorbias ( spurge ) Don`t know which one though. Having said that, they are ALL skin/eye irritant.:dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb:

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Terrible experience! You don't happen to know what solution they have used to bath yor eyes with?

5. raebhoop

raebhoop Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +167
    I KNOW....NOW!...:D

No idea ...sorry...I guess it's one they use regularly,they knew immediately I mentioned I had been handling weeds.

6. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,887
    Sorry to hear that raebhoop, how frightening. I bet the birds didn't touch it either. Euphorbias tend to have an upright growth, where as chickweed tends to be more ground hugging. My mum's birds used to go mad for chickweed as soon as it was put in the aviaries. They liked groundsel and plantain as well.

I am very aware now of the things that grow in my garden and keep my hands away from my face until washed. Had a nasty experience with hogwort many years ago.

7. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Holy mackerel. I have that weed in my garden. I recognised it as a spurge, but left it because it is quite pretty for a weed, with its lovely fresh green foliage.

Its coming out tomorrow now I know this.

8. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    It gave me a red, blistering rash on my arms when I pulled some out and carried it in a bundle of weeds to the compost heap.

9. raebhoop

raebhoop Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +167
    Isn't that something to do with Harry Potter??...:D

• Like Like x 1
    • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,087
      I get loads of that coming up in various parts of my garden, so thanks for the heads up.

I usually nuke it with weedkiller, don't think I've ever picked it up but will be ultra cautious in future!

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,444
      That must have been very worrying for you.

I never do any work in the garden without wearing gloves (my trusty very tough old gloves for prickly and rough stuff and cotton gloves at other times) and wash ny hands whenever I take them off. That habit has carried over from when I was working and had to have my hands in good condition all the time. :thumbsup:

• Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
      +437
      Hand model?

• Like Like x 1
      • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,730
        :D

'As an international supermodel, Shiney's hands have to look good. He chooses Nivea Age Defying hand cream. And gardening gloves.'

• Like Like x 2
        • Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
          +437
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +122,444

I thought I told you not to tell my secret to anyone :mad:. Well, I suppose it's only Melinda that knows so it's OK. :dbgrtmb: :D

• Like Like x 1