1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A couple of banana plant queries :)

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Tara100, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Tara100

Tara100 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello

I stumbled across this forum whilst looking for answers for my banana plant queries, and thought I'd join, and get knowledge from UK growers :)

I live in Torbay, South Devon and winters are very mild here (last year it didn't get chilly till the end of December, and we only very rarely get a light frost)
    I have a 6ft Basjoo and a mature Lasiocarpa, both in pots which live outside all year round, and have just bought two Ventricosum Maurelii which are approx 12-15" tall :)

My queries are:

* Are the Ventricosum as hardy and I can also leave them out over winter?

* A couple of days after the ventricosum arrived, two leaves went bright yellow. Is that shock, or underwatering at fault? (I shall be potting it up tomorrow)

* I'd like to add to my banana collection and would like to know which are the most wind resistant? I can see the ventricosum has a thicker leaf than the Basjoo that shreds easily. Can you recommend any others please?

* Oh and can the Lasiocarpa plant be divided in two? It has four main 'trunks' and I wondered if the plant could be split without killing it?

Thanks for taking the time to read my questions, and I look forward to receiving any advice :spinning:

Many thanks :blue thumb:
    Tara

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,372
    Hello Tara, Lucky you with a climate like that! I can't answer all your questions as I only grow one E.v.maurelii, but M. basjoo grows and fruits planted outside here in SW France.
    The average winter low is -8C, with the occasional humdinger down to -17C. I wrap the pseudostem of the Ensete in fleece, then give it an overcoat of foil/fleece layered roofing insulation, with a thick mulch of whatever dry, shredded material I can get hold of. It has survived three winters like that. The leaves do shred in the slightest wind, though.
    I find the dangerous time is not winter, but Spring. Judging when to uncover, preventing the banana from getting too wet at the roots....if you're planning to keep your bananas in pots you'll have a lot more control over factors like that. No doubt @pete and @PeterS will be along to offer much more comprehensive advice soon!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Tara100

Ratings:
      +3
      Thanks for your reply
      I guess we are lucky here as I don't take any precautions with the tropical plants and there's a good few gardens around here with huge basjoo's in their front gardens. I just really dislike the torn leaves. Last year my geraniums and fuschias were still in flower in mid November - quite weird really, but nice!

We had a weird freak summer windstorm here last week with 65mph gales for a couple of hours, and my poor basjoo was battered about a bit. It really must be the most delicate leaved variety, but I do love them

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,998
      Yes I find basjoo does shred very easily, ensetes are less likely to as is Lasiocarpa.

I dont actually mind a bit of shredding, think it looks slightly more tropical :), but gales do make basjoo look rubbish.

Lasoicarpa can be split, although I'd do it in the spring, it tends to pup far too much for my liking.
      I've never left an Ensete outside all winter, I dont think it would make it unprotected in my area, it really needs to be pretty much frost free.
      They survive slight frost in a greenhouse, but that is with fairly dry roots, rot is probably the biggest enemy at low temps.
      I've not tried @noisette47 method of over wintering, so might give it a go this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • noisette47

Ratings:
        +14,372
        :yikes: Do you want me to post you a roll of insulation, @pete? :biggrin:
        It's sooo in the lap of the Gods, @Tara100.....The winters are a bit more predictable in UK, but it's crazily variable here. Mustn't grumble...I can't complain that it's boring:whistle:
        I agree with pete that wet is far more of an enemy than cold, but that goes for so many borderline plants like dahlias, cannas, hedychiums, callas, amaryllis etc. Even in the Midlands I overwintered all those in the ground with a decent mulch and it was far less hassle as well as being much more successful than potting up.
        I don't think any banana is immune to shredding unless you can give it a spot sheltered from all directions!

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,998
          You have my adress :snorky:.
          No, I think I know the stuff you mean, its in a foil coating, so stops the actual insulation inside from getting wet and soggy.

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,015
          Hi Tara,and a warm welcome to the forum. Do you know Hill House nursery at Landscove (have a Google). You might well have bought yours from there. They will have experience of Maurelii's hardiness, but I should think they are colder than you, and I am pretty sure they don't overwinter any outside.

I live in North Yorkshire and nothing is hardy here - though some trees keep going :biggrin:. So I overwinter things indoors. My only experience of bananas is in propagating Maurelii - which is very easy. see http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/bananas.55088/

I am currently trying to grow (again) a Dwarf Cavendish - the edible fruit plant. But I understand it is rather less hardy than others - and for me the most difficult to overwinter. One, that might be a bit of fun, is Musa velutina, which bears small pink bananas. But I think that would need overwintering under glass - but I gather it doesn't get very big.

As Pete and Noisette said, the biggest problem with bananas seems to be when they get too wet over the winter, even indoors. They may still have foliage, but they are dormant under about 10C and therefore require essentially no water, and easily rot if kept wet.

• noisette47

Ratings:
          +14,372
          http://www.castorama.fr/store/Isolant-mince-multicouche-21-ITR-prod10890011.html
          That's the stuff.....we put it under the clay tiles on the roof and it's amazing how cool the house stays during summer! Anything really precious and vulnerable gets a winter overcoat:) The knack is to make a cone and put a 'hat' on it, so water runs off. And to take it off during hot Spring days, otherwise it's stewed banana leaves for lunch:heehee: I'd post the latest photo of the maurelii flower, but it hasn't changed:hate-shocked: Gave it a good soak yesterday to try to stave off the inevitable.....

• Like Like x 2
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,998
            I shall pop into Wickes and ask for some
            Isolant mince multicouche 21 ITR

And watch their expressions:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
            • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,385
              What i great idea,Thanks i will give it a try,ive never managed to over winter one yet so itl save me digging them up and trying:)
              Ive got a roll of roof insulation but not foiled....if i use bacofoil to wrap over it will that have the same effect ? :)

• pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,998
              I'm thinking the insulation has to be encapsulated otherwise it will get soaked, get heavy and rot the plants.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Tara100

Ratings:
                +3
                Thank you folks for the replies!

• noisette47

Ratings:
                +14,372
                Hi joolzs, the stuff I use is open at the edges so I get cheapie foil tape from Lidl to seal the edges, then make the cone and top. Love pete's 'encapsulated' though :snork: what a way with words that man's got!
                I'm sure the multi-layer insulation must be available in UK and it would be a lot less faff than trying to encapsulate ordinary insulation!

• noisette47

Ratings:
                +14,372
                Oops, sorry Tara for hi-jacking your thread:redface: Frankly, with a practically frost-free climate, you're home and dry! Say a prayer for us poor souls that get frosted!:)

• Tara100

Ratings:
                +3
                :spinning:
                Hi there

Yes I have been to Hill House Nursery, just the once a few years ago. It's about 15 miles away from me. I didn't realise they sold that type of plant! I bought my tall one at a car boot sale, a few years ago and had no idea what it was. It was about 3 inches tall then
                I must pop over to Hill House again and see what they have.
                My basjoo must be tough as old boots as it chucks it down with rain all winter, year after year and it is happy. I don't feed it either, ha ha.

Can you recommend any more narnas to buy as I love them