A couple of questions - eryngium, bfb and salvias

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by latimer, Apr 29, 2024.

1. latimer

latimer Gardener

Ratings:
    +206
    Hi all

A few questions for you (I’m not sure if the mods prefer them ask in separate threads, I can repost if they do)

1. These look like Eryngium seedlings to me, is that right? If correct can these be transplanted easily if I can get them out? They’re very close to the edge of the gravel area so if they can’t be moved they’ll have to go

IMG_0390.jpeg

2. I bought some Levington Blood Fish and Bone from the GC last week. Usually when I’ve bought it before from other manufacturers it’s been in a powdered form but this one is pellets. Do I treat it the same? I’m just throwing handfuls under shrubs.

3. I picked up 3 Salvia Caradonna today after seeing them recommended, is there anything I can do before planting them to propagate some more plants? I believe it’s root cuttings but I’m quite confused by the book I have regarding that (Carol Klein)

And finally, a warning for other new gardeners: don’t plant Red Veined Sorrel, 3 years later and I’ve still got hundreds of seedlings coming up everywhere!! :wallbanging:

IMG_0391.jpeg

IMG_0392.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  2. AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
    +482
    I would have thought salvia Caradonna could be propagated from stem cuttings. I've taken plenty of cuttings from the shrubby types, but that's usually in late Summer/ early Autumn. If you're hoping to propagate them for more plants for this year, it might be worth trying a couple to see how you get on :smile:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Punkdoc

Punkdoc Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,994
      They are Eryngium, they can be moved but have tap roots, so you need to dig them out carefully.
      You can use the FBB as you used the powdered form.

• Like Like x 1
      • latimer

latimer Gardener

Ratings:
        +206
        • Like Like x 1
        • JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,751
          Yes to moving the eryngiums, but try to do it ASAP before the tap roots get down deep.

I've never seen pelleted BFB but I would think you use it the same way as powder and it'll break down when it gets wet.

I think Caradonna is a herbaceous salvia not a shrubby one, so if it's a decent clump in the pot you might be able to divide it. Otherwise I would try stem cuttings if you don't want to wait for the plant to bulk up enough for division.

I have a few self-sown red-veined sorrel but nowhere near as many as you have. I don't particularly like the flowers so I tend to chop them off but clearly I missed one at some point!