A good list of herbs?

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by BastLoki, Feb 27, 2012.

1. BastLoki

BastLoki Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Yo, it's me again. While I think about it, could someone suggest some more useful herbs to add to my lasagna bed once it's made? In pots, I already have -

Lavender
    Rosemary
    Mint (we use obscene amounts of this in tea in our house XDD)
    Thyme
    Parsley
    Sage
    Fennel

- also, I've tried to grow basil in the past before, but for various reasons they've always failed me. Any tips to maybe assist in growing it again?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like you've got it covered already.

Keep Basil away from Slugs & Woodlouses.

3. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Here's a neat trick to get good supply of Basil. - Buy a little plant from Sainsbury's / Tesco etc., - pot it on to a 5" or so pot. It will grow into a nice big plant in a few weeks. Then, at regular intervals take off a few (3 or 4) sprigs, put the in a jar of water until you see the roots forming, then pot up in the usual way, and you have another plant, and another, and another.....!

We usually make one purchased plant last a year (Sorry Sainsbury)

a-a

• Like Like x 3
    • BastLoki

BastLoki Gardener

Ratings:
      +5
      Sweet, I'll definitely try that. Me and mum always lament the difficulty in growing basil outside, so I'm assuming you mean keep it inside on the windowsill?

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I noticed Marjoram is missing from the list. Its lovely. I had it in my herb garden at my last house. Definitely going in my new one here.

How big is your herb bed going to be? There's loads and loads of lovely herbs, but how much you plant is obviously dictated by how much space you're allowing them, and of course what you like and don't like.

In addition to your list, I'd aim to include:

Marjoram - Can't remember if its pot marjoram or sweet, but one is nicer than the other:)

Corriander - Easy and excellent. Some people complain that it bolts too easy. I don't think it does (keep the ground moist and grow it in part shade rather than full sun), but in any case, even when it is finished it goes out with a bang. You get loads of frothy white flowers, then the leaves and stems go vivid autumn colours,

Lemon Balm - Nice lemon flavoured leaves to go in salads, tea, or hot dishes that lend themselves to lemon flavours. Beware though, this is worse than mint for wandering.

Nasturtium - If there's room, you can't go wrong here. Apart from being pretty, its leaves and flowers work well in salad, and its stems, chopped finely do well in soups. All adding a flavour that's a bit like black pepper, but sweet and with a fresh 'green' flavour. Some people dry and grind the seeds which are produced in abundance to use as a pepper substitute, or pickle them instead of capers. I don't, I just collect the seed to sow the following year.

PS. a-a's suggestion about the basil is bang on. I've done that a few times. Sometimes if you're lucky you'll see a basil plant discounted to about 30p just because its visibly dehydrating. That's cheaper than a pack of seeds and you'll get your crop much faster too. Just take it home, give it a haircut such that there's only a couple of leaves at the bottom of each stem. Give it a really good watering overnight. Then tease the plants apart (you'll find that they are force grown, too many plants in too small a pot), and pot them up in something more suitable. Keep them indoors on a windowsill out of direct sunshine, and keep them well watered but not soggy. They'll sulk for a few days for after their trama but they'll soon pick up. Harvest regularly, being quite brutal, best to take from one plant at a time, right down to the bottom few leaves (removing the stems above the remaining leaves so you don't end up with bare stems). This will encourage it to thicken up. You'll get loads and loads off it this way.

• Like Like x 3
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Ooo, Winter Savory.

• Like Like x 1
        • loveweeds

loveweeds Gardener

Ratings:
          +210
          how about chives (hardy perennial), same supermarket trick, chop off what you need for your cooking or not, then plant out into garden:-) they blossom nicely (lilac). They could also make a nice edge to your lasagna bed.
          You cant use the blades with flowers on, they are to tough and without taste, but there are enough without.

If you like big stuff, try lovage. Will make up to 2 mtr in height, though! (hardy perennial)

I like to have a bit of rucola (know its actually more a salad,but its quite hot so I usually munch a few leaves when doing gardening work:WINK1:). I used seeds last year, its annual, I think.

• Like Like x 1
          • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +5,386
            oregano, yum (sprinkled on your home made garlic bread) ...vietnamese coriander is great(stronger) if your a coriander fan,it puts extra heat into a salsa :thumbsup:x

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,090
            For trad lasagne, I would only use bay, garlic, oregano or marjoram, basil. But rocket would be brilliant for the accompanying salad.

I did make a fab one once with salmon layered with vegetables and white sauce insead of tomato sauce and cheese. The herbs for that would have to be dill, fennel and parsley, maybe a bayleaf too.

I personally would not put lovage anywhere near lasagne (or most foodstuffs) because it's very strong and kind of weird but it's great for general architectural effect. It's used quite a lot in Eastern European cookery, maybe Angelina could give a few suggestions?

I love all the ideas for lazy basil on the cheap (I think I'll skip feeling sorry for Sainsbury's). Basil needs to be nice and warm so I wouldn't bother sowing till late April or even later. I sow in a large 8" pot, cover with cling film until they germinate then just thin them out and let them grow on. So no transplanting or potting on required. I have had large bushy potfuls this way.

I fend lemon balm a bit invasive though it's easy enough to get out when small. I prefer lemon verbena which is a small, lemony, almost hardy shrub.

Aloysia citrodora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Pixie

Pixie Gardener

Ratings:
            +400
            how about chives (hardy perennial), same supermarket trick, chop off what you need for your cooking or not, then plant out into garden:-) they blossom nicely (lilac). They could also make a nice edge to your lasagna bed.
            You cant use the blades with flowers on, they are to tough and without taste, but there are enough without

I did the above with chives and have a lovely bed that flowers all summer and if you chop them down as soon as the first flowers are over, about June time, you soon get another flush of leaves and flowers, that last up until October. :dbgrtmb:. I've had this same 'Asda' chives for 3 years now and they just keep going and i collect the seeds and have had so many seeds all my friends have beds of chives also.:)

• Like Like x 1
            • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
              Ratings:
              +598
              Wouldn't put it in lasagne but chervil has to be one of the best herbs and you rarely see it in shops, I've never seen it in a supermarket. Easy to grow from seed - mine germinated in 5 days - if you can't find any plants, just keep picking all summer.

• Ashes

Ashes Gardener

fulltime mother & missus
              Somewhere at the bottom of a garden in Berkshire,
              Ratings:
              +22
              Purple basil tastes absolutely gorgeous in/or with a lasagne. I find my basil grows well when its planted with small tomatoes (maybe it just enjoys mr tomatoes company) :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
              • melloyellow

melloyellow Apprentice Gardener

greenhouse dweller
                Ratings:
                +1
                nice tip il give that a try this year, iv never had much luck with basil:dunno:

• Like Like x 1
                • Ashes

Ashes Gardener

fulltime mother & missus
                  Somewhere at the bottom of a garden in Berkshire,
                  Ratings:
                  +22
                  It grows well if left to hang (hanging basket, window box etc) And good luck with basil and tomatoes :)

• Like Like x 1