A lot of trellis needed

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by JimmyB, Jan 29, 2022.

1. JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Bit of ducking and diving
    Ratings:
    +602
    I have 3 walls on my house up which I would like to grow something or things. The surfaces are something like 4 metres wide by 10 high - facing SE; a gable end of maybe 10 metres width with ground and two floors - quite high because the house is 125 years old - facing SW; and the the front, NW facing maybe 5 metres again by 10 high. These are estimates - and I'm not at home at the moment, so could be a bit out. But something like that.

I have been putting off the moment where I get serious about trying to grow some stuff up them: I threaded a length of hops twine up the SE side last year and grew hops in a pot - semi-successfully. But I'd like to do something a little more permanent - and I think that means I need to put some support up first. I'm hoping that doesn't require planning permission - we've got a low grade listing (for absolutely no obvious reason at all I have to say: it's a concrete rendered and thankfully painted, very standard of it's time house).

We are 200 metres off the beach and do get some wind come through though it's not totally exposed. I've got an extension in plan which will help quite a lot with that I think. The gable end gets the worst of the wind due to a funelling effect between us and the neighbour.

I have been wondering if I need to paint the house first - as it does need it. But then - here are the questions:

1) do I need to get professionals in to put up trellis?
    2) How do you stop trellis from creating points of water ingress where it is attached? Should I consider glueing it?
    3) what shall I grow? Shall I grow the same thing round all three sides? Or several things and mix it up a bit?
    4) Any thoughts on stopping the trellis from looking a bit weird and sterile while the plants haven't grown?

I've been googling but really haven't found my inspiration yet.

I'd like something long flowering and with a good scent: I'm a bit cottage garden-y in my tastes, so a rose could be good if I could get the right one. But the one I thought was the answer - Paul's himalayan (can take some shade so could do that front NW face) apparently doesn't have a great scent, and flowers once - where I'd love to get something that flowered for longer and had a stronger scent.

The missus doesn't like wisteria (no idea why) but also it flowers for too short a time for me. I might try to find a corner for a standard wisteria though somewhere in the garden.

So honeysuckle - maybe? I wondered about Passiflora edulis because the flowers look great and you get fantastic fruit from it: but it looks properly scruffy end of season I think (?).

I'm pretty open to any thoughts anyone might have (specially ones that might challenge my thinking!) - all opinions welcome. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    @JimmyB A couple of thoughts you could use vine eyes and either stretch wire between them, or fasten a plastic net to them, large holes say 4" (10cm). These would be less visible without growth on them.
    As for planting ideas: put a variety of plants in so you get flowers in different seasons. Things to consider: Solanum laxum and S jasminoides, Clematis, I'm a fan of C rehderiana autumn flowering, scented, flowers are different to the standard clematis. Eccremocarpus scaber, Schizophragma hydrangeoides "Moonlight" (can be slow), Holboellia coriacea vigorous, evergreen with me, lovely scent in spring. Lonicera, as you mentioned. Roses, but remember these will need pruning and tying in.
    Yes paint the house first. Put trellis or vine eyes up as you go.
    I'm sure you will get more suggestions from others.

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,097
      I prefer the vine eyes and wire idea ( @NigelJ ),and expand it upwards as the plants grow, paint the walls first as well.
      Covering all the walls in trellis is a bit drastic I think, if the walls are sound, I dont think you need to worry about allowing water to seep into the walls.

Some climbers are self clinging, some are good at self clinging some not so, so to some extent the support would depend on what you decide on growing.

Not scented but if I had a large sunny wall to cover I would definitely have a Campsis, not the species radicans which is a bit lanky, but one of the hybrids.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        I agree in regards to vine eyes.

As regards plants. Some years ago, possibly at Sissinghurst, I saw a clematis wall. They extended the flowering time of these by puning some of them using one method, and the rest, which were the same variety, according to a second method.

For those that are not aware, clematis are pruned at different times, depending on the variety. These times are called "methods" by me at least! Some can only be pruned at one particular time, others different ones, ie two methods for the same variety.

Am I making sense? I'm finding this so difficult to explain in writing.

• Like Like x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,291
          There are two types of Vine Eyes, but would suggest you use the Screw in type rather than the Hammer in ones, as the drill, plug and screw method will not cause as much disturbance to the old wall.

Also fit the Eyes before painting as the paint will help seal the plug hole so you do not get any water seeping in.

Have found Sandersons wall paint very good over the years, though we are not in a coastal area.

001046.jpg

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
            +602
            OK - thank you. Those are all good ideas. I've looked up the plants you suggest: I think clematis is a great shout - though I wasn't that taken with the pictures of the C Rehderiana I found... maybe I should see one in real life? But OK. And yes - vine eyes would be simple to put in. I've got lots round the garden walls already.

• JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
            +602
            Yes - that makes sense. I do like the idea of clematis: I really love many of the varieties. I have had disasters with them to date but that's because of where I've put them I'm sure - and sporadic watering. Up against the house I can get an irrigation pipe onto them no problem.

• JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
            +602
            Yes - I always use the screw ones (didn't know there were any other sorts actually) - with a plug to keep them in. I've got to get through concrete render and into granite underneath so I'll need some decent drill bits...

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +53,898
            I can recommend this nursery for Clematis Jimmy. I've bought from them in the past and the plants arrive in good condition. There's a lot of information and choice of plants for all weather patterns, location and season. :)

Taylors Clematis (taylorsclematis.co.uk)

Edit: I'm not sure whether they will deliver to the Channel Islands but it's worth dropping them an email to check.

• JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
            +602
            @Sheal Thanks so much - I’ll check them out. It isn’t given that they will ship to Jersey but some do

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,898
              Often I can't get plants or other items delivered here to the Highlands, with some places charging way over the top for delivery. It's handy to have a relative or friend in England that will order it for you and send it on.

• JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
              +602
              Yes - I’ve got a good mate on Uist who tells me about significant extra cost for shipping to him. Though apparently the Wine Society is happy to deliver out there

I could use my in-laws in Bristol I suppose, if I get stuck

• Like Like x 1
              • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
                Ratings:
                +5,368
                One addition in regards to vine eyes. Even if the screw in type are used, seal them with something like Sikaflex AT-Connection. Apart from the fact it will stick porous and non-porous materials togther, its a good sealer that is paintable. If it works in the climate we have here, then it should work on Jersey.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
                  +602
                  Yes - good shout. I was thinking that some kind of mastic for the vine eye holes would be good. The construction of the house is not anything I am used to: unfaced granite hidden under concrete (why???) outside, and then stud walls inside. There is a fair amount of damp there... so stopping any more water getting in would be important. Thank you.