A Nice Little Surprise...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by CosmosGuy, Sep 28, 2011.

1. CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
    Ratings:
    +306
    Last year I harvested quite a lot of seeds from various cosmos I had in the garden. Some were from a mixed packet I propagated and raised as my first seedlings. I've done a few this year, but not as many as I have in the past. Have had mixed types, double click, sweet kisses and sweet sixteen (think thats the name). I've been trying to do some of the dwarf varieties this year. Got a packet from suttons and it was a really bad batch, and they did get quite badly infected by greenfly at the start of the year. Tried a late batch of phoenix to boost up the stock, and pleased to say this type faired much better.

Anyway this has popped up from one of the seedlings (from the mixed batch I collected last year)....it appears to have crossed somehow? I'm really pleased with the result whatevers happened. Never seen this type and I'm fairly sure it's unique? So I wondered if I harvest some of the seeds is there I chance I'd get the same again from them? I don't really understand too much about pollination so sorry for sounding stupid :heehee:

Both of these are from the same plant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is The dwarf Phoenix variety, very bold :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
    • Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
      Ratings:
      +1,337
      Is it just the one flower or is it multiple flowers with the same patterning? as it could be just a fluke when the plant was producing the flower rather then it being genetic:( but if it is genetic then I don't see why you wouldn't get a few next year

But I'm dreadful at this type of thing so well wait for some other opinions:heehee:

• CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
      Ratings:
      +306
      Hey, it's multiple flowers with the same or similar patterning. The pics below are two different flowers from the same plant, the marking's aren't identical but very similar. It was burried a bit, and we cleared a few bits out from a around it the other day and noticed it, I gave it a dead heading as a few flowers were spent already but weren't noticed under all the borage (it had got pretty tall) covering it. It's got plenty of buds on it anyway lets hope they're all the same :D

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Keep us up dated, Cosmos:D:thumbsup:

• CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
        Ratings:
        +306
        Will do thanks armandii :D If anyone wants to try the seeds when I collect them, they're welcome. Just leave details if so :D

• kyleleonard

kyleleonard Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +950
        dwarf Phoenix looks amazing!

• CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
        Ratings:
        +306
        Cheers, yeah it's a nice little compact one. Really bright too!!