A question for LizThePot?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by noisette47, Apr 13, 2023.

1. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,336
    Here's the dilemma.....Poa annua. Having got rid of the couch grass over 2000m2, there's an awful lot of annual grass round the edges of the 'lawn' and it's invading the patches that the lawn seed mix didn't cover. I've been mowing quite closely to try to pick up as much seed as possible, but I'm wondering if there's a better/alternative solution? The Poa does die off once it gets hot and dry, but it'll be back next spring unless I can find a way of favouring the rye grass and fescue. Any ideas?

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,896
    I am not Liz the pot ( obliviously:biggrin: ) but probably let the grow grow longer may push out the POA in time ? I say let the grass grow longer because I don't really see it in long grass, I not sure it will work though :noidea:.

Poa will tolerate very close cutting and will grow across the ground lateral and still seed its the devil . I use a verticutter to annoy it , it will cut the lateral seed heads off and cut into the crown . The other option is to seed it and then cover with fleece to stop invading seeds.

3. noisette47

Ratings:
    +15,336
    Thanks for the reply, Perki :) If only there was some way to let the lawn grass grow without also allowing the Poa to seed! It's getting everywhere, though, as the cats and wild birds paddle it into the borders. It doesn't help that by the time the Poa dies off, it's way too hot and dry to contemplate sowing a lawn mix. Hey ho....I'll have to get busy with the spreader in October....:biggrin:

4. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Hi, sorry been a tad busy as always.

bit of job getting rid of this type of grass. Near on impossible to control it 100% and while growth regulators like Attraxor help and are for commercial use and expensive. They basically reduce growth and slow down seed head production.
    Also these types of treatments aid the cut down of applying N. The more N thrown at the grass plant the more growth and with POA it can increase the seed head production.
    Preventing it from seeding is the best way to limit it then allowing the other grass types to dominate although it will still be a on going battle.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  5. noisette47

Ratings:
    +15,336
    Thank you so much, LTP! I suspected that would be the case. Looks like the mower's going to be busy for the next few weeks :biggrin: I suppose I could try parking 'Sir' in the middle with instructions to pull out everything that's not dark green...:roflol:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
      Ratings:
      +300
      Hello Noisette, hello Liz,

From some of the comments you made to me last year, Noisette, I was under the impression that you were then already fully aware that one could not eradicate poa annua without destroying the “good” grasses at the same time. I recall you said something along the lines of "if you can find a chemical that can discern between grass and poa annua, good luck!" (apologies if misquoting).

On my lawn too they are returning with a vengeance and the seeds are raising their pretty little heads!

I was told by Agrigem Ltd (recommended by Liz The Pot) that the answer is to use a pre-emergent herbicide in the Autumn; this prevents the PA seeds from sprouting in the Spring. The problem with that this automatically prohibits over-seeding with good grasses which would suffer the same fate.

What I am not clear about is: how long is the pre-emergent effective; in other words, if one uses in the Autumn, can one then sow good grasses in April/May without detriment? What do you think, Liz?

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      do you know the product they were recommending?
      Normally pre emergent would be associated with a residue type treatment like a herbicide. On say a gravel area the above use would stop growth for a set period which is shown on the product label of the herbicide used. There are some chemicals that can treat poa but some target grass types like Rye and I’m not sure if they are usable under our regulations here in the U.K. while others are not for domestic use where they maybe used in agriculture.

• Informative Informative x 1
        Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
      • LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
        Ratings:
        +300
        Many thanks, Liz the pot, for your prompt reply.

Yes, Propyz 5L was discussed – details below. I did not use it because of the statement that it “treats” grasses as well as everything else. There may have been some misunderstanding on my part during our conversation.

Anyhow, our lawn looks wonderful at the moment, despite the evident infestation of poa annua seeds which are currently biding their time before revealing the consequences of their true nature later in the summer!

The only option, it would seem, is to cut and verticut. Perhaps you could confirm the following: my intention in the next few days (although I’ll wait to hear from you) is to give the lawn a cut to chop off the flower heads and then, immediately afterwards, verticut in order to cut through the horizontal PA strands and, hopefully, drive them into the grass box, and away!

Do you agree with the latter?

Many thanks for your advice, as ever!

Details of the product:
        Active Ingredient
        400g/L propyzamide

MAPP NO

LERAP Category
        Does Not Apply

Pack Size
        5L

Pack Size Coverage
        1.5 Hectares or 15,000m²

Knapsack Sprayer Rate
        80ml per 10L of water

Boom Sprayer Rate
        4.25L/Hectare or 1.7L/Acre for Amenity areas

Application Method(s)
        Boom Sprayer, Knapsack

Treats (Pest/Weed/Disease)
        Bindweed, Buttercup, Chickweed, Fat Hen, General Weeds, Grasses, Meadow Grass, Nettle, Speedwell

Area of Use
        Horticulture, Trees & Ornamentals

Safe For Use On
        Safe Around Fruit Trees, Safe Around Shrubs, Safe Around Trees

Period Of Use
        Autumn, Winter

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
        +1,259
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
          Ratings:
          +300
          I am sure you are right.

What do you make of my "my intention in the next few days (although I’ll wait to hear from you) is to give the lawn a cut to chop off the flower heads and then, immediately afterwards, verticut in order to cut through the horizontal PA strands and, hopefully, drive them into the grass box, and away!

Do you agree with the latter?

Many thanks for your advice, as ever!"

Should I proceed as I suggest?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Liz the pot

Ratings:
            +1,259
            Yes a lawn benefits from your planned work. Just keep an eye on the weather.

basically you need to try to stop the poa from seeding constantly which is a cut at a low level or to use a growth regulator to slow down its seed production.

• LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
            Ratings:
            +300
            Thank you. Will do!

What about the delimma of the growth regulator also slowing down the overseeding of the "good" grasses?

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
            +1,259
          • noisette47

Ratings:
            +15,336
            Hello both, just catching up with this! LTP you're a star! Primo Maxx ii is available here and has to be the solution (combined with re-cultivation and re-sowing of the worst-affected strip in October). Many, many thanks :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1