A reasonable question?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Fyfy K, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Fyfy K

Fyfy K Gardener

Ratings:
    +51
    Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this question from my neighbour is reasonable or a bit silly.

Nextdoor's enormous lime tree overhangs my garden to the extent that its branches cast a lot of shade onto my flowerbeds, so I recently had professional tree surgeons in to remove a few large overhanging branches - I did send a friendly note to the neighbours beforehand asking if they minded, to be polite (never received an answer). Now I've just had a visit from the neighbor in question asking if any special coating was applied afterwards as she was worried that "insects would get in, or water, and the tree might rot". I've never heard of a pruning killing off any trees, but did read somewhere once that a sealant is sometimes used. Is she right to be concerned, or is this a bit of a silly question?

Thanks, Fyfy

2. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,242
    It was my understanding that generally it is better not to use a wound sealant, when pruning healthy trees. Being open to the air is better than potentially trapping bacteria under the sealant, where it can work away, undetected.

I certainly don't use any when pruning trees in my garden....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +11,493
      I also do not put anything on any of my trees when I prune them. My magnolias, my maples, dogwoods , walnuts, or oaks.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,248
        Current thinking is not to seal pruning cuts.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Oh the joys of neighbours and trees! I remember now why I don't have any neighbours for a good 1/2 a mile and the ones I do have are nice luckily.
          I 100% agree with what others have said. It is now deemed unnecessary/unproductive to paint pruned areas with the likes of Aborex. I often have to let Scottish Power prune some of my huge trees (including a massive Lime) and they never paint any of the "wounds" with anything and it isprofessional tree surgeons Scottish Power employ.
          Just to be on the safe side it might be worth a phone call to The Royal Botanics to confirm or getting something in writing from the tree surgeons you used to state that painting the pruning cuts is not necessary. It might be that should the neighbour's tree loose 1 leaf before Autumn you'll be a to blame!! The neighbour was however, entitled to any of the pruned branches that were taken off. Hope you haven't burnt them already?...maybe they didn't know they should have been asked if they wanted them:).

• Fyfy K

Fyfy K Gardener

Ratings:
          +51
          Thanks everyone for the responses, that's good to know in case I get any more grief. @silu hahahaha! I'm guessing you don't live in London! If I started a fire in my small garden the neighbours would have the fire brigade and a dozen police units on me in a split second, probably suspecting to find an exploded meth factory in my shed!

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,352

Hi
          Limes bounce back after pruning hard as you will find out , but you can understand your neighbors worries , at least you had the pros's in to do the job and you did tell them in advance.

I wouldn't use anything either to seal

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +122,443
          I agree with all the above but for some trees they still recommend using a sealant, depending on time of year. Lime is OK but plum trees can need it if not being pruned at the end of fruiting.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,062
          My only thoughts would be, isn't it a bit late to be lopping trees, with the sap in full flow?

Not sure about limes, but I do know a few do "bleed"badly at this time of the year.