1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A Shady Spot to Fill

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jack Sparrow, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    Raised beds is certainly something I intend to look into at some point in the future. There are variously spots around the premises where a raised bed might be of interest.

G.

2. Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
    +5,414
    On a slightly different subject (it's my thread so I'm allowed to change the subject :whistle:) @ARMANDII mentioned witch hazel. I recently came across loropetalum chinenis. I was wondering if I could something like that here:
    20181013_175427.jpg
    I would plant it in the space behind a to the left of the barrel. If I tried to keep it to a nice neat 3ft sq it should fill that space nicely. I would then need to add some summer colour just in front and to the side of it.

G.

Ps I have no idea whether it would be available locally.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Flumpy

Flumpy In with the bricks!

Ratings:
      +6,680
      ECBFC574-37B1-41EC-A1E7-E976F9EC13F3.jpeg
      My hubby built this trellis and you can see some of the 8 ft raised bed :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Yes, sorbus would survive the winter but for a container what "show" would it really give you for most of the year Gary? That site is crying out for an evergreen grass like plant I think......creates movement and a great foil to that otherwise rounded, domed planting. A grass like helictotrichon or calamagrostis Overdam, a phormium like Bronze Baby or Dazzler, or even an iris like pallida variegata or libertia Goldfinger....?????

Not personally keen on trees in containers as they usually outgrow their alloted scale.......I think there are much better, and more suitable, subjects for containers to give year round appeal. They often look ungainly too unless they are acers, dwarf rhodos, camellias etc.

Raised beds are all the rage these days.....however, remember they dry out much more quickly in the growing season. Far better to match plants with the growing conditions.....soil type, aspect, space etc.....and enjoy seeing them thrive with minimal effort.:)

• Like Like x 2
        • Flumpy

Flumpy In with the bricks!

Ratings:
          +6,680
          Your right Verdun I always check what plants match my soil as I have shady areas and really dry areas :)

• Like Like x 3
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,836
            It will survive, Jack.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
            • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
              +5,414
              Back to the subject of shady spaces. I have another shady space I need to deal with. I was thinking of urns with something like camelia and gaultheria. I was thinking of something like a brunnera on the ground. I would then need a climber on the shady fence. I have read that there are clematis that tolerate shade. I liked the thought of the white potato vine but I can't tell how hardy it is.

Would this sort of thing work or am I barking up the wrong tree? This arrangement would be the first thing to greet you as you come through the gate into the back garden.

G.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
              +17,487
              The white potato vine, solanum album, is very vigorous though Gary. Here it occupies a 12' wide x 8' high section of wall and is pruned hard every year. It will grow 8' plus every year so needs controlling. It also requires at least part sun...here it is in full sun. Not sure it would be ideal for you there.
              Brunnera is excellent in shade....here Hadspen Cream has good variegated foliage and forget me not blue flowers in spring; nice.
              The montana varieties of clematis will grow in shade as will the Viticellas. Montana Grandiflora has the added benefit of having scented flowers. I have grown the lovely Nelly Moser in shade too....it retains its flower colour better in some shade.:)

• Like Like x 2