A stupid tomato question.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Anthony, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone.

I was doing a daily check of my tomatoes and was taking a closer look at the flowers that had died off. I took a close look and there was a small round green thing ...

[​IMG]

... a tomato! I've checked and there are lots of them!

My question is ... What do I need to do now?

2. ellenw

ellenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    lucky you! im no expert but from my tomatoes last year I would say just water, feed and wait!
    when red, pick and eat! yum yum!

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Yep you've got the beginnings of a nice crop of toms. Els is right, start feeding them with a tom feed, I use Tomorite (or the cheaper Wilkinsons equivalent).

4. 3134Karen

3134Karen Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would also say that just wait and water and feed them and they should become some nice tomatoes.

5. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Antony are they in grow-bag compost,if not it would help,once they are taking food through the roots with the compost then just feed with tomato food [tomorite] once a week and you will have a real crop of tomatos

6. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the response everyone. It was the feeding that I hadn't started so I bought some Tomatorite and have given them their first feed.

They're not in compost specifically for tomatoes.

I have to admit that things are getting quite exciting as my current crop of raddishes are just about ready. :D

Ant.

7. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Anthony

Your home grown radishes should be a revelation - so much tastier and juicier than those small red balls of polystyrene they call radishes in supermarkets.

8. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I agree with all of above but the most important thing now that you have got fruit on them is NEVER let them dry out. Crops can be spoilt by either drowning the plants or letting them go too dry. Regular checks to see how much water they're taking up and give them just enough.

9. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Terrier.

Thanks for that additional bit of advise. I'll keep an closer eye on watering too.

Ant.