1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A Tale of Two Microclimates

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by NigelJ, Nov 18, 2017.

1. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,271
    At the front of my house, against the wall, is a well drained bed that gets the early morning sun until about 1100hrs; after which it is shaded. Around the millennium I planted an Amaryllis belladonna here, the first autumn it flowered. After that it flowered once every two to three years, otherwise thriving and producing more large bulbs.
    About four years ago I moved a couple of these bulbs to a well drained, raised bed at the back of the garden. This gets more sun, but is less sheltered than the front bed. These bulbs thrived and flowered each year until this year when the ones at the front flowered well and the ones at the back didn't. I think that what happened was that due to the warm sunny spring and the wall behind the ones at the front of the house got sufficient heat early on to form flowers; whilst the ones at the back being more exposed and with the cool dull weather from June onwards just didn't get sufficient heat to form flower buds.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      What an interesting experiment Nigel!
      Did you mulch them the same?
      Feed them the same?

• PaulB3

PaulB3 Gardener

Professional Gardener
      Ratings:
      +327
      Hello Nigel
      I've always found Amaryllis belladonna (the true sp.) to be quite an intermittent flowerer . Even in E.Lincolnshire , where we're on the 'dryish side' of the country , we havn't had the consistent warm spells in recent years to induce flowering in a lot of S.African bulbs . I've long since given up on my Nerines :frown:

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,311
      That's interesting, Paul. my Amaryllis flower well here and increase quite dramatically but can I get Nerines to survive? In a word, no......I've given them specially prepared soil in a sunny spot, not planted too deeply, too far apart etc etc. Zilch. It's annoying!

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,271
      @"M"
      Neither get mulched or fed.
      @PaulB3 @noisette47
      I have both red and white nerines in the bed at the front of the house. This year the white has flowered nicely, but the red has done nothing not even the hint of leaves yet. Also in the same bed I have Schizostylis‎, this has flowered well this year, but some years it either has no flowers or very few.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,389
        Interesting :)

Our Nerines are in pots, always remain on the patio (no matter what the weather) and flower well every year. This year they were earlier than usual.

We have a number of different microclimates (can be as much as 10C difference in the summer) where plants do grow at different paces but otherwise seem not to have much difference in success rates. :noidea:

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,311
        Life's certainly never boring when you're a gardener, @NigelJ :)
        @shiney, Do you think it might be because the nerines are confined, crowded a bit? I understood that like a lot of slightly tender bulbs, they flower better like that.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
      • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,890
        I'd go along with @shiney here and keep them in pots as i'd always thought ( as with my Vallota { another member of the Amaryllis family } ) that they did better when pot bound or at least constricted on some way.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,389
          Quite possibly. :blue thumb:

We rarely have time to change anything if it's growing well (too much to do) and they have been doing very well just as they are. They've been in the pots for years.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
        • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
          Ratings:
          +6,133
          @NigelJ Great thread - learning lots .....So :thankyou: everyone
          I don't have any Nerines always thought they would be a bit too delicate for my climate - I do love them and now based on the info this thread I will be adding them to my garden :yes: in pots will be perfect... especially learning they cope in fact thrive being slightly pot bound :smile:

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,271
          Nerines dislike being moved or disturbed and can refuse to flower for a year or so until they settle in. Also like Amaryllis they likee their necks at ground level.

• BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
          Ratings:
          +6,133
          @NigelJ for the additional info - mind you now ya got me looking at Amaryllis varieties to add to me garden too :whistle:....OHhhhh!!! :help: I do need little encouragement to spend on the garden :heehee: