Aaaagh Blackbird fledglings

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Fran, May 4, 2007.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Why oh why can't blackbird babies fly from the nest like bluetits. My garden is wildlife friendly and every year the blackbirds nest in the ivy - every year their fledglings appear, here they are again and my dog is back on a lead in the garden cos I don't want him finding them by accident - as his predecessor did. They freeze but if the danger is too close, they flutter - snap and I can't deal with the residue - phobia re injured or intact dead birds. Dead or injured humans I can deal with birds no, prolly the result of pidgeons down the chimney whilst a child.

Just how long does it take for non flying blackbirds to be flying blackbirds.

2. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fran,

If your garden is wildlife friendly and you are keeping your dog away from the youngsters then you should find the parents will still attend to any who have fallen from the nest. It's actually better to avoid handling them you will be pleased to know!
    However, if you ever find any who seem to be abandoned try seeking out your local wildlife rescue place who will be happy to help.

TO

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Managed to persuade two of the fledglings into the front garden where there is lots of cover - just one left, and he at the moment is sitting in branches. Parents are feeding all three. All my other birds tits etc, fly straight from the nest - but every year the blackbird fledglings come out of the nest and spend time on the ground - only able to flutter and hop. Ah well hopefully soon all three will be flying - and I wait for the next crop :D