aaaghhh!!!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by geoffhandley, Jun 17, 2007.

1. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Last year I bought a plant i had never ever seen or even heard of before, Cypella herbertii. It was so gorgeous I wanted to propogate it from seed. My one plant flowered profusely but never produced seed. I read on the Internet that it was self sterile, so I needed another plant...I could not find a seed source anywhere either. So on my birthday we travelled all the way to Pembrokeshire and bought two more plants. The original produced a flower stem and then so did one of the new ones. Every day I would watch them as they grew. This year I would get seed of this rare relative of the iris family. Then one day I found the dog lying on the new plant. This is what I found.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I want to produce seed of

[​IMG]
    I think Poppy the German Shepherd is definitely pushing her luck. [​IMG]

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Geoff - so sorry to hear about the disagreement between your Poppy and your Iris lookalike. Fingers crossed. You do live on the edge - I had never heard of that! - looks interesting.

I have just had a Google :- 'ââ?¬Å?Goblet flowerââ?¬Â is an iris-relative native to eastern South America. Each blossom lasts only one day, but an established plant can produce hundreds of flowers in a single summer. As it is also easy to grow, it is no wonder that this plant is a favourite of bulb enthusiasts.'

3. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    is it not saveable? doesnt look broken.
    animals eh? nowt but trouble .. the birds made off with my new seedlings, i am so gutted about it but least they wernt anything i had spent major time on like you have.

4. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The bottom of the flower stem is to the left and that is 12 inches from the rest of the plant. It is completely broken. The plant is OK, its just another 12 months wait possibly Grrrrr.

Butter wouldn't melt..........
    [​IMG]

[ 18. June 2007, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: geoffhandley ]

5. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Perhaps a cage?(to protect the flower, not for the dog! :D ) They are both beautiful specimens -though obviously not compatible!