Abbotsbury Subtropical Gardens

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by On the Levels, May 2, 2024.

1. On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,463
    I was reminded of this visit when looking at our Handkerchief tree (Davidia involucrata). As usual the wind and the rain is taking its toll on the hankers! Abbotsbury has a magnificent one which many visitors walk underneath without realising what they have missed.
    SDC10026.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,679
      I've been to Abbotsbury only once, it was probably around 1996, I enjoyed the place.

How old is your tree @On the Levels as it used to be always stated they took 30 yrs to flower, but I'm guessing that would be from seed.

Is yours grafted.

• On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,463
      @pete Can't remember where we bought it and so also don't know if it is grafted. It started flowering about 10 years ago after 25 years.
      Abbotsbury is amazing. When we went with some friends I was disappointed at first thinking it was very small and a high price for so little. But then we moved into another area and then another and onwards. Very worthwhile visit.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,679
        Yes I do remember it being smaller than expected but some interesting plants and trees that you dont often see in the UK.

Your tree is a fair age then.:blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1