1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

About to making my own compost in a few days

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Magnus, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Magnus

Magnus Gardener

Ratings:
    +16
    I a planning on starting a new compost outdoors in a shady area
    within a few days and gladly take any tip that will increase the
    quality of it.

I read for example that you should have sticks at the bottom for circulation.
    Should I just put some big ones at the ground and then put it on top, or should
    the sticks actually be a part of the bottom compost? Because I dont want big sticks in it, since im taking the time to make all the vegetables really small for faster composting.

I will have some pure soil over as well in the autumn, should this be mixed with the
    vegetables or put in the bottom / top?

Is it a good idea to throw in some worms from the beginning so I dont have to wait for them to "find it" as well?

Thanks!

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,608
    If the composter is open at the base the worms will find there way in very quickly.

There's no need for sticks at the bottom, the worms can't climb. :biggrin: It's best to think of it as a sandwich putting in layers of different things. Starting with vegetation, be it weeds or vegetable matter, then following with shredded paper or torn up cardboard, then a layer of soil and so on. :) I've learnt my lesson with mine, I don't add sticks as they take years to rot. I try to remove seed heads as well, particularly from weeds or they will sprout in the beds later when the compost is used. Don't let the composter/heap dry out, I pour water over mine from time to time to help the process and this will help worms to work through it. They will retreat if it's dry.

Some gardeners turn the compost heap from time to time to help speed up the process but I have left mine and dig out what I need from the bottom.

The spare soil you have can be added as part of the 'sandwich' but if it's a great amount add some at a time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Magnus

Magnus Gardener

Ratings:
      +16
      That is very true :biggrin:

Cant wait to get rid of more vegetables now. Looking forward to building
      this compost and at the same time taking better care of my own waste / enviroment.

1 kg of bought carrots just had to go earlier. They tasted absolutely nothing. Besides,
      have my "Paris Market" on the go as well. Have read that they should taste really sweet
      so fingers crossed.

Is paper / cardboard a step that is necessary for as good soil as possible?
      Have thrown in some eggshells as well, the coming tomatoes like this added
      to the mix as well right?

Thanks!

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,608
      No, paper isn't necessary for good soil but it does help to aerate the compost while the worms are doing their work. They will break the paper down too. Adding egg shells and tomato foliage is fine. :)

• Magnus

Magnus Gardener

Ratings:
      +16
      Excellent!:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +8,295
        I've found that when turning the heap some tiny baby worms appear to be nesting in the folds of cardboard, so I think it does help. Good luck Magnus

• Agree Agree x 1