absolutely gutted!

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Walter Wallcarpet, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Walter Wallcarpet

Walter Wallcarpet Gardener

Truck Driver
    Ratings:
    +33
    Opened my back door this morning to be startled by the sight of a Heron taking off! Anyway, ran up to to my pond only to find all 8 fish had gone!
    My garden is enclosed with quite a few shrubs as cover for the pond so I'm surprised the thing chanced its arm (or wing)
    Anyway don't think I'm going to buy anymore as I'm not keen on that mesh stuff, its too unsightly. Unless anyone knows of another effective deterrent.....?

2. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi Walter.

My mates dad had a problem with Herons taking his fish and he put strong fishing line about 10 foot high in the Herons landing zone. This apparently stops the heron landing so cannot eat the fish. It worked for him.

Rusty

3. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    What a sickener! I have a Koi pond, and I sometimes worry about getting a 'visit'. As for deterrents, you'll hear different views. Some will say try this or that, others will say nothing (except netting) works. I've heard that Herons like to have their feet in the water to fish, and although I've seen a Heron flying over, I've not yet been visited, which I put down to my pond being straight sided and 5ft deep. Dunno:dunno:

4. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    My neighbour had the same prob...killed quite a few and left many laying around the pool. They call early on daybreak. Lovely creatures but they do like a change from river fish.

5. Walter Wallcarpet

Truck Driver
    Ratings:
    +33
    I believe those plastic herons are useless....

6. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Argh! I feel your pain, only its a herring gull that is taking mine. Cheeky blighter even flew in and took one right in front of us!! :th scifD36: :mad: :mute:
    Mr Mum has decreed "No more fish!" :nonofinger: (to me, not the herring gull :gaah: )

No expert tips, sorry; but I will watch the thread, on the off chance a solution crops up.

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Ah ha you are having the same problem as a friend of mine.. this is the stuff we looked at & he has decoys now & fishing line crossed over the pond & that seem to have solved it for him..
    Get a decoy of an Owl or of a Heron & position prominently by your pond so it id visible to the heron when he is scouting..... Heron's like to hunt alone so if they see another one at the pond they should move on... Don't forget to move the decoy around from time to time though as Herons are very smart birds..
    There is an artificial koi, called “de-koi”, these life size and realistic looking koi fish can be tethered in your pond to float just below water surface. When a heron is hunting your pond it will try to work as little as possible for its meal, and when it sees that big juicy koi just hovering there like easy pickins’, the heron will likely attack the de-koi which creates an alert to the real fish that can go into hiding...
    30-50lb clear fishing line stretched in a criss cross effect will deter them & of course last but not least, grow tallish plants around the edge so they don't have easy access...

8. Walter Wallcarpet

Truck Driver
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi, the fishing line thing seems to have cropped up a few times, how is it affixed ie distance from the water etc and would the heron not get get snagged up in it when landing as its virtually invisible?

9. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    On my pond i've just put it around the edge ....i fasten it to short canes around 2ft high...:dbgrtmb:....i did startle Mr Heron one morning and he ended up on his back after tripping over the fishing line.....he looked quite shocked ....but wasn't injured and off he went:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
    • Walter Wallcarpet

Truck Driver
      Ratings:
      +33
      oh right, get yer....I presumed you would criss cross it over the top of the pond....it looks like the way forward if I want to restock the pond. Mmmm never had Heron for Christmas dinner before anyway.....

• Like Like x 1
      • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,998
        Has anyone ever noticed that professianal Koi grower in UK , have pergola builded over the pond , protect from frost and heron ?
        [​IMG]

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,838
        I thought that was to stop the fish getting wet from the rain, Sal:heehee:

• Like Like x 5
        • Walter Wallcarpet

Truck Driver
          Ratings:
          +33
          I thought it was so the fish could go outside for a cigarette :biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
          • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,998
          • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
            Ratings:
            +12,517
            • Like Like x 2