acanthus white water advice needed plz

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by joolz68, Jun 1, 2012.

1. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,386
    hi,ive just ordered 3 acanthus white water plants,the info that comes with them is to plant them up into 9cm pots and then plant out in 4 weeks..does anybody have any idea on their growth rate? would i be better planting them up into containers(til next spring) in 4 week not sure if they flower this yr or next or how fast they get established :scratch: not much info on google.
    :ThankYou: julie x

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi Joolz, I've got the Acanthus Spinosus and they are quite fast, but not startling fast, growers. I would put them in the ground as soon as you can, keep them watered for a week or two until they establish, which they will do quite quickly. Mine usually disappear below ground during the Winter but didn't do so last Winter for some reason, so they're quite tough and hardy. I wouldn't leave them to over winter in containers in case they freeze up and the roots die.:snork:

• Like Like x 1
    • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,386
      Thanks armandii i will plant them in the ground then :blue thumb: ive planted the mollis i grew from seed last yr and they havnt done much on growth height yet,im hoping they are making good roots thou..maybe i planted them 6 week early but i wasnt to know :dunno: xx

• Like Like x 1