1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

'Accidentally' Put Weedkiller on Earth...

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by joh98.mac, May 22, 2018.

1. joh98.mac

joh98.mac Gardener

IT Stuff
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hi there,
    I have let our garden get a bit of a mess of late, so at the weekend, I popped to B&Q and got myself some weedkiller. I went out into the garden and filled an old watering can with a solution of this, and went a bit crazy.

Unfortunately, before I gave it any thought, I had doused the weeds inside the little 'container' of earth at the end of our garden, in which I was considering planting some strawberries or such.

Have I contaminated this earth and if so, how long will the earth be unusable?

Thanks.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,816
    Yes you have contaminated the soil,but as you said its a little container why not dispose of the soil(Carefully in a bag) wash the container thoroughly and refill with some new and fresh compost:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Hi,

It partly depends on exactly which product you used ? some are more persistent than others.

If its a pure Glyphosate they say the soils safe after 14 days, but many killers are a mix of several chemicals, you need to read the label and instructions; also view the manufacturers site for more info.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • joh98.mac

joh98.mac Gardener

IT Stuff
        Ratings:
        +139
        It was this one -- Roundup Fast Action Ready to Use Weed Killer 1L | Departments | DIY at B&Q

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,064
        Roundup (contains glyphosate) becomes inert as soon as it hits the soil so no worries.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Whatever the weedkiller is ...glyphosate is theoretically neutralised in the soil....you need to remove it joh98.mac.

I would not plant anything edible there for this year. There will be residues remaining in the soil that may not affect plants but not worth the risk on your strawberries.

Why not buy yourself a cheap container or two and put your strawberries in the affected area but place them there? :)

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • JWK

Ratings:
          +46,064
          Soil will be fine as I said before but be very careful about this watering can, do not use it to water anything else. Label as 'Weedkilller Only' and only use for that purpose. Many plants including Tomatoes and potatoes are very susceptible to the slightest whiff of glyphosate , even if you get some on your clothes and brush against such plants.

• Creative Creative x 1
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Strawberries absorb everything......I would not want my loved ones eating from possibly tainted ground joh98.mac
            Put into containers for this season then move them into the soil in the autumn :)

• Agree Agree x 1
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +46,064
              I understand your concern Verdun and you are right to worry about the effects of pesticides. Apparently glyphosate is being found in bread, some farmers use glyphosate to desiccate wheat crops before harvesting for example, so you would need to buy organic bread to avoid that scenario. There are many other pesticides that are still used more than they should. This is one reason I try and grow my own, but it's impossible to grow all a family's needs - especially wheat , pasta etc.

• Like Like x 1
              • Jimb0b

Jimb0b Gardener

NHS
                Ratings:
                +199
                I use a weed killer based on pelargonic acid which is found in geraniums the only other ingredient is maleic acid and so far its doing a great job

• Informative Informative x 1