Acer advice please

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Jowo, Oct 16, 2023.

1. Jowo

Jowo Gardener

Practice Nurse
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi there
    I'm hoping to get some advice on my poor Acer. I've had it a couple of years but moved it for the 2nd time last winter, which understandably it didn't like. It didn't leaf at all except at the bottom as in photos.
    The upper tips have died but the rest seems still alive. Any ideas on the prognosis?
    Shall i feed it this winter. I plan to remove the close surrounding asters as they have crowded it this summer. Previous to this it leafed well but had leaf scortch hence moving it.
    Thanks in advance

20231015_151721.jpg

20231015_151728.jpg

20231015_151735.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,084
    Think I would cut out the dead wood over the winter and you could give it a mulch.
    I wouldn't feed it during the winter months.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,571
      If you want to keep it for sentimental reasons then follow Pete's advice.
      Otherwise I'd replace it with a new Acer next spring. The reason for saying this is that I'm not sure you will ever have a nice looking healthy plant staring from what you have at the moment.
      Hopefully this is the permanent site what ever you decide to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Jowo

Jowo Gardener

Practice Nurse
        Ratings:
        +47
        Aww thanks..I could kick myself for moving it! It was doing well before. I think I'll keep it for a bit and see how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
        • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
          +614
          Hi do not feed it , trim it and, cover the top to keep the roots warm during winter it might sprout in spring but you might have destroyed some of the roots moving it so wait till spring then you can decide what to do

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +22,571
          @Jowo
          Don't be too hard on yourself I've certainly done the same type of thing myself. In fact I moved a species Fuchsia this summer and I don't think it's survived.
          Also a few years ago I moved a small tree in spring time only to have the weather turn cold and have the wind shift to the East (always bad news here); the skeleton still stands as a reminder to me. Hopefully summer 24 it will be replaced. I have spent 5 years looking for the same plant and fingers crossed I should pick one up next year.

• Jowo

Jowo Gardener

Practice Nurse
          Ratings:
          +47
          Thanks Janet.
          Do you mean trim the top branches? Or just remove the dead wood?

• Jowo

Jowo Gardener

Practice Nurse
          Ratings:
          +47
          Oh I know!! Such trial and full of school boy errors! Good luck with your plant search

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
          +614
          Hi jowo i bought a acer around 3;years ago it was a pot miniature Acer palmatum Golden Bark Japanese Maple Bi Hoo - not like yours but what i did might help you it arrived in a big pot at first .it was growing well but after a few months it started to go black.it suppose to be golden red.
          So i carefully lifted it out of the pot and checked the roots but made sure not to disturb any, As they were white i presumed the black stalks might be thats how acer goes as it was a few months old ,so i carefully repotted it in a bigger pot in compost and add some fresh used coffee then i trimed the black stalks half way but didnt completely remove them .
          I then covered the top to protect the roots with newspaper as i didnt have any bark and then add some water and left it over winter
          To my surprise in spring it started to grow buds and now after 3 years it is a lovely miniature tree i put it in the yard but it shreds its leaves in autumn so now its just red /yellow stalks in a pot waiting for spring
          So like me dont give up too easy on plants they can surprise you

But i suggest get rid of any dead wood, water it, protect its roots and see what happens in spring hope it recovers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023