Acer bonsai?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Acer chaser, May 28, 2016.

1. Acer chaser

Acer chaser Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Due to the wind I had to move an acer. It's only a year old so it's still really small. When I uprooted it there was still only a small rootball, a little big for a ceramic bonsai pot but small enough for a large food container (with lots of drainage holes). I've had to cut away the badly damaged areas but i'm stuck now as to how to take this further. I want it to carry on growing naturally rather than bend it and wire it into shape. I've read that deleafing causes more leaves and also smaller leaves. This sounds ideal, any bonsai enthusiasts out there?
    Thanks.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Any chance of some photos Ac? Also, you don`t say what damage the plant suffered.

3. Acer chaser

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for replying daitheplant.
    I will try and upload some pics, it might take a while as I'm technology illiterate.
    The damage is mostly weather related, the wind had split some of the newer branches/leaf stems and most of the leaves are scorched by the sun or maybe I haven't watered it enough.
    I now have it potted up in a sheltered area away from the wind and not in direct sunlight for a period of time.

4. Acer chaser

Ratings:
    +2
    Damage wise looks next to nothing now for only having potting it up and moving to a shady area. Obviously a bit of scorching of the leaves and a feeling of bareness due to a bit of brutal pruning of the damaged stems.

Attached Files: