Acer leaves are dry and dropping

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Elizajane, May 22, 2010.

1. Elizajane

Elizajane Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Acer tree which is approximately 15 ft tall and until the last few days seemed to be quite healthy. However I noticed today that a great many of the leaves have dropped off and many of the leaves on the branches are brown curled and "crisp". I have given it extra water, but suspect there is more wrong with it than just lack of moisture. There is another acer quite close by - a smaller tree and different variety, which seems to be quite healthy. Has anyone any suggestions. Thank you.

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    This could be a combination of lack of water and the actions of the sun.

Our "lollipop acer" suffers from this if I don't give it plenty of water and the weather is very sunny, even if only for a couple of days. So every year I try to avoid it now. Like this week the sprinkler's been on the front garden every night

3. Elizajane

Elizajane Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I thought this might be the problem although I didn't think the weather had been any dryer over the last few weeks, than in previous years when we have had a dry spell. Curiously my climbing rose, which is in the same area, has suddenly given up the ghost. I will keep watering and hope that it will recover.

4. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    You get the same problem with Japenese acers, I water mine every evening especially the leaves.

This one, the leaves would shrivel if I didn't and it still happens to the odd one if there's very strong sunlight.

[​IMG]

Not wishing to "rub it in" I took this photo yesterday evening of my acer tree in the front garden.

[​IMG]

Digressing, it is possible to move these trees.

The same tree is in the distance in the back garden. I moved it to its present position twenty years ago.

[​IMG]

5. JulieW

JulieW Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am having the same problem with my Acer palmatum Asahi-Zuru (Orido-Nishiki) (photo attached). It's still very young and when I felt the soil it was damp so I avoiding watering as didn't want to over water. Do you think this id due to lack of water too? The leaves have been browning/crisping for a few weeks now.

6. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    They prefer shade.

In hot sun the leaves are likely to burn, there's not a lot you can do about it, I watered both mine mine last night, they'll get watered again this evening. So far, I've not had any problem with the leaves, but any long period of hot sunny weather, I guess I'll be fighting a bit of a losing battle.

7. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Asahi Zuru and Oridono Nishiki are different trees
    I think the problem here is definitely a lack of water, strange as it may seem in this waterlogged country of ours
    And, strangely, the variegated varieties seem to be suffering the most with me
    Taylor, Asahi Zuru, Oridono Nishiki and now Butterfly are all suffering from frizzled leaves
    The Taylor is a goner I fear, and Asahi Zuru may well be following, even though it is a mature tree of some 15 years or so
    Unfortunately I have too many of these trees to be able to nurse them all, and I also do not have an unlimited access to water
    The 'Taylor' I dug up as it was only planted last year, to find that the soil was fairly dry and it had been competing for moisture with too many other root systems in the same area
    After all of the rain we have had here for almost a year it is difficult for any gardener to suspect a lack of water
    The wisdom of Solomon would be a great asset at times