Acer lost all its leaves during dry spell!!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by moonrakermagpie, Jul 2, 2009.

1. moonrakermagpie

moonrakermagpie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Acer has lost all its leaves in the dry spell in the spring, owner most likely let it dry out for quite some time. Has been moved to shady position and kept lightly watered!!
    Is it likely to re-leaf itself next year (this year):help:

As if it will be okay I will also be .........releaved!!!!!:rotfl:

Species - inc. varieties and cultivars
    ACER, type not known - but is in 35cm pot, plant is about 60cm high and wide - label states that Acer will grow to 3mtrs high and spread.

Location in its setting - Garden, roadside, waterside, sheltered, open?
    Was at owners garden, in a fairly narrow passage type position, but in a fairly good light, with full over head sun at around midday for about two hours.

Age or date of planting
    Not sure, but owner has had plant for around three years, and as said plant is around 60cms high, plant was purchased from plant centre to give to freind three years ago.

Cultural operations - Any pruning, herbicide or fungicide carried out within the last few years?
    Unknown, but has been repotted one or two years ago, has not been trimmed though.

PLease let it live!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    There are quite a few people more knowledgeable than I am on this forum, but I would personally get it in the ground and soak it through. A dappled shade is where I would put it and water it like it was on fire for this summer.

I don't know how tough they can be because I have had a few die on me with wind issues up here on the East Pennines-I do have a beauty though that I planted underneath a cherry tree-it doesn't get too much sun there and if it is any indication hostas love it there too-it gets the sun in the morning but it stays shady throughout the whole of the afternoon and gets it again after about 4-5pm.

Fingers crossed for you Steve.

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    If it has lost all of its leaves due to underwatering in the dry spell I think (unfortunately) that it is doomed
    Keep your fingers crossed :(

4. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Stand the plant, pot and all, in a bucket of water for at least an hour. Move to dapple shade spot - no midday sun, and keep well watered - I've just resurrected an amelanchiar and its got new leaves. It depends on how long its been "dead", if you know what I mean.

5. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    And, if it works, let us know :)