Aconitum hemsleyanum 'red wine'

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by QuothTheRaven, Apr 4, 2023.

1. QuothTheRaven

QuothTheRaven Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I need your help! I'm looking for Aconitum hemsleyanum "red wine", the burgandy coloured hybrid of climbing monkshood.

[​IMG]

Sadly, like most monkshood, the seeds are rarely viable and after many many failures, I have given up trying to grow it from seed.

It's common as muck in Sweden where the hybrid first appeared but there are no suppliers that are willing to ship to post-Brexit UK.

Crug have a red variant aconitum listed in their catalogue but like everywhere else, it's our of stock/unavailable.

Like the rest of the aconitums, it's a fast grower and does well when divided so I'm hoping someone on here might have some they are dividing and are willing to part with or someone has some secret source you can share!

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    I've tried to grow Aconitum hemsleyanum several times and it doesn't seem to like my garden. Years ago I had a couple from seed for about 3 years and then nothing, it's the same with plants. I see Farmyard Nurseries list it so getting an email alert when they have it available might be best.
    Or maybe give Crug a phone call/email.

3. QuothTheRaven

QuothTheRaven Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Interesting that it doesn't like your garden, I wonder what it is about the conditions that it doesn't like?

I have the normal blue A. hemsleyanum but this is the first year I'm trying it. I really want the Red Wine hybrid but this is all I could get this year.
    If it doesn't take, I'll try A. episcopale, which is much more showy and dramatic.

4. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    I can grow the non-climbing aconitums without a problem.
    Although in Devon my garden can get dry, being on a hillside, has shallow soil in places and suffers from drying, cold east winds in spring. These winds scorch off young growth and I've lost a number of plants to them over the years.