Actinidia Kolomikta

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Liz, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I love variegated plants and have an Actinidia Kolomikta, which is supposed to have pink and white colouring. Every year it produces one or two variegated leaves with strange white patches and pink colouration at the edges of the leaves, and that's it.... all the other leaves are green/pink. It's a healthy plant in a large pot. Shall I plant it in the ground?
    Has anyone got one with reliable variegation, or any idea what I can do?

Also, has anyone got Ampelopsis 'elegans', a lovely variegated climber with beautiful steel blue berries, planted in the garden rather than in a pot?

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hi Liz, is the Actinidia in shade? if so this can reduce the variagation. Ideally it should be in the ground in full sun. David.

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi David, thanks. It is a bit in the shade , it's a bit overhung by a fast growing passion flower- and we haven't had much sun lately! I'll find a sunny place for it. [​IMG]

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,189
    I would love to have one of those, Liz. You do know, I assume, they are the true Kiwi fruit plant, but they are cold hardy plants so you should get fruit ... I never would.

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi LoL, No, I didn't - I always get flowers but thought maybe it wasn't self-fertile as it doesn't get berries or anything.
    I've just bought Actinidia Deliciosa from Focus- they were advertising two plants at a reduced rate so that you could get fruits, but as the plants aren't differentiated I don't see how this helps.... am I missing something? I bought it because it has lovely big leaves with red fur, and red stems. I don't like kiwi fruit!
    Shall now go and google it!

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,189
    Looking forward to the fruits of your labour ... [​IMG]