Action cameras

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by hydrogardener, Sep 25, 2015.

1. hydrogardener

hydrogardener Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,084
    My wife purchased a Go Pro Hero 3 for me as a gift to use with my drone, however right out of the box the camera did not work. After a few hours on the phone with Go Pro support, they said to return it and replacment would be sent within two days of them receiving the camera and copy of the receipt. I returned the camera and after a month and a lot of hassle I finally received a replacement. In the meantime, I got to thinking: Do I want to send an expensive camera up on my drone, after all I am just learning how to fly it? I looked on Amazon and eBay for a knockoff action camera to use on the drone. I purchased a camera that looked identical to the Go Pro, but it has twice the resolution, 12 mp as opposed to 5 mp. Plus, it has a view screen, and play back, and came with a carry case and lots of accessories. It even has a WiFi connection, which works better than the Go Pro WiFi! All of the original Go Pro mounts fit this camera, and vice versa. All I got with the Go Pro was simply the box. The knockoff cost one third the cost of the Go Pro, and I now find myself using it more than the Go Pro. The lens angle of the knockoff is not as wide as the Go Pro, but I kind of like that. The knockoff, at a third of the cost of the Go Pro has identical features, so it makes me wonder if Go Pro is just charging extra for their name. The photo below was taken today with the knockoff, and I can see that Mother Nature is dipping her brush into the paint bucket getting ready for the fall display.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Tm120

Tm120 Gardener

Ratings:
      +33
      Great picture. I'd love to be able to take ariel pictures. I am gonna be a bit nosey and ask the price of drone and camera BUT you don't have to. I know nothing about drones or cameras

• hydrogardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +5,084
      I purchased the DJI Phantom 1, which has since been replaced by several other versions. I am quite happy with it as it meets my needs just fine. If you look on Amazon you can find the current price. The knockoff action camera was less than $70 US. There are some that are a lot more reasonable though, like the SJC. You can price them on eBay if interested.

• Rustler

Rustler Super Gardener

Retired (Early)
      Ratings:
      +1,217
      Superpower photo. It's something I would love to do, given the finances. A few years ago, I started to fly model helicopters and have, I think 7 of them in different sizes. Now they are hard to get to grips with! I built a drone while working at a university a good few years ago before cameras were available for them. I was always looking at ways to mount a camera on one, imagining what could be achieved. Isn't technology wonderful??!!

• Like Like x 1
      • hydrogardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +5,084
        They make a great platform for photography, but drones upset a lot of people. One nutcase does something stupid with a drone and it is a major news story, however thousands of people use them sensibly everyday and bother no one.

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +54,130
          That's a great shot Hydrogardener. :dbgrtmb: Your trees are ahead of ours with the colour.:)