advacardo

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by monty, Mar 25, 2007.

1. monty

monty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi i wonder if any one can help me is it possible to grow advacardos from a stone/seed if it is how do i go about it please help thanks monty

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Ola, monty, not sure I've welcomed you to GC yet!

I've got two I've done from the stone and it's easey peasey.

With you there in blighty, put a stone dipping in water (perhaps an egg cup or similar) in a warm sunny windowsill and watch it!

Here with my two, I just stuck them in an old Bristol sink in a shady spot that is kept moist and they shooted within a month or so. I have the two, one two years old now and the other just one. I understand you need more than one to get fruit but I can't confirm that yet. They apparently can fruit (here) after three-five years!

Watch this space.

Enjoy the site!

3. stez

stez Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    much the same as lady of leisure (lucky blighter! ;) ) i got mine going by sticking 3 cocktail sticks in the side of the stone and letting the base just touch the water in a jar. but, much to my annoyance, one of my colleagues brought in an avacardo which had germinated on her compost heap. and it looked better than mine :( anyway, i will grow these on pot them up and leave one outside all summer and put one in my new tropical border in a glasshouse, just to see what happens

4. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Hi, stez!

I really think the thing with avocados is damp shade to get them going, honestly.

Like I've said, I've got my two now, one year apar as I uderstand you need two to get fruit! ????

I'll keep eveyone posted on how mine go and good luck to the rest of you!

5. monty

monty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks for advice on advacardos will let you know how i get on thanks again monty

6. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    I think you'll be okay, monty. Just not sure you'll get the fruit but you may have a lovely tree.

Keep us posted!