1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

advice appreciated

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Janet mahay, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +611
    Hi any gardeners who can help
    In May I bought 2 chysanthemum plants for half price at a garden centre yet all they said they were chysanthemum plants
    .they were small when i bought them so l put them in a window box but i didnt realise how tall they would grow they are very tall , i cannot move them so i have to keep them in box and plant box and plants in garden , but i can only plant them at side or back of the garden where its shady how well do they do in the shade?also as the plants are budding as we had some frost how will they fare any advice appreciated

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Welcome to GC @Janet mahay itvreally depends on what type of a Chrysanthemums you have, a lot won’t over winter outside even in the ground.. They can’t stand much more than -5c at best.. If they have flower buds on now I would think the only way they will open would be in a greenhouse or like.. To over winter outside they need to be in a frost free place, in free draining soil and cut down to about 8” and have some mulch over top of the pot or well fleeced.. Well that is my experience anyway, but I expect someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon...:SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +611
      Hi thanks dear sending a photo I have a plastic 2tier green house I put them in their Janet

Attached Files:

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,325
      Hi @Janet mahay - welcome! I have some chrysanths in the garden in bud at the same stage, and I think they should flower before the weather gets too bad. Garden centres sometimes sell them as basically rooted cuttings, so you don't realise they are really big plants! I don't think they'll mind a little bit of shade. If they turn out to be big flowered exhibitors' ones, then @Marley Farley is right, they'd need some protection. But mostly I find them pretty hardy.

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +611
      Thanks I have never grown them but I now have a better idea :ThankYou: