1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for pruning roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by NessaJ70, Aug 2, 2018.

1. NessaJ70

NessaJ70 Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    hi, I'd appreciate some advice in pruning as I don't really know what I'm doing!
    I have a lovely rose bush which I planted in spring of last year. It grew pretty quickly and had loads of roses. I pruned it last autumn as there were very long stems. I pruned back quite hard in spring this year before it started to grow. Early in the summer I had to prune again as was growing so much and the shoots were too weak to support the flowers. Now it's grown loads again - see photos - and again the shoots are very weak. There are loads of buds at the end of long shoots and these are also be too heavy for the weak stems. What do I do? Do I prune again or just put supports in? I know I need thick stems but the new stems just seem so spindly so I must be pruning incorrectly.
    IMG_2904.JPG IMG_2905.JPG IMG_2906.JPG

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2018
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hello @NessaJ70 I see what you mean by the stems being weak...it looks like a climber to me though and @wiseowl is a Rose expert so hopefully he'll be able to help you :)

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2018
      • NessaJ70

NessaJ70 Gardener

Ratings:
        +46
        Thanks Gail, it's definitely a rose bush. It was a fairly expensive one and I specifically got a bush for that area. I'll try and find the tag ...... :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Morning Nessa...yes it's definitely a rose and if you can't find the Tag...you can add the pic's to this link as @wiseowl as identified two of my rose plants for me :)

Rose ID Thread

• NessaJ70

NessaJ70 Gardener

Ratings:
          +46
          Thanks very much Gail, I'll try that.

• Like Like x 1