Advice needed Maggots in my bean plants

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Becky24, May 31, 2007.

1. Becky24

Becky24 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

Firstly, I'm a new member and very new to gardening and wanted to say Hi to you all here!

I also need some advice from some more experienced folk about what I found in my newly planted out runner beans today...
    The plants started to wilt so I decided to pull a few up and I found that the roots were nearly all gone and the stems were brown and full of small white/orange maggots! There were also a couple of thin black bugs in a few. I have found these maggots in all of my beans and peas but not in anything else.
    Does anyone know what they are and how I can get rid of them?

2. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I wonder if this is the larvae of the bean and bean weevil? The adults are a brown insect and cut notches out of the leaves, but the larvae eat the roots concentrating on the nitrogen fixing nodules. Lawrence Hills recommends watering the rows with a nicotine solution which you make up by boiling up cigarette ends. That is his organic solution.

3. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thats handy to know Geoff! Oh,and welcome Becky.

4. Becky24

Becky24 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure I saw any marks in the leaves but I shall give it a go, thanks for your help Geoff I will let you know if it works! I am going to go hunting for cigarette butts now lol.

5. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome Becky.
    Good tip geoff, making the solution sounds gruesome though [​IMG] - I hope I don't need to!

6. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Well I am fortunate in that I have never come across this problem of Becky's. I just looked up in the books I had and that was the only thing I could find. At least it is a useful way of using fags.