1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on lawn issue.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by gvperkins, Aug 7, 2018.

1. gvperkins

gvperkins Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, so i bought my house year or so ago with a lawn already laid, and looked fairly healthy but in need of a cut, happy days so i thought.

After a cut and tidy it became evident that it was hiding a few surprises. After a chat with the neighbours, long story short, the previous, previous owners paid some questionable men to change the mostly stone/ concrete garden to a lawn. They did this by basically smashing everything up, throwing some soil down and either seeding or turfing over the top.

The result is, I have bricks, breeze blocks, metal, glass, you name it and its there buried under my lawn (I found a windscreen wiper this week!).

So on some patches of the garden this rubbish is coming up through the grass, not lots but enough to be an issue for me, I have already dug out and filled a few of the major problem areas, but it looks like some of them are the remains of a wall and I would have to dig out large parts of the garden to get rid of it.

So, my question is, can I simply put down a new layer of top soil and re turf to bury all the nasty bits?

The grass area measures roughly 5m x 25m.

Thoughts?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Hiya gvperkins
      Well, two ways to go! Dig it all over and start again or spend time repairing the worn areas:noidea:
      The advantage of the former is that, eventually, you will resolve all the issues you now have. The downside is the hard work. :noidea:
      I think there is prob just as much work adding new top soil anyway:sad:
      If mine, I would turn over the turf ...face down some 20 cm or so deep...and deal with the problem areas as I meet them.....removing stones, debris etc
      I think putting down another layer of soil will not solve the problems you have. You could spend the whole winter digging over and preparing the ground and sow seed or lay turf next spring ......my preference as the job will be done thoroughly without pressures of time etc.......or you could get on with it now with a view to sow seed in September:)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Hello @gvperkins :sign0016: to GC and nice to have you with us :)

I have to agree with Verdun regarding what your finding under your lawn...if your able to add pictures, it helps members to help you a lot better :smile:

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,704
        Dig it all out or you'll have a lifetime of misery constantly finding garbage lifting out of the soil

• Agree Agree x 1
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,610
          Welcome to the forum! I too agree with @Verdun . It is good advice. If you dig and do over, you'll only have to go through the hassle once.

• Agree Agree x 1