Advice needed please - how would you re-pot this?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Escarpment, Sep 29, 2024 at 9:59 AM.

1. Escarpment

Escarpment Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,197
    As you can see the paler plant has sprawled right out of the pot and the growth is very heavy. What should I do? Should I cut bits off and replant them?
    Also some plant identification would be nice!
    2024-09-29_08-48-01.jpg 2024-09-29_08-48-21.jpg

2. cactus_girl

cactus_girl Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,806
    It looks like two different plants. Can you separate them?

3. Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +19,423
    The greener one is Crassula ovata 'Golum' It grows upright.
    The greyer one may be some type of Pachyphytum or Sedum. It has a sprawling/pendulous growth naturally so if you break bits off and replant them they will grow in the same way. It could grow in a hanging basket, that's where I have them, or in a tub where it can hang over the edge.

They both need good drainage and plenty of light.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Sep 29, 2024 at 10:30 AM
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +8,068
      Indeed the green one is Crassula Golum, a nice upright plant. The grey one is like Michael Hewett said, probably a kind of Sedum.

They grow like that, snaking across the soil and hanging over the edge of the pot. Sadly, they often get bald in the middle so look better if they are frequently rejuvenated by planting cut offs (or just fallen "leaves" ) there. All bits should root easily any time but spring is the best time.

I have several similar plants and because I can be a bit clumsy :redface:, break bits off all the time. I just plop them near the base and they quickly form tiny plantlets there.

Your plants look very healthy. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Escarpment

Escarpment Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,197
        Thank you @Michael Hewett and @Selleri. I bought the pot as a supermarket bargain a year or so ago, it was supposed to be an arrangement of 3 types but one had already died so it was on the bargain shelf. It's been sitting outside all summer and seems to have enjoyed it and put on a lot of growth.
        I also put a spider plant outside and that one grew its roots out of the bottom of the pot and down into the cracks between the patio slabs; it took a bit of effort to get it free and then I had to re-pot it and divide into two plants.
        All the houseplants are back indoors now.

• Like Like x 1
        • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +19,423
          Succulents seem to enjoy being outside in the summer, I put several of mine outside too. However most are not winter hardy in this country so I'm glad you've brought them indoors now.

• Like Like x 1
          • waterbut

waterbut Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +166
            You could turn the pot upside down with a hand over the bottom and give it a good shake to loosen the soil and extract the plants carefully. Then gently scrape off as much soil as you can without damaging the roots then place in a bucket of water gently shaking the plants about to remove the rest of the soil. Gently separate the roots and replant in bigger pots with the appropriate soil mix.