Advice needed with two of my plants

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by xf8u39, Dec 31, 2015.

1. xf8u39

xf8u39 Gardener

Mechanical Designer
    Ratings:
    +14
    Guys, please see the 2 attached pics. One is an avocado which I grew from the pit inJune 2014. It seems to be doing reaonably well given that it is outdoors in summer and in my plastic greenhouse in Winter.
    Question: there are two stalks. Is this two plants (ie male/female) or is this normal activity for avocados.
    Also, how long would it ordinarily need to be in the pot before planting outside permanently.

Secondly, see the pic of my Yucca Rostrata, again grown from seed purchsed on Ebay.
    Not sure whether to keep it indoors or oudoors (summer only)
    It is about 12 months old and has not grown an inch in the past 6. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Any advice welcome. Don't forget you are talking to a complete noob here.

Rgds

Michael

Attached Files:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Hi Michael, I stand to be corrected but as far as I know Avocado is not hardy in the UK, unless you can find a sheltered spot with a sunny aspect.
    A south facing wall could be possible but I think one of our cold winters would wipe it out.
    As to two plants, might possibly be two separate root systems, often that happens when you grow from seed, citrus being another plant that does this, one strong grower and a weaker one from the same seed.
    Dont think male and female really comes into it.

The Yucca, I believe, should be hardy but needs to grow on a few years before planting out.
    Personal thoughts are its in a pot too large at this stage, which could bring on root rot at this time of the year if you are not very careful with the watering.
    Bear in mind it will only grow in the summer months, so wouldn't expect much new growth until May at the earliest.:smile:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,091
      I grew an Avocado from a discarded stone several years ago and after a couple of years that threw up a couple of suckers. So it is more likely that this is the case here as I suspect that the cotylodon should have withered up by now. Personally I would nip it off in the spring. I gave mine away on freegle in the end as they can take a goodly while to even flower from seed - depending on the source (of the info) seven to twenty years if I recall correctly.

On a general note try to get as much air circulation around both plants as you can when temperatures allow to avoid fungal problems.

• Like Like x 1
      • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,998
        My big avocado it`s 5 years old , doing really well but not outside yet , they can only cope with -5c when big enough , male or female will not matter as they will not set fruit unless giving the right heat , but that is not impossible , giving 10/15 years in pot .

The yucca rostrata , many of us have been there and done there , it will not survive the rain and the frost , they are expencive because they are slow grower , apparently they only grow 1 cm a year , so before you can see something it will take ages and ages ....my suggestions with £200 you should get a decent one ;)

overall do not give up , we all been in there ;)

• Like Like x 1